1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Saudis arrest scores of terror suspects

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Doomsday101, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    (CNN) — Saudi authorities announced Wednesday that they have arrested
    hundreds of people over the past year for allegedly planning terror attacks
    against major oil installations in the country.Of the 701 arrested over the past year, Saudi authorities said 520 are
    still in detention and the rest have been released.

Some of those arrested have connections with terrorist groups based in
    Iraq, the officials said.
    –From CNN’s Caroline Faraj

Let me get this right, the Saudi Gov supports and sponsors terrorist then arrest them because the group they supposedly support tries to attack them? :eek:
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,247 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    Good, now let's just hope that some in the royal family do not let them go....or did you miss the part where around 200+ have been let go?
  3. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    The Gov arrested them members within the family are not the Gov. You don't seem to get that. What the Gov does and what an individual does is not the same. Yes there are people in SA who sympathize with these groups hell there are people in the USA who do as well. The Gov of SA have suffered more terrorist attacks against them than we have and I doubt they are supporting groups who are trying to bring them down like Bin Laden who is no friend of the SA Gov
  4. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    Saudi Arabia full of sympathizers to the terrorist cause. They are also home to fundamentalists.

Their control over certain sections of Saudia Arabia is questionable at best.

But this is good news, as they remain one of the few countries willing to help us openly.
  5. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    I agree. SA is home of Mecca the holiest place in the Muslim would and of course you will see some who are extremist but the Gov and their policy I don't think should be confused with what individuals do
  6. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,247 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    Yes but you seem to not get that the royal family HAS looked the other way, helped terrorists get out of jail or funded them. It is still the royal family. They still have power even if they are not part of the government.

We can argue semantics all day, but the end result is some terrorists get away or get help from some of the royal family...and no I don't care how large the royal family is.
  7. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    No doubt they have looked the other way in the past in large part as to not come under attack by these groups. You many not care about the size of the royal family but when talking over 5,000 members of it, it is a joke not to think that presents a big problem yet many of these member of the family are not in control and Jack.
  8. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,042 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    The biggest mistake Al Qaeda made was making a move against the Saudi royal family. As long as they were just attacking the West, the Saudis would have cryed crocodile tears to us, and continued their support for them. Al Qaeda got a big head and tried some stuff inside Saudi Arabia, but failed. After that, the game changed, and the Saudi government's attitude did too.
  9. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    The breakdown was when SA allowed the US to launch our offensive in Desert Storm into Kuwait and Iraq. Bin Laden was outraged that SA would allow our troops on their soil. Since then SA themselves have been hit by terrorist attacks
  10. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    It had nothing to do with 'sacred soil' and everything to do with ego.
    You'll notice he doesn't mind slaughtering innocents on 'sacred soil', but God forbid a foreign boot stand on it...
  11. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,049 Messages
    794 Likes Received
    I find it interesting how some react to good news.
  12. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,042 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    Yeah, this is beyond my understanding. I just don't get it. Religious fanatiscism, I guess. Like some clever Army Captain said, 'It's not like we were trying to set up Hooters in Mecca.'
  13. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    It's nothing new... This can most definitely evolve into how Bush is at fault and our policies in Iraq and Afghanistan are the root of all Mid East evil.

:D
  14. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    I don't think Bin Laden thinks like a westerner. I think this is about an extremist believe
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,841 Messages
    1,687 Likes Received
    Ben Laden is a wack job so who knows what really motivates him.
  16. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    He went to the Saudis and offered to use the Mujahideen to remove Iraq from Kuwait.

Saudi said "no thanks. US military pwns Mujahideen."

That's where it started....
  17. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Yes, an extreme ego. Which was brought back to earth with the realization that his 'Mujaheedan' didn't accomplish much of anything on it's own, without the Americans.

He's using religion in a much more crass manner than most, but he's (or was, since I think he's dead) still using it as a political tool of influence.
  18. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    What can I say I disagree? I think you are putting a western mindset on a man whose culture is nothing like ours in the West I don't see ego as a factor nor do I see his followers who would go as far as blowing themselves up to accomplish their goals that is not how we think in the west
  19. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    But some things trasncend ideological differences, and these things are core flaws of humanity.

They're not pious and lofty and above being egotists. Ego has hamstrung millions of men, before Western Civilization came about and it will continue to be mankind's achilles heel.

The poor sap at the bottom, who is deluded might very well buy into it, but clowns like bin Laden and Zawahiri are pragmatic and shrewd.
  20. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    As I said we just disagree. I do think Bin Landen believes in what he is doing and does what he does based on an extreme view of Islam just as the Taliban and some of these other extremist groups.