1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Announcement: Schedule is Out

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by casmith07, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Jstopper

Jstopper Well-Known Member

455 Messages
    548 Likes Received
    Previous years irrelevant to this one as i just blatantly showed you in my previous post which you chose to ignore, you are entitled to your opinion and I will continue to disagree. Changes very much have been made, the same core of players which majority on the defense didnt even get to play last year, and I dont believe the result will be the same. I guess we'll have to see.
  2. Wayne02

Wayne02 Well-Known Member

2,764 Messages
    830 Likes Received
    You didn't show me anything, you showed me the next year where no improvements were made and the Cowboys lost even more games. I'll go with the evidence that I've been shown the last 3 years with the same group of guys and coaching staff, and that's 8-8 unitl proven otherwise.
  3. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

54,671 Messages
    7,448 Likes Received
    At this point I see 2 things.

1. You are right
    2. You might as well save your breath.
  4. Wayne02

2,764 Messages
    830 Likes Received
    You see what you want to see, and that's fine by me.
  5. Jstopper

455 Messages
    548 Likes Received
    Agreed
  6. Jstopper

455 Messages
    548 Likes Received
    Alrighty
  7. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,188 Messages
    1,382 Likes Received
    New DC and OC. LOL @ no coaching staff changes.
    OhSnap and big dog cowboy like this.
  8. Wayne02

2,764 Messages
    830 Likes Received
    Perhaps my focus was solely on red, we'll see what the new OC and DC can do to change things.
    Denim Chicken likes this.
  9. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,603 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received
    But you kind of did.
    Wayne02 likes this.
  10. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

16,193 Messages
    3,385 Likes Received
    Good video, I agree with on almost every point.

And wise decision to keep expectations low.................Garrett is still the head coach.
    kristie likes this.
  11. Beast_from_East

16,193 Messages
    3,385 Likes Received
    LMAO!!!

We are caught in a time loop and have to relive the "Opie 500 tour" season after season after season.

SOMEBODY MAKE IT STOP!!!!!
    Bigdog24 likes this.
  12. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

28,034 Messages
    3,381 Likes Received
    Unlike you, I don't think past performance in a year-to-year, and even week-to-week league is indicative of future performance.

If I did, then the Seahawks, who were 4-12, 5-11, 7-9, and 7-9 from 2008-2011 should've had no shot to become a good team the last two seasons.
    Denim Chicken and OhSnap like this.
  13. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,188 Messages
    1,382 Likes Received
    Um, yeah that bolded statement said nothing about him enjoying losses.
  14. Corleone

Corleone Well-Known Member

1,040 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    I think we all knew, deep down lol

I was hoping it would be better but oh well.
  15. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,603 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received
    Saying he couldn't enjoy a win is almost the same thing.

Just as pathetic.

But you're right, you did't say enjoy losses.
    Denim Chicken likes this.
  16. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

4,327 Messages
    848 Likes Received
    I don't know what you guys are griping about, we have a 2nd place schedule, of course the schedule looks the way it does.
  17. Beast_from_East

16,193 Messages
    3,385 Likes Received
    Well lets look at this schedule mathematically. The NFL uses last season's end of season record to determine strength of schedule which currently has Dallas at 18th in the NFL. Now of course some teams that were under 500 last season could be over 500 this season and some teams over 500 last season could be under 500 this season, but the random fluctuations should even out and give us a good "rough estimate" of how many games we can "expect" to win.

We play 8 games against teams over 500 and 8 games against teams under 500 this season, which has us 18th in the NFL in strength of schedule. Like I said, not an exact science, but its a good baseline to start with.

Now we can apply Garrett's career winning percentage against teams under 500 and against teams below 500 to get the "expected" number of wins and losses based on historical data. Garrett has been interim/head coach for 56 regular season games and therefore we have a good sample size. So we can now apply Garrett's career winning percentages to the number of games we have against teams above 500 and below 500, which as stated above is 8 games both ways.

Jason Garrett's career winning percentage against teams 500 or better.........................194.........(.194*8) = 1.5 expected wins
    Jason Garrett's career winning percentage against teams under 500..............................920........(.920*8) = 7.3 expected wins

So that is 8.8 wins "expected" mathematically based on Garrett's career winning percentages and our 18th place strength of schedule for 2014.
    Dodger12 and Wayne02 like this.
  18. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin

12,084 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    Dude looking through this schedule there is not one game I'm 100% confident about predicting a win at this point. I ran through it a few times and get between 2-14 and 5-11 :/. Hopefully the draft brightens the outlook, this could be the end of the Romo era if not.
  19. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,772 Messages
    168 Likes Received
    thanks. :D
  20. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,686 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    So you say that past performance isn't indicative of future performance, then cite as evidence the fact that the Seahawks who improved their record over 4 years continued to improve and eventually won a Super Bowl? Genius!

By the way, past performance is really the only indicator of future performance. You think this offense that has performed well in the past will continue to perform well. I think this team's overall past performance is indicative of overall future performance.

If you don't use past performance as an indicator of future performance, you're just throwing darts in the dark.