1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Scout’s Notebook: Broaddus Evaluates Senior Bowl Practice

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 21, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,549 Messages
    3,399 Likes Received
    Bryan Broaddus
    Football Analyst/Scout

On the first day of Senior Bowl practice here in Mobile, Ala., I was able to check out the North team here at Ladd-Peebles Stadium.
    Here are my initial thoughts from Day 1:
    • Texas defensive end, Alex Okafor had a nice start to his week. There were several times he showed an explosive burst up the field and around the corner. Had some good matchups against Wisconsin offensive tackle Ricky Wagner and Central Michigan’s Eric Fisher. There were times during the season where Okafor looked less than interested but was able to disengage blocks and put himself in position to make plays.
    • None of the three North quarterbacks threw the ball exceptionally well. Miami-Ohio’s Zac Dysert probably struggled the most with his accuracy. Syracuse’s Ryan Nassib was unable to connect on some “9” routes because he put too much air under the ball which allowed the corners to work to the ball. North Carolina State’s Mike Glennon missed on some simple throws but biggest problem was I never saw him looking down the field to deliver the ball, all underneath stuff.
    • USC’s TJ Mitchell had an interception during 7-on-7 period on an overthrown pass. The one shot that Mitchell had in one-on-one coverage, he got out muscled on the route which surprised me. When in the base defense, these Raiders coaches did not have him in coverage but instead but Fresno State’s Phillip Thomas in the slot.|
    More: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...ractice-/9d1ba09e-136d-4ad8-9648-880cdfedb1af
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,840 Messages
    916 Likes Received
    Here are my initial thoughts from Day 1:

Texas defensive end, Alex Okafor had a nice start to his week. There were several times he showed an explosive burst up the field and around the corner. Had some good matchups against Wisconsin offensive tackle Ricky Wagner and Central Michigan’s Eric Fisher. There were times during the season where Okafor looked less than interested but was able to disengage blocks and put himself in position to make plays.

None of the three North quarterbacks threw the ball exceptionally well. Miami-Ohio’s Zac Dysert probably struggled the most with his accuracy. Syracuse’s Ryan Nassib was unable to connect on some “9” routes because he put too much air under the ball which allowed the corners to work to the ball. North Carolina State’s Mike Glennon missed on some simple throws but biggest problem was I never saw him looking down the field to deliver the ball, all underneath stuff.

USC’s TJ Mitchell had an interception during 7-on-7 period on an overthrown pass. The one shot that Mitchell had in one-on-one coverage, he got out muscled on the route which surprised me. When in the base defense, these Raiders coaches did not have him in coverage but instead but Fresno State’s Phillip Thomas in the slot.|

Every time I looked up, North Carolina’s defensive tackle Sylvester Williams was in the backfield. He played all day on the opposite side of the line and was difficult to block one-on-one. UCLA’s Datone Jones had his share of disruptive plays as well.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...1af?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,840 Messages
    916 Likes Received
    Um, it is TJ McDonald
  4. Hailmary

Hailmary Active Member

2,236 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Butch Davis did a heckuva job recruiting defensive talent for the Tarheels. I would love it if JJ brought him in as a special advisor or something.
  5. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

2,888 Messages
    609 Likes Received
    TJ Mitchell? lol. But Sylvester will be an early 2nd rounder imo. I wouldn't be shocked if a team grabbed him at the end of the 1st either. He's got a lot of potential and athleticism, the main questions about him are all about work ethic and motor. TJ McDonald might actually be a target for the Cowboys with Kiffin now the DC.
  6. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,414 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    "Did not see any athletic linebackers in this group when it came to pass coverage. As a whole, they all played one step behind."
  7. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,365 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Yup. :laugh2: