1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Scout on Dontari Poe: Watch him play, he didn’t do anything–

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by MichaelWinicki, Apr 1, 2012.

1. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,669 Messages
    3,187 Likes Received
  2. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,292 Messages
    1,243 Likes Received
    I highly doubt it's "starting to fade", these guys watched him all year. Maybe it's starting to fade in the yes of armchair GM's like myself, but I'd hope bench reps and 40 time don't have that big an effect on pro scouts.
  3. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,390 Messages
    646 Likes Received
    Looks like tarzan, plays like jane.
  4. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    everything i've heard/read about poe regarding game tape has been pretty bad. i don't understand how performance at the combine could change how he did in games. i pray the cowboys don't pick him. he's way too much of a risk.
  5. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.....he's a 3rd-4th round pick iMO...Mike Mamula part 2?
  6. DeepThreat

DeepThreat New Member

19 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Coaches always think they can get the most out of an athletic talent like Poe. That's why he'll go high.
  7. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    agreed, at a 3rd or 4th round pick, perfect!
  8. Texan_Eph89

Texan_Eph89 Well-Known Member

1,062 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Maybe not that bad, but he certainly doesn't deserve to be picked any higher than the 3rd round.. If he can't dominate at his level of competition with that speed and power, I doubt he can live up to the expectations in the NFL.
  9. 151

151 Member

48 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Exactly! lol
  10. poost

poost Active Member

713 Messages
    204 Likes Received
    Game tape will always be better than combine numbers. The combine is a means to see which prospects performed better or worse than expected, so you can go back and look at the the tape to evaluate them more.
  11. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

2,013 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    Casserly and Mayock said the opposite. Who the heck knows
  12. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    Yep, they both still love the guy. He's definitely a high risk/reward guy. I totally get the concern though.
  13. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Shocker.

3 years of doing nothing catching up with the guy?

Real shocker.
  14. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,331 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    Or it never really sparked in the first place with scouts since it's the media where most of the noise about him is coming from.

The media will blow combine stats out of the water and we all know just because a guy is a physical freak, doesn't make him a football player.

Al Davis has made this error 100s times it seems (dear lord, Raiders fans!) and Jerry more times that I wish to remember.
  15. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,084 Messages
    4,560 Likes Received
    He got mixed reviews about his play.
  16. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    Fans need to stop getting so wrapped around the underwear olympics in Indy.
  17. Brian_C82

Brian_C82 Member

466 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He's a 350 lb paperweight. Let the Skins waste their money on him.
  18. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,496 Messages
    2,904 Likes Received
    Exactly.

The guy is a "workout warrior", you know the type that just looks great lifting weights and running 40s, but totally dissappears when you turn the projector on.

Stay away, I would rather draft a guy that made plays on tape but didnt do that hot in shorts and tee shirt.
  19. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,525 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    Here is the problem with Poe. His coaching at Memphis was flat out terrible. They say he never did anything of note, but that team has been horrific for the last few seasons from top to bottom. They had three wins in the last two years and two of them were against lower tiered opponents. They were throttled by their C-USA foes. They were a total embarrassment in every way.

I am not an advocate of picking the guy because he would need a culture of no tolerance and strong player leadership to thrive. He has been in a school where doing okay was acceptable, so he took a lot of plays off. He needs that mentality coached out of him.

I don't think Dallas currently has what he needs, so they should probably pass, but if he latches on with the right team he could have a few years of dominance up until he gets that second contract.

He was a monster in the weight room and he was never on the ground even though he was sometimes triple teamed. If he gets on with teams like the Steelers, Ravens or 49ers, he will be a force. A team in transition like Dallas or the Redskins, hello JAG.
  20. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Yep, some coach will convince themselves that he can teach him better technique and he'll be a beast.