1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Scouting the OGs: Jonathan Cooper, UNC

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Jan 26, 2013.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,423 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
    PHYSICAL MAKEUP:

Cooper presents as a prospect that fits within the required minimums for NFL guards. Standing at 6’3 and weighing 295lbs, Cooper may have to put on a little weight once he arrives in the League. Cooper is put together well. His weight is well-distributed throughout his compact body. His legs and rear are thick, providing him with a good, natural anchor. Cooper presents as a well-conditioned player that takes care of himself. He has a tight mid-section and doesn’t project as a guy that will get sloppy on the next level.

STRENGTH/PHYSICALITY:

Jonathan Cooper displays adequate strength to project as an immediate starter in the NFL. As stated above, he may have to add a little more weight in order to consistently hold his ground against the bigger, stronger NFL Defensive Tackles. But there’s nothing on film to raise a red flag regarding his natural strength. Cooper consistently explodes into his assignment and generates a good snap on contact. On one play that I scouted, Cooper managed to turn a LB into a pretzel once he laid his hat on him. There were a few moments, however, when Cooper would stop moving his feet upon contact with a bigger and seemingly stronger man. He would bend back a bit, which is a concern when projecting his ability to hold up against the bull rush. With all that said, Cooper presented as a player that is plenty strong enough for Sunday football. While his best fit might be in the ZBS, I see no reason to suggest that Cooper cannot be equally successful as an in-line blocker in the NFL.

http://firstroundgrade.com/2013/01/13/scouting-the-ogs-jonathan-cooper-unc/
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,411 Messages
    4,960 Likes Received
    Jonathan Cooper
    NFLDS: 6-3, 310
    Scouts Inc: 6-3, 320
    UNC Roster: 6-3, 295 (note, this was the same weight as last year)
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,940 Messages
    2,155 Likes Received
    If we had to take an OG with our 18th pick--so if we was by far the BP at that point--I'd be fine with Cooper.
  4. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    Agreed.
  5. danielofthesaints

danielofthesaints Well-Known Member

1,053 Messages
    105 Likes Received
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,686 Messages
    1,624 Likes Received
    barely adequate strength is a big RED FLAG if you are talking about a guy in the first or early second round.

Guys what makes him different then Arkin?

Arkin supposedly is very mobile and nasty and such.

And is weak.
  7. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Absolutely.
  8. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    I don't see where it says "Barely adequate strength".
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,686 Messages
    1,624 Likes Received
    when someone says adequate I get seriously suspicious
  10. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    If we are drafting an OG, unless he projects as an All-Pro, I would prefer dropping into the mid-20s or so. Last year DeCastro and Zeitler went right around there and I think that is a fair spot to pick a guy with a Pro Bowl projection at the spot.

The one exception to the above is if you think the guy can be a very good Center, I'd probably be okay drafting him at #18 without an All-Pro projection so long as he had a Pro Bowl projection.

I still think our best move would be to go DL or trade down if no DL graded out well on the clock. I'd like Kawaan Short if he were still on the board. He looks like a prototypical 3-tech that helps make the Tampa-2 go. He also seems stout enough to take on some double teams.
  11. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    The one thing I'm not worried about in a player is if he'll get stronger in the NFL, expecially with Woicik as the Strength coach.
  12. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    I wouldn't mind Short at 18. Jordan Hill is another one I really like. Might be available in the 2nd.
  13. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,940 Messages
    2,155 Likes Received
    I've said it earlier:

picks 18 + 47 = picks 27 and 29 roughly

A pick, if we had a Dlineman grade the same as an OG, I'd take the DL.
    But if the OG is top on our board at 18 and the value matches the spot (so no trade down option), so be it.
  14. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    How has Arkin done? Strength is his one major weakness and he has regressed if anything.
  15. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    Arkin's problem is more than just strength. It's TALENT.
  16. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,423 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
    Cooper has gotten it done in the ACC, it aint the SEC but good enough. Arkin was plaing against a bunch of future fork lift drivers. Cooper will be fine if they go that direction.
  17. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    :)
    You might want to look again. Arkin has some of the best feet of any lineman on the team. He is great on the move. His is so far behind on strength that none of it shows.
  18. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    The problem with many of these smaller guys is that they lose at the LOS. It was always Kosier's problem when he was here. These third and goals from the one yard line are much better with big powerfull linemen. I would like this team to have the ability to run the ball down the defense's throat. Kinda like the 49ers. It depends on what you want out of the line.
  19. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,423 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
    Hey I'm with ya. Didnt Bama's O line running rough shod over ND in the Championship game make you envious? My point is I think Cooper is strong enough at the point attack and I'd be fine if he was the pick. Just dont think he will be.
  20. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    :lmao2: