1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Scouting the OTs: DJ Fluker, Alabama

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Jan 30, 2013.

1. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,287 Messages
    1,234 Likes Received
    He seems like an LT to me.
  2. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,056 Messages
    952 Likes Received
    I like Fluker alot. He may not look the smoothest or fastest out there but he's a football player.

Kinda developing into a pet cat, I think
  3. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,194 Messages
    2,033 Likes Received

I think his arms are too short for LT but if he could be a LT, that's not a bad problem to have. We could move Smith back to RT, where he played much, much better anyway. Either way, I think we could probably draft Long a little later and get very good value there.
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,667 Messages
    1,487 Likes Received
    Can we all agree that Fluker, Faulk and even Long are likely upgrades over what is being trotted out there now. Only question is value, where do you get em.
  5. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,056 Messages
    952 Likes Received
    Yes, I think that's a fair thing to say.
  6. CowboysLaw87

CowboysLaw87 Active Member

599 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    Fluker is a less athletic, more assertive Cordy Glenn. And for the record, I'll take that trade off. I really liked Cordy last year because of his position flexibility. I figured at worst, here's a guy that'll be a darn good OG that could bump out to either OT spot in a pinch (or to RT full time if Free struggled).

Fluker doesn't have a high ceiling as a pass protector at OT, but his 37" arms certainly help. With some minor technique tweaks, I think he'd be adequate there. And he could be the game's best run blocking RT. An A+ run blocker and a B- pass protector (where Romo can see the rush anyway). Yes please.

But initially I'd play him at OG, where his run blocking is highlighted and his pass pro concerns diminished. He'd be a Day 1 starter at OG, and a really good one at that. He allows us to release Free, start Parnell, and bump out there if need be.

Smith-Fluker-Costa-Livings/Berny-Parnell

That's a much better OL (particularly run blocking) than in 2012. And it could only cost a 2nd rounder.
  7. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,667 Messages
    1,487 Likes Received
    Nut shell at worst pass blocking stays same and run blocking takes huge step forward. I totally agree.
  8. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,056 Messages
    952 Likes Received
    We could really use a massive run blocking tackle or guard on this team. Fluker is ideal. I really liked Glenn last year, but I like Fluker better--because of his strength and assertiveness (as mentioned above)
  9. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,707 Messages
    5,860 Likes Received
    Cordy Glenn
    6056, 345, 5.15 forty

I don't expect Fluker to break 5.5 in the forty.
  10. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    then we shouldn't ask him to block anyone 40 yards down field??

that's a very weak complaint imho.

in the SEC he proved plenty able to block down field for multiple seasons.
    he was a day 1 starter on a great collegiate ol.

dont think nate newton had any speed. many other guys along our ol either. we need guys who can actually block, we have guys who can run pass people and whiff or get driven back into the QB now.

i hope he runs a slow 40 and falls to us in r2 because he projected much higher right now.

anyone who watched the games saw a guy destroy people play after play.
  11. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    If we're going OL early, this is the type of guy I would want. A G/RT swing who plays guard initially and sticks there for 10 years because he's so dominant or a guy who could replace Free at RT down the road. A potential Alex Boone, Josh Sitton or Marshal Yanda type.
  12. Aliencowboy

Aliencowboy Active Member

611 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    If Lane Johnson isn't there, I'd love to pick him at 18.
    Watch Fluker against LSU and Bark or watch him
    manhandle Jenkins#6 in the Georgia match. He'll do fine
    in the NFL at RT. He'd be an instant Pro Bowler at G.

This guy has great football instincts and I've never seen
    a college tackle be as dominant as he is in the running game.
    Take him at 18 without a doubt. He'd bring an attitude to
    the OL it hasn't seen in a decade.

13. xwalker

13,707 Messages
    5,860 Likes Received
    The forty is a general indicator of quickness/athleticism. I would prefer 10-yard time, but it's not always available.

I just look for the measureables to match what I see in game footage when comparing players. Measureables aren't the end-all-be-all but they can be informative.
  14. xwalker

13,707 Messages
    5,860 Likes Received
  15. xwalker

13,707 Messages
    5,860 Likes Received
    Even if Fluker can play RT in the NFL, I would expect him to be much better at OG. If the Cowboys were running a power-man blocking scheme, then I would be in favor of drafting him as a Guard.

Fluker going against Mingo in college is different than Fluker against Mingo in the NFL. NFL defenses are more complex in terms of blitzing, etc.. Also, pass-rushing against Alabama was difficult because defenses had to make stopping the run the top priority. That will not happen consistently in the NFL. There will be games in the NFL where the pass-rushers can just Tee-off on rushing the QB. College defenses rarely, if ever, did that to Alabama.

I see Fluker as a less athletic Leonard Davis. A guy that was a disappointment at OT but dominant as a Guard in a power-man blocking scheme (until the got too fat).

Either way, it's all opinion. It will be fun to come back and revisit this in a year.
  16. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    great link man, thanks!
  17. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    what the HECK are some of you watching? This guy was DOMINANT in the SEC...I mean, he isn't perfect but who is? I'd be a tad nervous at 18 but a trade down to 23ish and he could be had plus the extra picks: just a thought.
  18. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I understand that Fluker doesn't fit the zone blocking scheme, but the two free agents that Dallas signed last year was not zone blocking linemen. As I said in a previous post, when players such as Warmack, Warford and Fluker don't fit the scheme, the scheme needs to go. I don't care about linemen blocking at the second level when they can't get a push and block at the first level. Dallas tried these small quick linemen and found out that they get no push at the LOS. The lack of size and power is one reason that the Cowboys can't run the ball in the red zone. 290lb linemen just can't get it done IMO.
  19. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,056 Messages
    952 Likes Received
    Exactly.

Give me a line with the likes of Warford, Warmack or Fluker and I'll actually be excited for the next season.

This team is deficient in strength.
  20. xwalker

13,707 Messages
    5,860 Likes Received
    I think Livings and Bernadeau were not the Cowboys first choices. The cap penalty, the Carr signing and the 29.77M of dead-money might have caused the Cowboys to just grab some bodies to fill out the roster.