1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Scout's Eye: Evaluating Abram Elam

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Arch Stanton, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Scout's Eye: Evaluating Abram Elam

By Bryan Broaddus
    SAN ANTONIO -- One of the many ways a scout evaluates players is through film study. It is the best way to get a true read on the ability of player and how he might fit into your scheme if you were managing to try and secure his services.

This summer I had the opportunity to sit down and watch Michael Huff, Abram Elam, Eric Weddle and Dawan Landry, all safeties that would be unrestricted free agents in the coming year once the lockout had ended.

My study of Huff and Weddle was really to try to catch me up to speed because the Raiders and Chargers were opponents of the Cowboys in 2009. The study of Elam and Landry was not as fresh in my eyes because I had not seen them play in a while.

Read more:http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4681478/scouts-eye-day-8-evaluating-abram-elam?
  2. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,058 Messages
    2,298 Likes Received
    I heard Broadus say this morning that he is about ready to give up on AOA.
  3. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,954 Messages
    1,394 Likes Received
    Good for him.

That makes me like AOA more then. (Now you can note that I'm not high on the guy, or low on him, I don't have a real opinion on him. But I'm just not a fan of BB too much. )
  4. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,345 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    I've seen Broadus have things he said fly right back in his face on several occasions. I think there is a reason he is a former NFL scout.
  5. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,297 Messages
    4,657 Likes Received
    Having a great safety is a tremendous asset. But having an adequate one is good enough. A key does not have to be golden to open a lock.
  6. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Broaddus is really drinking the koolaid this year. He was on for two hours last night and was arguing with the host who disagreed with Garrett's words that what we'd done this offseason was "really outstanding" (or exceptional, or whatever superlative it was that JG used). Dismissed what the Eagles had done and said just fans want big names, almost like "This ain't Madden."

Also seemed to think that practically every position on the defense will benefit this year.

One thing I've learned from listening to Broaddus for a couple of years now is that scouts get pet cats and players they dislike right away just like fans on message boards. Thought they'd be more objective, but it seems like there's a lot of confirmation bias going on in both directions.

I'll go reinforce my PM box now.
  7. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

3,387 Messages
    769 Likes Received
    :laugh2: AOA has practiced a handful of times in the NFL and Broadus is ready to give up on him.

A kid from a D2 school who was injured the majority of last season and didn't get an offseason this year while trying to learn the Free Safety position is having a difficult time? I am shocked.
  8. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,392 Messages
    1,421 Likes Received
    They only signed Elam to a 1-year deal, which tells me that have different plans at safety. I would probably think the same thing with Sensy, but he may have his own ideas as well.

Ryan Clark of Pittsburgh isn't this super safety. But, he's a smart player who knows his position and can quarterback the deep coverage responsiblities and put the players in the right places. The result? Polamalu is put in the best position to play to his fullest capabilities. Obviously, Sensy is no Polamalu, but I like the signing.

YR
  9. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
  10. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    One thing I've learned from listening to Broaddus for a couple of years now is that scouts get pet cats and players they dislike right away just like fans on message boards

of course they do

the are really just like us

:eek: :rolleyes:
  11. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,058 Messages
    2,298 Likes Received
    Hey he was down on Jason Williams last year too and we saw how that turned out.
  12. FLcowboy

FLcowboy Hopeful this is the year Zone Supporter

3,697 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    And why ESPN snapped him up.
  13. TD-33

TD-33 Benched

2,542 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Every time I read from "a Scout's Eye" I do this :rolleyes:
  14. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,345 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    My guess? They want a better safety, but this is all they can get right now.
  15. TD-33

TD-33 Benched

2,542 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Let me give a run-down on the scout's eye's observation of Elam.

Huff and Weddle are better.
    Ryan's FS & SS are pretty much interchangeable.
    Elam is average.
    Elam is a good choice because he knows Rob's defense.
    Vs Patriots and Saints, Elam played as a safety and- that was instrumental in helping the defense (although he is did I mention -average)
  16. JIGGYFLY

JIGGYFLY Active Member

1,370 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    He also said during this training camp that Bennett was "soft" at the point of attack while blocking.

Has that ever been an issue with Bennett?
  17. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,126 Messages
    7,848 Likes Received
    Sensabaugh said this week in an interview that Dallas had offered multi-years, but that he didn't think that was the right move for him, personally. I'd heard the same about Elam, but it came from a talking-head, and I don't recall where.

I think we offered low-market rate 2 or maybe 3 year deals to them both, and they both decided a one year offer to play under the lights in Dallas in the new defense was a better opportunity.
  18. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,618 Messages
    2,511 Likes Received
    And Brett Maxie was on saying that Kwasi was the future. Everyone has an opinion. If he is wanting to give up on a guy after 10 or so practices then more power to him.
  19. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    I believe I heard that it was Williams' attitude that finally got him cut.
  20. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,618 Messages
    2,511 Likes Received
    One thing about Broaddus is there realy seems to be a good Broaddus and a bad Broaddus.. i really like him when he is systematic and technical in his approach. You most often see him do this when he is talking about linemen.

Then he starts doing vague stuff like this piece and it just does not compel me. I would like something more than 'moves like a strong safety.' Quite frankly that tells me nothing.

When he talks about linemen he will talk about kick outs and sets and punch and all that stuff. Here we get 'moves like a strong safety.' That basically just invites me to use my imagination and that just tells me he is not giving me anything worth a flip.