1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Seahawks Michael Bennett: I Won’t Take Discount, ‘This Is Not Costco’

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 12, 2014.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl You already know why I'm here Staff Member

67,991 Messages
    8,086 Likes Received
    by Glenn Erby | Posted on Wednesday, February 12th, 2014

Bennett says he will sign with the team that wants him most when he hits free agency on March 11. The Ravishing Rick Rude of NFL pass rushers also told the Seattle Times that he wouldn’t take a discounted off to return to Seattle.

As Bennett put it, “this isn’t Costco.”

Read more at http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2...count-this-is-not-costco/#FlhtfmgSWDHsg0qh.99
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,804 Messages
    8,610 Likes Received
    He's right. But, man, there's something I just don't like about the guys in that family, and I'm not sure what it really is.
  3. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

7,062 Messages
    2,473 Likes Received
    He would probably be singing a different tune if they came up short on a ring.
  4. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

950 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    Clown family. Just let him walk and save the money.

I think the Seahawks are in a great position. They have a winning culture in place, they can let go of some of the greedy clowns and re-sign their priorities. Plus upgrade via the draft (it's not as if Bennett's a world beater).
    GimmeTheBall! and Lonestar94 like this.
  5. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,217 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    Classic example of a player who's going to get paid too much money just because he was on a Super Bowl roster. Now it's just a question of whether it will be Paul Allen or somebody else who does the paying.
  6. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,523 Messages
    725 Likes Received
    He seems as dumb as his brother
  7. Sifillest

Sifillest Member

474 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Uh....seems pretty smart to me. Dude was a key contributor to a super bowl winning team. You want his services, pay him his money. it's not like he was a scrub when he got to Seattle...The one year deal was essentially a discount.
  8. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

22,364 Messages
    1,689 Likes Received
    Maybe not a scrub, but he wasn't all world, either. He put together 15 sacks and 85 tackles during his 4 years in Tampa, which aren't tremendous amounts. The one year deal he got was not a discount. It was the best he could get at the time.
  9. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,650 Messages
    2,307 Likes Received
    Seattle should franchise him and then pull the offer before the deadline.
  10. ftghb

ftghb Active Member

170 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    he had a good year, but if he's looking for a bigtime investment, seattle should probably move on. Pass rushing DEs are not that hard to find on the open market or in the draft.
  11. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

24,271 Messages
    1,643 Likes Received
    Now things will get more interesting for Seattle. WHen their guys who they've been paying those small deals to start getting paid the big money.
  12. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

6,034 Messages
    495 Likes Received
    I doubt it, he's an undrafted NFL player. He is going to make the majority of his life's earnings in the short time span of his playing career. Why would he, or any other player take a hometown discount? It only makes since for veterans like Tom Brady or Tony Gonzalez to take a discount for winning. I can't believe people think he is stupid for thinking this.
  13. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

7,062 Messages
    2,473 Likes Received
    I never said he was stupid. If I was in his situation, I would want the most too but if I came up real short of a ring........I would probably want to stay to get it. The "hometown" discount shouldn't be that much of a difference.
  14. 65fastback2plus2

65fastback2plus2 Well-Known Member

2,091 Messages
    1,342 Likes Received
    theyve positioned themselves to be able to let them walk and fill their positions in the draft.
  15. basstapp

basstapp Well-Known Member

1,170 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    Why give a discount to a team. Make the money while you can. An NEW team isn't going to pay your salary when you don't provide results (ware)
  16. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

24,271 Messages
    1,643 Likes Received

Which is fine. As long as they don't miss.

These guys start walking and they start missing on picks things get more interesting.

That's what makes FA so interesting. The way it can, especially over the course of a few years, eat the talent of a team away.
  17. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

13,604 Messages
    951 Likes Received
    LOL

"Clown family"
  18. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

13,604 Messages
    951 Likes Received
    I half my suspicions. But, well, if not stupid, Bennett at least needs to learn some, um, public diplomacy or at least not come off so prima dona-ish.
    He might as well demand his due, though, in the not-to-distant future he will be just another ex-NFL player declaring bankruptcy. That is just the world we leaf in.