1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Sean Lee officially put on IR

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Nation, Jul 1, 2014.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,713 Messages
    3,465 Likes Received
    I'm guessing that they've reached the date where players can be put on the PUP. I thought that at the PUP date, that players could either be put on PUP or IR.

This is how I thought the IR/PUP timeline worked:

Before PUP date: Players must pass through waivers before being put on IR.

At the PUP date: Any injured player can be put on either the PUP or IR without passing through waivers.

After the PUP date: Once a player takes 1 snap in practice they are ineligible for the PUP and must pass through waivers if moved to IR.

Cut-down day: Any injured players can be put on IR without passing through waivers.
  2. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,423 Messages
    1,419 Likes Received
    I just used common sense and stated that Lee would be on IR. For that i was told by alot of posters i had no sense of football or medical field because there have been so many advances in mordern medicine that Lee would be able to come back at the end of the yr. No superpowers needed to see that this team would go this route with Lee. Only reason they didnt do it before is because they couldnt.
  3. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,364 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    Well there ya go.
  4. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,309 Messages
    1,203 Likes Received
    I think a lot of people wanted to hope he could come back and help the team this year...but, it would have made me really nervous to get back in there....I am kinda glad that he can't try to come back early and aggravate things...he can focus on his coaching skills since he will likely need them....now, just find a replacement or two
  5. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,973 Messages
    3,181 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  6. Carolina Cowboy

Carolina Cowboy Active Member

357 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    How many years did they put him on IR? ;)
  7. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,099 Messages
    1,360 Likes Received
    Well, they were wrong... and if they actually thought that the odds were overwhelmingly in favor of Lee playing at the end of 2014, then they lack an understanding of that injury.
  8. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,171 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    I believe you can do this before TC starts. Once TC starts you cannot IR anyone until the final cutdown unless they pass through waivers. This means teams don't need to burn a spot on the TC roster on someone who has no chance of playing or participating in camp.
  9. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,317 Messages
    677 Likes Received
    Glad he's on IR and can fully rehab. Next year is the last chance saloon.
  10. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,713 Messages
    3,465 Likes Received
    Yes, it's tricky because you can't put them on IR before this time or after TC starts without exposing them to waivers.

The Giants tried to move a TE to IR in May a couple of years ago and the Patriots claimed him. The Giants cried that there was an unwritten rule that teams would claim injured players, but Belichick blank-you to them.

The other example is when the Cowboys tried to move Nagy to IR during training camp. He was claimed by Detroit.
  11. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,171 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    I'd love to get some more clarity on this rule. Obviously this is closer to the Ballard situation but not exactly as the TE had an injury from the previous season whereas Lee got hurt in minicamp. The Nagy piece is clear - he was on the 90 man roster to start TC.

Be interesting to find out (BTW -- I searched the internet on this and pretty much all I got that was relevant was ... this thread)
  12. EST_1986

EST_1986 Well-Known Member

592 Messages
    363 Likes Received
    Amazing prediction nostradamus
  13. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,237 Messages
    641 Likes Received
    What's this guys contact status? obviously he just signed ... But when can we let him go? Not saying we should or would. Just curious.