1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Seattle D-line

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LatinMind, Feb 2, 2014.

1. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,654 Messages
    685 Likes Received
    At the time, the front four of Ware, Hatcher, Ratliff and Spencer seemed like a dream first team. It all fell apart, but you can't blame people for thinking that was going to be a formidable bunch. The only one that ended up showing up was Hatcher, and that was probably the guy people were least excited about out of the four.
  2. mahoneybill

mahoneybill Active Member

625 Messages
    152 Likes Received
    Agree. They had 2 - 3 guys hitting like a runaway freight train on every play. It was truly impressive to see them play that way the whole game.
  3. mahoneybill

mahoneybill Active Member

625 Messages
    152 Likes Received
    Many don't realize the point you are making. Jimmy had his version of Carrols defense with the SB winners. Depth and rotation were hallmarks of his success. Let the D line create the pressure, not always a sack, and the opposition will make mistakes, then grind them with you O line, RB, and
    hit them with a deep shot on occasion.

It wasn't until the first SB that Jimmy let Aikman loose with Irvin in terms of the passing game, then he'd close out with Moose/Emmitt and a dominating O line performance.
    Jarv and tyke1doe like this.
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,717 Messages
    5,246 Likes Received
    Not to me it didn't. The writing was on the wall with Ratliff. He shouldn't have even been considered. Ware had shown clear signs of breaking down physically. Spencer had a whopping one year of playing at an elite level and was coming off a serious injury. Age wasn't friendly with any of them.

I wasn't surprised at all with how it turned out and thought Jerry's comment of it being "a real strength of the team" was one of the most idiotic comments he's ever made. And this is a guy who could stock a small library with his dumb statements over the years.
    daveferr33, Common Sense and wileedog like this.
  5. StevenOtero

StevenOtero Well-Known Member

6,317 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    No way man, the vital role to a good D is a front 7 that can generate pressure. How hard is that?

If last night's game doesn't prove to even the dumbest of fans that games are won at the line of scrimmage. I don't know what will?
  6. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,654 Messages
    685 Likes Received
    I was fine with the front 4 but when they passed on Floyd and ignored DL throughout the rest of the draft and FA, I knew we were screwed because they thought they were perfect at the position.

I've seen that kind of arrogance before at a position. It's that sort of arrogance that leads to you playing a 285lb DL at NT in the 3-4. It's that type of arrogance that leads you to trading a 1st round pick for a WR of all positions, like we'd never done anything similar in the past and had it blow up in our face. Once the staff starts feeling confident about something, you know your screwed.

Just like they are so confident about being able to mange the cap right now. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that we are going to be absolutely screwed by the cap sooner rather than later.
  7. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,032 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    I still think their secondary is what makes that defense special. Best corner in the game and 2 excellent safeties.
  8. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,291 Messages
    433 Likes Received
    What you saw last night is the product of a complete defense. I do appreciate what a good front 7 can do for your D, but to say good secondary play doesn't play a role or isn't important is being narrow minded. Having a complete defense should be the goal, not just a good front 4 or secondary.
  9. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,387 Messages
    1,727 Likes Received
    No, we need to draft three safeties in the first three rounds. I read it here.
    JonJon likes this.
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,765 Messages
    3,751 Likes Received
    Legion of What? I have to hand it to you guys...you're willing to believe the opposite of whatever it is you see on the field in order to stay consistent with an agenda. I guess that counts for something.

Meanwhile, SEA is the best example I can think of right now of a team that build a defense by being consistently good at every position. And they're deep. If you can look at that secondary and *not* see them delivering every bit as much as the SEA lunchpail DL rotation, I don't know what to tell you. Double points for doing it while snarking at the kinds of rotational role players in Crawford and Bass that SEA trots out on a regular basis and just won a Superbowl with.
    Ntegrase96, Kaiser and casmith07 like this.
  11. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

1,467 Messages
    337 Likes Received
    You're right sir .
  12. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

2,013 Messages
    391 Likes Received
    All you need is a good passrush. Thats the secret to having a great D. When you have a passrush that can create pressure with just 4 men up front, the pieces will start coming together.

Seattle's D reminded me of the 90s Cowboys. I don't know how we ever went away from that blueprint on building a defense. But what were doing is surely not working.
  13. chicago JK

chicago JK Well-Known Member

1,547 Messages
    119 Likes Received
    The salary cap makes it difficult but Seattle really has a deep and talented defensive line. I always thought that was a unreported strong point of our 90's teams. When you can come after teams in waves, it can really cause havoc. I guess we can all dream what they league might have seen if Ben Bass was healthy this year.
    Common Sense and Risen Star like this.
  14. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,717 Messages
    5,246 Likes Received
    Just imagine how sweet it will be this year with Ben Bass being coached by Ben Bloom.
    Common Sense likes this.
  15. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,152 Messages
    1,096 Likes Received
    It was amazing watching them catch a 4 yard crossing route and get pushed back to the line of scrimmage. Their defensive linemen ran down 2-3 screens for negative yardage. That is the epitome of "swarming to the ball".
  16. chicago JK

chicago JK Well-Known Member

1,547 Messages
    119 Likes Received
    And ROD MARINELLI finding and evaluating all this new talent.
  17. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,152 Messages
    1,096 Likes Received
    Man, if we only had Crawford and Bass healthy, we would have been contenders.
    Common Sense likes this.
  18. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

23,305 Messages
    3,538 Likes Received
    Ben Bass.

[IMG]

Ready for this NFL?
    Risen Star likes this.
  19. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

9,897 Messages
    2,802 Likes Received
    A team with a top 3 CB and top 3 Safety and really good LBs and a really good 2nd Safety prove that the game was won in the trenches?
    Kaiser likes this.
  20. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,765 Messages
    3,751 Likes Received
    You two are getting a lot of mileage out of mocking a role player who's shown some potential. Nice work!

Just promise me you won't waste all the good vitriol complaining about the backups, so we can still look forward to some zingers aimed at whoever we do sign and draft, ok? I mean, before you both move on in august to complaining about whatever the next hole is to fill that we very obviously didn't get around to this offseason. Because that's always fun for us.

I'm thinking this year that might be QB, but I say that knowing there's still the chance that we'll lose someone good in the preseason and that could open up a whole new horizon for criticism that we haven't even thought of yet. Knock on wood! I'm also thinking that Demarco Murray's leg looks a little wobbly. A strong running game is so important!