1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Senator says it's time to change immigration laws

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by JBond, May 22, 2009.

1. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Senator says it's time to change immigration laws

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D98A4T2G1&show_article=1&catnum=0

WASHINGTON (AP) - Contending that U.S. borders are more secure than ever, Democratic Sen. Chuck Schumer said Wednesday it's time for the White House and Congress to overhaul immigration laws to stem the number of people coming into and living illegally in the U.S.

"We can pass strong, fair, practical and effective immigration reform this year," said Schumer, D-N.Y.

President Barack Obama plans next month to meet with a small bipartisan group of Senate and House leaders to discuss immigration with the intention of beginning debate on the issue later this year, according to an administration official who requested anonymity because the White House was not ready to announce the meeting. Schumer was expected to be among those attending.

At a hearing on border security Wednesday, Schumer cited reports from the Customs and Border Protection officials saying that the number of people arrested as they tried to cross U.S. borders illegally has dropped.

Schumer said that the number of people captured along the border with Mexico between Oct. 1 and May 15 was down 27 percent from the same period the previous year. Along the U.S-Canada border, the number was down 13 percent.

The lower demand for labor in the U.S. and stepped-up border enforcement measures are behind the decrease, Schumer said.

In the past few years, the federal government has built fencing along the U.S.-Mexico border, installed surveillance technology and added hundreds of law enforcement agents to combat illegal immigration.

During an April 29 news conference, Obama said the country can't go on with a broken immigration system.

"What we want to do is to show that we are competent and getting results around immigration, even on the structures that we already have in place, the laws that we already have in place," Obama said, "so that we're building confidence among the American people that we can actually follow through on whatever legislative approach emerges."

In three tries over three years, Congress failed to pass an immigration bill, mainly due to opponents' insistence on dealing first with border security. No one has said who or what will determine whether the border is secure, and the mantra "border security first" has allowed lawmakers to put off dealing with the nearly 12 million people living in the U.S. illegally.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

76,269 Messages
    2,338 Likes Received
    Really we do not need reform and new laws we need to enfoce what we have on the books now.
  3. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    That won't happen. Obama needs to have his name on it somehow. Maybe he can go back and stick his name on some of the thousands of existing laws and we could call it good.
  4. Doomsday101

76,269 Messages
    2,338 Likes Received
    One thing for sure a law means nothing if you will not enforce it. The way Republican and Democrats have handled immigration has been a complete and utter joke.
  5. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,026 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    The question we all have to ask in these types of situations is....'Who benefits from this? Where's the money in this (immigration thing)?'
  6. Doomsday101

76,269 Messages
    2,338 Likes Received
    Without trying to get partisan Dems have benefitted the most with the Hispanic vote and support from groups like La Raza on the other hand republicans have benefitted from business who want to use cheap labor. The loser is the American Tax payer who is paying the cost, with jobs and with the excess cost of social service programs that cost states like Cal. with a cost of $10.5 billion per year
  7. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,026 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    Don't disagree with you at all on those conclusions.

I have worked in jobs that had a number of illegal aliens there. They were generally good, hardworking people, who, in many ways, were just after the American Dream.

I think that the advantages to the various power players has lead to there being no movement on some sort of solution.
  8. Doomsday101

76,269 Messages
    2,338 Likes Received
    I don't hold it against them I understand why they are here and understand they are good people but they still under cut pay for American workers I have to laugh when they say an American will not dig that ditch that is why the illegal’s are here the fact is the American will not dig that ditch for less than minimum wage. The other problem is the burden on the social services that are paid for by American Tax Payers. When I go to another country I abide by and respect the law of that nation I expect nothing less from those who come to this country. If you want to gain legal status great I have no problem with people who come to this country legally
  9. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,689 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    I actually agree with that. The problem is that meanwhile, those of us who live and work here legally and are actually stupid enough to pay taxes have to foot the bill for these untold millions and millions of people. We pay for their health care (that's why they go to the emergency rooms every time they have a head cold), we pay for their children's education, and the sad fact of the matter is we are paying an awful lot of money to incarcerate the ones who aren't hard working, honest people.

It's absolutely amazing that so many people don't realize how expensive cheap labor is.
  10. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I'd rather see them do something about illegal immigrants. Therein lies just as much of a threat to terrorism if we liken it to the desperation and poverty situation in the Middle East. Sooner or later, poverty will be a factor, if not already, in a terrorist plot or smuggling of weapons of some sort. It could happen right out of Mexico and most likely would, given the ambiguous intent on the government to actually do anything about those who are milking the social security system dry.