1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Sending Jerry a Message By Not Buying Cowboys Merchandise - Question?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WPBCowboysFan, Jun 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carharris2

Carharris2 Well-Known Member

1,469 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    Defeatist attitude. There may be reason for it, but some fans realize in sports and in most competition the winner is decided 6 months before the game. It's much easier as a fan to say we will lose. I know. You're being real. Why even watch it or talk about it.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014
    Heelsboy and casmith07 like this.
  2. Carharris2

1,469 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    Fans attitudes have no affect? I think Seattle's fans attitudes affect that team quite a bit.
    Heelsboy, casmith07 and Fredd like this.
  3. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,958 Messages
    1,520 Likes Received
    so you and jnday want to just pack it in when we play a winning team, I get it...I will be there with the hope and expectation of a win (knowing they won't win every game)....

Realists have no wiggle room at all....I noticed that I didn't get any comment on the @ philly game last year from any of the realists....they were underdogs...that - loss...not so much
  4. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    No, actually I expect us to win every week except against the very best, most elite teams of that particular year... And even then I know we have a good chance, because we have have the talent to win.

Too bad my attitude didn't prevent a losing record over the last 37 games and repeated incredible fourth quarter losses, though.

Also, for the record, I've never labeled myself a realist except maybe as a joke. This idea that people must be put in a particular group so they can be taken to task for their beliefs is one of the worst things about this board.
    Cowboy_Shawn likes this.
  5. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,958 Messages
    1,520 Likes Received
    but, to me, playing the elite teams gets me most excited....there is nothing to lose...especially if you (in general, not you specifically) feel like it is a loss anyway...beating the best teams is possible for even the worst teams, and the cowboys have enough talent to win any game, regardless of the opponent - even Seattle in Seattle
  6. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Label me what you will. I like for other fans to judge me by their stendards. I am the same now as I was in the early 90's.
  7. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,420 Messages
    641 Likes Received
    I have several items that I've had for many years -- most of which were gifts or bought 2nd hand. I considerCowboys' souvenirs to be sorely overpriced and totally unnecessary for a fan to be a fan. There are enough fans buying that stuff that it won't likely make much difference whether certain individuals quite buying them or not. The Cowboys have enough sources of revenue that they'll continue to prosper regardless of what isolated instances of fans might decide to do. If buying Cowboys' souvenirs is important to you as a fan, here's some sage advice -- don't shortchange yourself from doing that which gives you pleasure. The Cowboys were immensely prosperous long before you ever started buying their souvenirs and will surely remain that way long after you quit.
  8. Carharris2

1,469 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    Thank you.
  9. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,574 Messages
    2,950 Likes Received
    Usual suspects...
  10. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,417 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    'Any given Sunday' has never been more true than today. There are no Super teams. SEA gets a big advantage from being at home, but it mainly comes down to who wants it more. Dallas has the talent to beat any team, any week, but sometimes they bring a lackadaisical attitude to the game. And they always seem to commit 4 or 5 terrible mistakes/penalties that just kill them.

There haven't been any games in the last 5 years that I thought they couldn't win. Some I didn't expect them to win, but not that they couldn't win. The people that claim they are 'realists' are just pessimists that don't want to put anything in the pot. If they expect to lose, they at least feel vindicated if it happens.

I see those type of fans as addicts. They keep doing something out of habit or dependence and not for enjoyment. I wouldn't waste the time watching or thinking or talking about the Cowboys if it didn't bring me any kind of joy or excitement. But that is why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors. To each his own.
    Carharris2 and Proximo like this.
  11. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,533 Messages
    1,221 Likes Received
    I wont speak for everyone, but this labeling fans who have a desire to see the team succeed and voice opinions that the current operation is preventing that is a little too binary and dismissive. I buy Sunday Ticket, coaches film, I live in LA and will go to training camp a few times. I dont travel to games in Dallas or go to many/any live games as I frankly see the TV coverage as a better experience/view. I dont buy merchendise like I used to probably becasue 90% - I got older and having Cowboy license plate or snuggy just isnt that appealing.

I do watch every game and spend an inordinate amount of time talking and reading about the team. However, I also bet the NFL regularly and that opened my eyes on objectivitiy. If I was a Jags fan and loved watching them like i do Dallas, I am not going to expect a 11-5 season and over inflate the "changes" and optimism from a Blake Borltes or Gus Bradley.

That said, while not a perfect analogy, I somehow view my fandom similar to having a kid. I am overjoyed with every win, hurt with every loss, do appreciate when they are building a solid foundation, etc. However, when they mess up, I feel ok in voicing an opinion about it whether it changes their path or not. And if they are throwing the life away in my estimation (e.g. drug addict, etc.) I feel that I reserve the right to not support that lifestyle if I choose not to do so. THat doesn't mean I dont love them.

Being a fan of a professional sports team (i.e. men who play a game for money for a finite amount of time) is inherently not a rational thing for any adult to really do. It shouldn't provide any emotional impact on anyone - but it does in some nostalgic urge. Therefore, if people ebb and flow over differeing times with the same team, I think the the ebb is actually a more migration to a rational reaction. However, sports are an escape and the more winning tends to lend itself to more happiness although it is irrational. Losing sux and it there is a need to explain and rationalize that away.
    Dodger12 and bkight13 like this.
  12. hornitosmonster

hornitosmonster Well-Known Member

4,426 Messages
    445 Likes Received
    I will buy some hats and Jerseys before the season starts. Boycott if you want, boycotting the Cowboys is as useless as boycotting the oil companies over gas prices.
  13. d_dub88

d_dub88 Active Member

217 Messages
    136 Likes Received
    If you want to boycott you have to get people to stop watching televised games. The money is in the TV deals.

Good luck with that. I won't be joining.
  14. Carharris2

1,469 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    Dude, you were in one good movie. Get over yourself :)
  15. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,595 Messages
    2,474 Likes Received
    I stopped watching ncaa athletics awhile back. i dont buy their products. i did this because i think how they use those kids is wrong.
    5Stars likes this.
  16. hornitosmonster

hornitosmonster Well-Known Member

4,426 Messages
    445 Likes Received
    You really made a difference
  17. the_h0wey

the_h0wey Well-Known Member

1,086 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    I tried the whole don't buy Cowboys gear to hurt Jerry, but the problem is all my friend and family know I'm a homer so I've been getting Cowboys gear for my Birthday/Christmas. This is a good problem to have.
    5Stars and WPBCowboysFan like this.
  18. FuzzyLumpkins

16,595 Messages
    2,474 Likes Received
    Who is to say whether or not I did. That is besides the point. I stand by my principles.

The O'bannan and Northwestern cases are what they are.
  19. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,417 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    Giving them for free what other kids pay over 100k is real abuse.
    WPBCowboysFan and Chocolate Lab like this.
  20. FuzzyLumpkins

16,595 Messages
    2,474 Likes Received
    First of all, they are not given anything for free. When you go to work, do they pay you for free?

Texas A&M estimates the cost of a year there to be around $40k.

https://financialaid.tamu.edu/Undergraduate/Cost-of-Attendance#0-CostofAttendanceDetail

IOW, Jake Matthews and Johnny Manziel worked last year for $40k. Further they were not allowed to find other employment in any way shape or form.

In 2012, Texas A&M made almost $120m.

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews...s-that-made-100-million-revenue-in-2012.html/

85 scholarships at $40k a pop is $3.4m in payroll. Really expensive schools like Stanford might see a $7m payroll.

It's a travesty and i am glad to see between the O'bannon and other cases that the NCAA usury is about to come to an end.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.