1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Sending Jerry a Message By Not Buying Cowboys Merchandise - Question?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WPBCowboysFan, Jun 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theranchsucks

theranchsucks Well-Known Member

838 Messages
    290 Likes Received
    I just bought 7 jerseys from China (just as good as the ones Jerry sells), and I don't pay for NFL network. Cowboys get anywhere from 6-9 games televised a season anyways and the other times I go to the bar.
  2. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,085 Messages
    1,459 Likes Received
    Especially for those kids that wouldnt even be there if it wasnt for their athletic ability.
  3. 65fastback2plus2

65fastback2plus2 Well-Known Member

931 Messages
    390 Likes Received
    I tried to hold out...woot got me with their 2 cowboys tumbler cups for $4.
    casmith07 likes this.
  4. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,753 Messages
    726 Likes Received
    I do not understand the undying loyalty to any organization in sports. If you don't like the way your team is being ran by the higher ups, the greatest power you have as a fan is to stop watching that organization, stop buying stuff from that organization and become a fan that pays money to an organization that you deem fit to be a fan of.

I wish Jerry Jones was not the General Manager of the team. I still think we can win a Super Bowl with him as the GM, I just think the organization would be better off with somebody else as GM and I think it's impossible to be as effective of a GM as you can possibly be when you are also the owner of the team.

That said, all in all...I'm happy with being a fan of the organization. That and there are no other organizations that I have the desire to root for.

Growing up in New York, I was born a Yankees fan. But by 1990 I was fed up with Steinbrenner and decided I wasn't going to be a fan of another team until Steinbrenner was gone. Then we found out that Steinbrenner was trying to use a low-life gambler to dig dirt on my favorite ballplayer growing up (who also has a squeaky clean image), Dave Winfield. Incredibly, my prayers were answered as Steinbrenner was banned from baseball and I allowed myself to root for the Yankees again. When Steinbrenner finally came back, I was nervous but he definitely changed his act. In the end, I still empowered myself as a fan by not being blindly loyal to the team.

I think Jerry is to many people here what Steinbrenner was to me at that time. The difference was I couldn't go into every season and almost every day hating the owner of my favorite and thinking that it was useless as long as he was the owner. If that was the case, then I would look like the fool. And then I would become a fan of hating George Steinbrenner rather than a fan of the Yankees. And nothing would ever change, including my misery as a fan.

YR
    Proximo, bkight13 and birdwells1 like this.
  5. WPBCowboysFan

5,085 Messages
    1,459 Likes Received
    There's your mistake
    65fastback2plus2 and casmith07 like this.
  6. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,314 Messages
    451 Likes Received
    My 10 year old son is a Cowboys fan and I bought him a Dez Bryant jersey for Christmas, but I have the 70s and the 90s to hang on to he doesn't.
    jnday likes this.
  7. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,297 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    Big mistake. He got to enjoy around 20 playoff appearances and 5 more World Series wins.
  8. bkight13

2,297 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    It's just a ridiculous argument. They are students who play sports, just like volleyball, soccer, field hockey and track athletes. It's a completely voluntary transaction. Everyone of them had the best day of their life when they signed a letter of commitment for a scholarship. Just because football and basketball make money the players should get a part of it? Then help build the stadiums and arenas, build the dorms and the classrooms, arrange for travel and insurance, pay for your own books, food and tutors.

Since other sports lose money, should those players be charged a fee to play? College fans have followed football at their schools for over 100 years. Go back and watch any footage from the 20's, 30's,50's 70's, the stands were packed. They root for the front of the jerseys, not the backs. If today's athletes are too stupid to take full advantage of the lottery ticket they were given because they can throw or shoot a ball, then I have no sympathy for them. I played college football and it's a big commitment time-wise, but nobody came to my dorm and said I had to play. it was my choice.
    Tawney88 likes this.
  9. WPBCowboysFan

5,085 Messages
    1,459 Likes Received
    [IMG]
    65fastback2plus2 likes this.
  10. bkight13

2,297 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    You obviously do
  11. WPBCowboysFan

5,085 Messages
    1,459 Likes Received
    Apparently, not nearly as much as you do.
  12. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,753 Messages
    726 Likes Received
    And the Derek Jeter era.

The Mariano Rivera era.

The Paul O'Neill era

Perfect games from David Wells and David Cone.

I also got to see Jack McDowell almost get lynched after giving the finger to the fans (I was at that game).

YR
    bkight13 likes this.
  13. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Active Member

824 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    Some make it seem like:

"Resistance is Futile"...anything you touch Cowboy is going to have Jerry smiling all the way to the bank - we are powerless.

This almost sounds like hearing Jerry has the business equivalent of the perpetual motion machine - he will make money no matter what. Really?

He has not suffered a hit in revenue yet, but when it does it will matter to him. He may or may not dig his heels in.

The only thing that has not been tried is a fan revolt, but again some say it would be hopeless. It's hopeless only if you never try...lots of "hopeless" things worked out when people tried.

BTW, I've been here less...I tire of people telling me I MUST love the person that has kept the Cowboys from being a contender.
  14. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,787 Messages
    1,412 Likes Received
    No not everyone of them 'had the best day of their life' and the 'ridiculous' argument is winning in federal court. You can live in whatever made up fantasy land you like. In my world, collusion amongst firms to not pay workers is bad and when it done to kids it is especially egregious.

BTW your fantasy land is about to come crashing down.

NLRB already has stated they are employees doing work that makes the schools money.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...northwestern-wildcats-union-vote-nlrb-ruling/

The O'Bannon case is about to be decided.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...annon-antitrust-case-vs-ncaa-monday/10588447/

And Kessler is about to argue anti-trust and if you have been paying attention to sports over the last 60 years, you had best worry about the NCAA winning because clubs have been getting their ***** handed to them over and again on this point for the entire time.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ffrey-kessler-files-antitrust-lawsuit-vs-ncaa

FWIW Kessler had the following to say when he filed the suit:

Notice that he makes the same 'ridiculous' argument?
    daveferr33 likes this.
  15. WPBCowboysFan

5,085 Messages
    1,459 Likes Received
    Who knows, maybe at some point in the future all students can get paid to go to school. Dont they deserve it? Or what about the ones who have their picture used in the school catalog, or school website? Shouldnt they be compensated? Just pay them all. I mean after all, its for the common good. All of society would benefit, right?
  16. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,958 Messages
    2,328 Likes Received
    I think the best way to close up this discussion is such: misery is a choice. You either continue to wallow in your anger, hatred, and misery, or you just choose to let it go.
  17. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

36,131 Messages
    3,139 Likes Received
    This thread is being closed since the posts are getting political and before people get into trouble.
    casmith07 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.