1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Senior Bowl Week

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CATCH17, Jan 24, 2011.

1. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,157 Messages
    1,336 Likes Received
    Woooooooooooo.. Set your DVR's!.

I think they are televising the practices all week too.

Should be interesting to see how things develop for the Offensive Tackles this week.
  2. BigWillie

BigWillie Well-Known Member

1,667 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    http://www.sidelinescouting.com/srbowl/weigh-in/

Weigh-in results are there.

IMO, just based off of these ..

Biggest winner - Nate Solder. 6'8 314lbs, and looked trim still yet.

Biggest loser - Noel Devine. 5'7 160lbs - his new nickname is Titanic, because his draft stock just went down like that.

--

Keeping my eye on my Nebraska boy, Eric Hagg. He was a late add to the Senior Bowl. Measured in at 6'1 206.

I really believe he is going to be an absolutely outstanding FS or SS at the next level for somebody out of this draft. Never played just a regular FS position, but instead played in the nickel, covering the slot, and played the PESO (hybrid LB) for Nebraska. He had a phenomenal year, even covering smaller slot receivers. Finished the year with 5 INTs.

The one thing that was most impessive however is Hagg's ability, even at his size, to set the edge on run plays. Really good understand for his use of hands and understanding leverage in run support.
  3. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,157 Messages
    1,336 Likes Received
    I would take Devine in a certain role.

He is a lot like Danny Woodhead actually.
  4. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Woodhead has about 35 lbs. on Devine.

I wish Devine was a little more dynamic as a kick returner. He didn't even return punts in college. He would be a whole lot more valuable if he could play a Dexter McCluster role as a kick returner who could also play some slot and nickel RB. It will be hard for a team to use a roster spot on a Devine as a small role player when he can't contribute on special teams. He would get swatted away like a gnat on coverage teams.
  5. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,157 Messages
    1,336 Likes Received

Eh... I like him.

Get him the ball in space.. Watch him accelerate with lightning speed.. Then cringe with how hard he gets hit.
  6. kevinhickey

kevinhickey Member

319 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I watched several Nebraska games this year and I came away impressed by Hagg's coverage skills. I think Nebraska used him at several positions, linebacker and SS.
  7. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,817 Messages
    65 Likes Received

I like him but he probably wont fall to the luxury rounds for us

And your player comparison is both accurate and unheard of in the media.
  8. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,092 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Jack of all trades, master of none. He's the type of player who plays in the nickel and dime packages and special teams. ( late 5th, 6th, 7th rnd, or undrafted free agent )
  9. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Devine isn't going until 6th or 7th round. He's a dime a dozen player. If you're going to get a midget slot WR, might as well get a Jerrel Jernigan, who's actually more of a good football player than a YouTube sensation.
  10. MarionBarberThe4th

11,817 Messages
    65 Likes Received

He rushed 728 times in 4 seasons. Hes not purely a WR. Hes a guy you let return kicks, punts, and throw into the offense sporadically throughout the game.

I would have liked to see some more TD's but he turned into the every down guy instead of the lightning to Steve Slatons thunder. 8 yards a carry as the change of pace, then his average rounded out to 6 YPC once he carried the load
  11. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,157 Messages
    1,336 Likes Received
    He's also not lost as a runner between the tackles. The guy can read a block.

But he will have the same concerns every midget has coming into the league.

Definetely a luxury choice.
  12. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    He never returned punts, and he was mediocre at best returning kicks. He never returned a kick for a TD in his entire collegiate career, and his longest kick return in 4 years of college was for 48 yards. He didn't have enough breakaway speed for college to score many long TDs, much less NFL. He played in a gimmicky option offense in college that got him the corner that he doesn't have the speed to do on his own in an I formation or single back set, particularly not at the NFL level. If it were for him being a YouTube sensation 5 years ago, no one would care about him.
  13. MarionBarberThe4th

11,817 Messages
    65 Likes Received

Doesnt have the speed? He is going to set the combine on fire.

I can see where someone would be wary of him w/ the size and injury history but he has the speed to be a weapon in the NFL. Hes not going to be am every down back so I dont see what relevance your opinion on him in the I would matter. Even though he did carry a lot up the middle in college and had a solid average(Again, that was whilst being misused)