1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Senior safety has improved Jaiquawn Jarrett

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by UnoDallas, Nov 4, 2010.

1. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I’ve been on the Jaiquawn Jarrett bandwagon ever since I first saw the Temple safety as a sophomore back in 2008.

At 6-0, 197 pounds, he plays with impressive body control and balance in his drop, is fluid when asked to get in and out of his breaks and does a really nice job playing the football in the deep half of the field.

Overall, he looked liked one of the cleanest athletes in space in the safety class and showed enough to warrant a potential starter grade based off his summer tape.
    However, he looks to have improved his game even further this season answering two big questions I had about him coming into the year.

1. Can he improve as a tackler?
    2. Can he improve his overall feel in zone coverage recognizing routes and getting earlier jumps on the football?

And so far up to this point the answer has been yes on both counts. He looks more physical attacking downhill in the run game, as he takes good angles, sees what he hits and has displayed a little more thump as a wrap-up guy. And when asked to play in zone, he’s doing a much better job feeling routes develop around him and quickly closing on the football.

Now, the one knock on him is that he isn’t the most explosive of straight-line athletes and lacks idea make-up range, which is true, as he doesn’t look like a guy who will run in the low 4.4 range. However, I certainly think he is fast enough because of his ability to cleanly redirect and change directions to make plays in an NFL secondary, as he looks like one of the top senior safety prospects in the nation in my opinion.