1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Should have never let Eric Walden walk

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by DallasDW00ds0n, Jan 6, 2013.

1. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,150 Messages
    233 Likes Received
    Should have never let that dude walk... bah!!
  2. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

8,016 Messages
    497 Likes Received
    It's taken him almost five years to actually make an impact and last night was his second best game as a pro.

I rue losing Amendola, but not this guy.
  3. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,499 Messages
    408 Likes Received

Nobody misses like Dallas. Our Front Office shovels sand with a rake.
  4. DallasDW00ds0n

3,150 Messages
    233 Likes Received
    Would have been perfect timing since a Spencer departure seems nearing plus Butler doesnt make for a consistent water boy
  5. IAMKING

IAMKING Benched

1,253 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We only keep developmental QBs who never arrive.
  6. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

1,535 Messages
    697 Likes Received
  7. DallasDW00ds0n

3,150 Messages
    233 Likes Received
    You caught me ! Busted!! my agenda as a fan for the Dallas Cowboys is to just bash and dont actually LIKE this team, AMIRITE??
  8. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,966 Messages
    1,746 Likes Received
    Walden an OK 3-4 OLB. Not terrible. Not special.

Spencer is obviously a superior player.

However, if you look at it from a value perspective, Walden is paid $725/year -- vs $8.86m for Spencer. So Spencer got paid 10x more this year and assuming he gets $10m/year from someone next season he'll be getting roughly 13x more.

Between Walden and the Packers undrafted free agent OLB Desmond Moses, they got 7.5 sacks at a cost of $1m or so. I suspect the Packers are perfectly fine with that kind of performance at that price when they already have Raji and Matthews also pressuring on the front seven.

This kind of "value-based" strategy is something the Cowboys will have to consider when they contemplate resigning Spencer or not.

You can only have so many $10m/year guys on the team -- is Spencer one of those guys?
  9. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,366 Messages
    970 Likes Received
    Good, then Butler should start coming around anytime now. :lmao2:
  10. perrykemp

5,966 Messages
    1,746 Likes Received
    Truthfully, Walden is just an average (at best) 3-4 strong side OLB -- nothing more and he bounced around quite a bit before he caught on with the Packers.

You can't rue losing Walden.

Having said that, there is nothing wrong with having "OK" guys like Walden on a team at $725k as opposed to filling every spot with a $8-10m/year guy.
  11. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,690 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    We really liked Walden and thus drafted him on potential.

Issue was he couldn't play special teams.
    So he was a body we needed to keep on ice.
    When they tried to sneak him onto the practice squad that failed and he left for KC who kept him very shortly.

He was through two other short stints before landing in GB and because they suffered injuries he got to start and produced an amazing 3 sack effort.

That has kept him going. But make no mistake, GB has been trying to replace him in the starting lineup continually.

He is not a better player than Victor Butler. Not a far worse one either.

If we want him we can go get him. He is an UFA this season.
  12. perrykemp

5,966 Messages
    1,746 Likes Received
    Walden could be a cheap servicable option if the front office does let Spencer walk.

I think he is a big better than Butler because he is a bit more rugged and looks to slightly better against the run. Also, he had 2 interceptions this season.
  13. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,690 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    He is an almost identical player to Victor Butler for right at the same cost.
    Both guys about 6'2" and 250 pounds. Both guys averaging about 3 sacks per season when granted consistent playing time.

Neither guy is someone you start by choice. But both are solid options when injuries hit.
  14. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,690 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    He also got far less pressure on a per snap basis than Butler.

Green Bay fans hate this guy and think he is a bum.
    That's why GB drafted an OLB in the first round last year in Nick Perry.
  15. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,172 Messages
    5,646 Likes Received
    I agree with majority of your post, but I think he's a little better than Butler. I'd only bring him in for depth, not to start.
  16. perrykemp

5,966 Messages
    1,746 Likes Received
    Agreed the Packer are attempting to replace Walden.

I guess when I am going with this is almost a Sabermetrics view of a position. Packers got 22 sacks from the 4 OLBs in Matthews, Walden, Perry, and Moses at it cost them roughly $4.4m:

Packers:

Matthews: $1,930,000
    Nick Perry: 1,363,500
    Walden: $725,000
    Moses: $391,000
    ---------------------
    Packers OLB sacks: 22
    Packers Total $4.4m for OLB position
    Packers cost per sack: $200,000

Cowboys:

Ware: $7,546,000
    Spencer: $8,856,000
    Butler: $739,000
    Albright: $465,000
    --------------------
    Cowboys OLB sacks: 25.5
    Cowboys Total $17.6m for OLB positon
    Cowboys cost per sack: $1,270,000

So the Cowboys are spending (in salary) 6x as much as the Packers per sack by their OLBs. The question is why?

If the Cowboys resign Spencer for $10m/year a year the cost goes up even more.

Nothing wrong with spending a lot of on position, however, I wonder sometimes about the relational value of how some of these big contracts play out and suspect that a good measure of teams like the Packer's success is predicated on putting together a reasonable blend of salaries and looking for "value" players.

Again -- the application of Sabermetrics thinking in football fascinates me -- not sure if it can really work since baseball (as opposed to football) is such an individual game -- especially hitting, however, it can't hurt to try to apply some of those theories and see what happens.
  17. Yuma Cactus

Yuma Cactus Active Member

706 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    So Sabermetrics would have you believe that when Clay Mathews wants $15 mil a yr they should let him walk.
    The problem with the baseball math theories in football is great players require other teams to commit more resources to deal with their greatness (which don't show in the stats) and allow other players to get the #'s.
  18. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,717 Messages
    686 Likes Received
    Well, the first step to solving a problem is admitting you have one. :p: Seriously, the guy has had two good games his entire career. One just happened to come in a playoff game, and now, we should have never gotten rid of him. PFF has him rated at something like -35, meaning he's way below average. Can't overreact to one game.
  19. perrykemp

5,966 Messages
    1,746 Likes Received
    I hope nobody is arguing that Walden is at best, mediocre.

My question is this -- is Walden's production at $725,000/year worthwhile compared to Spencer's at $8,800,000 (likely ~$10,000,000/y if the resign him)?

It helps frame the conversation of deciding whether or not the Cowboys should break the bank on Spencer.
  20. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,717 Messages
    686 Likes Received
    Sure. You're always trying to get value throughout the team. It's a tough balance. If Spencer walks, and they go cheap at SOLB, can they use that money to improve other areas, thus hopefully making the team better as a whole? That's what they have to decide.