1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Should we have signed Peyton?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Pessimist_cowboy, Sep 17, 2013.

1. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,982 Messages
    1,309 Likes Received
    I agree with everything you said except that we were not in a position to have a chance at Peyton. If we we wanted him we could have tried to get him.
    We also passed on players liker KAP and Wilson in the draft.
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,481 Messages
    8,380 Likes Received
    There's no better QB to have than Manning. He'd have gotten the most out of this talent. I think it's foolish to think he'd get killed behind this OL. He'd make the line better.
  3. ufcrules1

6,982 Messages
    1,309 Likes Received
    Ok, I got ya. Sure, I'm on the same page with you on that. However, he would have been quickly forgiven with the superbowl win. :)
  4. Risen Star

21,481 Messages
    8,380 Likes Received
    Agree with everything but the end. Every team in the league had the opportunity to land him. The Cowboys chose not to try. They probably didn't even entertain the thought but it's not like we're talking about a group of sound decision makers here.
  5. bark

bark Well-Known Member

2,259 Messages
    948 Likes Received
    Can't argue those points. Unfortunately we will never know.
  6. ufcrules1

6,982 Messages
    1,309 Likes Received
    Right, I mean after all they paid your favorite player over 100 million.
  7. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

968 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Can we be real for a second.

The reason why Peyton signed with the Denver is so he can smoke all the weed he wants for his "pain". I can see him contacting Eli one day about doing a rap commercial for Direct TV while exhailing all that smoke.

He wouldn't come to Dallas because he wouldn't have the freedom to run the offense that he wants.
  8. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

3,006 Messages
    1,052 Likes Received
    Except the 2 sacks Fred gave up and the missed assignments in the running game and the constant pressure he was under in the 2nd half and the bruised ribs caused by the OL in the Giants game, etc.
  9. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,331 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    Weren't we paying Romo like 13 Million that year?

How could we afford Peyton plus Tony?
  10. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

1,432 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    Thats true....
  11. kruddy

kruddy Duffer

131 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    We missed the boat when we let sean peyton walk and kept Parcells.
  12. Risen Star

21,481 Messages
    8,380 Likes Received
    I'd have done whatever needed to be done to land Peyton. If you got him, then you'd have to trade Romo and start cutting other players to absorb that cap hit.

Normally I would scoff at these types of Madden moves but not for Peyton Manning.
    Ender likes this.
  13. Risen Star

21,481 Messages
    8,380 Likes Received
    It's not hindsight when you wanted to make that move all along. If people thought he was done, that's their bad.
    Ender likes this.
  14. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,033 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    It's always easier to take those risks when it's not your money.
  15. Risen Star

21,481 Messages
    8,380 Likes Received
    Yes. We can't have Jerry taking that risk on Peyton Manning. Better to play it conservative with those sure things we've seen in Dallas the last 20 years.
    Ender likes this.
  16. theranchsucks

theranchsucks Benched

968 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    Pretty foolish to even think about signing him at the time...no one knew what he was going to be after the neck injury and a desperate Broncos team, Arizona and SF no QBs at the time where interested in him and took a long shot on him cause they had no other options.

Also, even if Jerry was interested in Peyton there was no way he was coming here as he has made it clear he wanted to stay clear of Eli, so no way he would have came here.
  17. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,342 Messages
    960 Likes Received

Hmmmm....i don't know if even Manning could have made that bad o-line play last year any better.

Romo seemed to face a jailbreak on a regular basis and if not for his mobility likely would have been sacked a ton more. Manning has no mobility to speak of so I'd be shocked if he'd have avoided any of the many sacks Romo had to avoid just to survive last year.

Of course with Manning you're right you'd be running a different offense so maybe he could have found a way to hide the fact that the o-line was basically swiss cheese.
  18. venky

venky Active Member

439 Messages
    79 Likes Received
  19. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

3,853 Messages
    586 Likes Received
    You say that as if the Cowboys ever had a realistic chance of being able to sign Manning.

You think the Cowboys could have afforded Revis, Manning and Carr all on the same team? Ever heard of a salary cap?
  20. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,331 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    I agree w this. Not sure why anyone else would ever be against it. Makes no sense to me.