1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Should we re-sign Jenkins?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CowboyChris, Dec 4, 2012.

1. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,705 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    what have we seen out of Jenkins this year to warrant re-signing him? has his value gone up or down?
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,418 Messages
    4,965 Likes Received
    He will be a starter on another team.
  3. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,003 Messages
    720 Likes Received
    Jenkins would not resign here unless we made him the highest paid CB in the league.

True story.
  4. Prossman

Prossman Active Member

946 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    Last I heard he wanted between 10-15 million a year. :lmao:
  5. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,789 Messages
    2,525 Likes Received
    I'm sure we'd love to re-sign him but he's going to seek a big contract and we will move on.
  6. yentl911

yentl911 Well-Known Member

1,611 Messages
    314 Likes Received
    No chance he stays. Soft player with an attitude problem. Buh bye....one more wasted first round draft pick.....you guys see a trend here?!?
  7. CowboyChris

2,705 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    does he warrant a big contract? is more the question, not saying we have to give it to him.
  8. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,789 Messages
    2,525 Likes Received
    Who knows? I am sure he will get one bigger than we would offer.
  9. lwehlers

lwehlers Well-Known Member

1,113 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    no! we need to draft another young cb in middle rounds to replace him. claiborne and carr make to much money to invest in a slot corner.
  10. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,738 Messages
    643 Likes Received
    I imagine the Cowboys will offer to match any reasonable offer he receives. And Jenkins will decide to go elsewhere for the same amount of money. Just like with TE Bennett.

I really don't think Jenkins wants to be in Dallas at all. I'm guessing he will be visiting Miami, Jax and TB as soon as FA begins. He will play decent but be nothing special.
  11. Roadtrip635

Roadtrip635 Well-Known Member

770 Messages
    315 Likes Received
    It would be hard to make a case for resigning him with the type of contract he thinks he's deserving of. He's also made of glass, just can't stay on the field too many injuries.
  12. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,595 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    Seems Dallas has done everything in their power to drop his stock. Good business but some team will overpay and he doesn't strike me as the kinda player that is gonna give it his all once he gets his deal.
  13. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    We have a lot of money invested in our CBs, but I like the our line up better without Jenkins in there. Mo, Carr and OScan is a great group of dudes. I'm really so happy to watch these guys. I can't remember any time cept for the 90s when we had a better group of guys than this.
  14. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,924 Messages
    1,799 Likes Received
    In my opinion, no. He does not warrant the kind of contract he wants. I think he warrants a nice contract only because of the fact that he can cover when healthy and he does play a premium position in the NFL. For that he will get a nice contract but not a premium one IMO. He doesn't tackle well and he doesn't stay healthy. He has not shown the ability to be a guy who works hard to improve in the off season and he has also not shown that he is a team guy.

I think the Cowboys will let him test the market and see what he brings. If the price is too steep, I think they will just let him walk. However, it really depends on a couple of things IMO. What do they think of Spencer and how badly do we want to keep him. What will Romo sign for and lastly, how much do we really like Jenkins? We could think about using a "none-exclusive" franchise tag on Jenkins which, as I understand it, consists of an average of the top 5 salaries at the players position over the last 5 years or 120% of the players current salary, which ever is greater. If a team then offers more, the Cowboys could elect to either match and keep or refuse to match, in which case, we would be entitled to two 1st Rd picks as compensation. Would depend on what the number of the top 5 salaries over the past 5 years works out to be and the other issues mentioned earlier.
  15. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Yeah...
  16. dallasfan4lizife

dallasfan4lizife Well-Known Member

2,655 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    I've seen him make 1 play all season.

so hell no don't resign him. We need play makers, and currently sean lee is the only game changing playmaker
  17. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

2,976 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    No..why keep pumping money into this roster?
  18. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,403 Messages
    315 Likes Received
    Hatcher found no takers when he hit the market so who knows. He might come back for one more year if nobody out there bites. I doubt he gets too much money since he's hardly played and hasnt shut too many guys in the few chances he's gotten so far. If I was Jerry and this happened where he could return rather cheaply I'd move Carr to FS and let Jenkins start at CB. Now if we can find an adequate solution at FS in the offseason then it's bye bye Jenkins.
  19. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,595 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    Sometimes that's an indication that a corner is doing his job.

Jenkins is a very good pure cover corner. But if a guy is already making 'business decisions' at this stage his career, doubt he's gonna give you much after you make him a very rich man.
  20. CowboyChris

2,705 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    great post... spot on