1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Should we trade back to gain picks in 2013 Draft?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by kirkjrk, Nov 6, 2012.

1. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Should we stand pat with our six picks in 2013 draft or trade back to gain picks? A few scenarios are listed below.

Teams with 7-9 records last year picked 11th and 12th in this year's draft.Teams with 8-8 records drafted 13th- 19th. So I selected 14th as our draft position for next year. Shouldn't be to far off, 1 or 2 places.

Scenarios: All figured off Draft Pick Value Chart

1. Stand pat with our 6 picks.

2. After first trade stay with our 1st and 2 2nd round picks

3. Take 14th pick plus 3rd round pick and trade back for 18th pick plus 2nd round pick. We now have 2 2nd round picks and no 3rd round pick.

In this scenario we go ahead and pick at 18th.

We can then take the 2 2nd round picks, if we like, and their value could get us back in at the 20th pick. Overall we get the 18th and 20th pick but no longer have a 2nd or 3rd.

4. Take 14th pick and trade back for 23rd pick plus 2nd round pick. We now have 2 2nd round picks and retain our 3rd round pick.

In this scenario we go ahead and pick at 23rd.

We can then take the 2 2nd round picks, if we like, and their value could get us back in at the 21st pick. Overall we get the 21st and 23rd pick and no longer have a 2nd round pick. We do have a third round pick

5. Something along the lines of Scenario #3 to some extent. 14th traded for 18th pick and then we select at the 18th pick. The change is we trade the 2 2nd round picks back to 26th for a 1st and 3rd round picks. We regain our 3rd round pick and still select 2 1st round picks--18th & 26th. We no longer have a second but do regain our 3rd.

Of course all the above would depend on getting teams to work with us, which I believe is very possible.

Your thoughts on these scenarios or others you might recommend.
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,100 Messages
    2,221 Likes Received
    Always, ALWAYS, depends on the draft board on draft day.
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,542 Messages
    1,413 Likes Received
    Just one little problem. The guy who is doing the trading back. His history with trade back moves isnt good, 09 and 95 for example.
  4. kiheikiwi

kiheikiwi Maui No Ka Oi

804 Messages
    96 Likes Received
    Not usually a fan of trading back, however this year I would def. do it. Some sort of deal where we get late first and a second. Then just use them, Guard or OLB/DE in first depending who's left, then safety and the opposite of what we took in the first. We def. need to come away with multiple picks that hit this year.
    My only complaint about the Claiborne trade up was that it cost us our 2nd round pick. I know and understand that Claiborne will eventually be worth the picks, but we are not a good enough team to give up that 2nd round pick. Any combination of Safety, guard and OLB/DE in first 2 rounds has to be made.
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,812 Messages
    4,888 Likes Received
    Depends on who is available when we pick and what we could get for the pick. Just to throw a number out there let's say we end up picking 14th. If we could move down 3 or 4 spots and get something early/mid 3rd I'd do it.
  6. MartinRamone

MartinRamone Well-Known Member

1,470 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    I never like trading down.
  7. rash

rash Member

859 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    absolutely. there is a lot of depth in rounds 3 and 4. we can definitely take a gamble on an akwasi owusu-ansah type of player...
  8. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,229 Messages
    505 Likes Received
    that worked out well. Stay put and draft OL/DL.

Stop being cute and drafting athletes or players with potential or back-ups.
  9. dez_for_prez

dez_for_prez Active Member

1,045 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Since I want interior O line in the first I would look to trade down to where ever I believed I could grab the best Guard.
    DeCastro went 24th and Zeiter went 27th. I would look to trade back into the early 20's. Who knows we may even be picking after that:cool:
  10. rash

rash Member

859 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Let's be frank here...

Akwasi Owusu-Ansah never got a fair shot while he was out here.

I'm willing to bet if he were playing in place of Scandrick this past Sunday, that tackle would have been made, giving the offense a chance to take the lead at the end.

Say what you want about AOA, but his play speaks for itself. How many of yall actually watched him in training camp and off-season practice? I swear the guy looked like a young Charles Woodson at times (notice I said at times).

You don't let guys go that hold so much promise. 3-5 didn't happen by accident folks.

(And no... please don't blame Antonio Ramiro Romo here)

I realized I digressed a bit here, but I hope I've made my point--cogently.