1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

SI's top 10 OL prospects.

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by btcutter, Nov 30, 2010.

1. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,669 Messages
    167 Likes Received
  2. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Outside of Sherrod this years 1st round prospects make me want to puke. The value in this class is in the 2nd and 3rd rounds then it falls off dramatically. It's really a piss poor year to need OL help.
  3. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,632 Messages
    495 Likes Received
    I've been hearing a lot lately about Tyron Smith moving to the top of a lot of teams' boards. He doesn't really enjoy the classroom aspect of college and USC can't go to a bowl game next year so I won't be shocked if he leaves early.

SI was wrong about this though....

The junior lineman was exceptional as a pass blocking left tackle during his sophomore campaign. Smith returned this season with added power, moved to the right side and has become a dominant run blocker

... He was a right tackle last year too. Charles Brown was the left tackle. He was Brown's back-up at Left Tackle his freshman year.

I've also heard that we are very big on him. He is a little light but he is extremely quick, athletic, and has some of the longest arms I've seen for a player his size.
  4. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,587 Messages
    1,540 Likes Received
    I've watched Wisconsin a few times this season and I have to say, there Offensive Line is as good a unit as I've seen in the College ranks in some time. Moffit is a nice prospect. On a side note, we drafted Steve Wisniewski when he came out in 89. We ended up trading him to Oakland in exchange for, what would become, Step but he had a good NFL career. 13 years with Oakland I believe. His nephew, Stefen, is also somebody that Dallas has scouted multiple times. Stefen is a three time Academic All American. That's not a bad thing.
  5. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,022 Messages
    374 Likes Received
    Interior O-line is very weak this year.
  6. Chris in Arizona

3,632 Messages
    495 Likes Received
    I agree. I watch the Wisconsin games and just focus on the o line. They are men out there. Everyone talks about Moffitt and Carimi but the kid I really like is Josh Oglesby who hurt his knee. He's 6'7" and 335 pounds.

If we can get Wisniewski early 2nd or possibly trade back into the lower 1st and get him I would be ecstatic.
  7. garrett316

garrett316 5 against 1 Zone Supporter

2,509 Messages
    247 Likes Received
    I like Wisniewski, Academic All American 3 times, team captain. Pittsburgh kid so he's tough and loves football. My guess is he plays Center in the pros although he's played guard and center for the Nittany Lions.
    Watched him drive block a guy 10 yards and pancake him into the end zone on Saturday against MSU. Would love to see him replace Gurode at some point and he could probably play guard for a year or two if we kept Andre around.
  8. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I don't know if I could contain myself with Dallas drafting a PSU player I like in back to back years.
  9. JPM

JPM Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    I'd love to get Wisniewski in the 2nd or late first. He's solidfy the C for the next 10 years.

I may wet myself. How about that ???
  10. Chris in Arizona

3,632 Messages
    495 Likes Received
    The Horror!
  11. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If folks had issue with Charles Brown being light in the pants last draft, they're not gonna like Tyron Smith as he goes around 280ish. I've seen photos of him training and he looks like TE; well-built and lean.
  12. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,550 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I am liken Tyrone Smith alot from the reports I have read about him. He is a little light but once he is in the NFL weight room program I think he can add on more muscle. I would not mind picking him in the 1st round and have him and Young compete in camp for tackle position. Loser will be the swing tackle on game day. OL in this year's draft is weak. I would love for the Cowboys to get Smith in the 1st and then the Ohio St. Center in the 2nd but it will never happen. Cowboys could always go DL or CB later where according to what I have read, is strong this year. Only problem that I see in trying to get Smith is he might not be there when we draft if a lot of other teams have him ranked high also.
  13. Chris in Arizona

3,632 Messages
    495 Likes Received
    With pass-rushers becoming more and more dangerous maybe an equally athletic tackle is the answer.

I was not big on him early on because he is so light but he has proven to be an aggressive run blocker and I'm telling you, he uses those long arms effectively.

It wouldn't be the most exciting draft in the world but if we took Smith 1 and Wisniewski 2 it would go a long way for improving our o line issues. Add in a Free Agent and we would be set for the next 4 or 5 years.
  14. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I still think this OL rebuild is a two year project. It's a risky move trying to replace 4 of 5 offensive lineman.

IMO if I was to do it I would sign Logan, slide Kosier to RG. Draft a center like Wis this year.

You go into this season with Free at LT, Logan at LG, Gurode at Center (unless he loses the job to Wis), Kosier at RG and let Young, Columbo and who ever else battle for the RT position.

The following year you know weather or not you have your RT, if not you address it if you do you begin to replace Kosier.

I just cant see doing all that in one year but with the right moves in FA it's possible. Just not all in the draft.
  15. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,981 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    Yeah, he was like the 63rd or 64th pick, so I can't see Smith being like a top 10 pick
  16. garrett316

garrett316 5 against 1 Zone Supporter

2,509 Messages
    247 Likes Received
    no doubt. I think they draft a guard or center maybe explore FA for another guard, and ride with a combination of Free, a draft pick, Gurode, maybe Holland or a FA, and Colombo/Young.

Rome wasn't built in a day and hopefully Romo won't be broken in one week next year. I don't think they can rebuild 80% of the o-line in one offseason. Especially when the defense is leaking oil.
  17. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Tyron Smith #1?......

No scouting service I've been to has even listed him in the top 10...interesting

He in no way shape or form looks like a Tackle, I'll tell you that much. That guy no fat whatsoever.
  18. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I really like this kid at RT

Richard Lapham, OT, Boston College
    Height: 6-8. Weight: 322.
    Projected 40 Time: 5.34.
    Projected Round (2011): 6-FA.
  19. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,289 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    I think it's a pretty good year for FA interior linemen.

I wouldn't mind looking at a guy like Marshal Yanda. His best position would probably be guard, but he is starting at RT for the Ravens right now. He'd give you options in the draft whether you went inside or outside.

Leroy Harris, Chris Chester and Davin Joseph would all be good guard options as well.

I'd love to have Carimi at the top of 2. I think you plug him in at RT for the foreseeable future. I like more options than letting Sam Young and Colombo compete for that position.

I actually think center is the one position this team may have to wait until next year to address.
  20. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,251 Messages
    1,171 Likes Received
    Top 10 pick will be DL or secondary, not O Line, nobody is worthy.