1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: SN: Dallas Cowboys team report: Dez Bryant to be full-time punt returner

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Juke99, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Dallas Cowboys team report: Dez Bryant to be full-time punt returner

Clarence Hill

ARLINGTON, Texas—Look for receiver Dez Bryant to return the role of full-time punt returner against the Cardinals on Sunday. That was the off shoot of the team's decision to release receiver Akwasi Owusu-Ansah and sign fullback Shaun Chapas from the practice squad.

Owusu-Ansah has served as the team's primary punt returner the past few weeks because the Cowboys didn't want to risk Bryant to injury. Bryant is the team's most dynamic returner, but was injured on a punt return in the season opener and has been used sporadically at best since because owner Jerry Jones mandated that the Cowboys try someone else at the position.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...t-to-be-full-time-punt-returner#ixzz1fI5iJ5tv
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    Bout time the shot-callers grew a little sack regarding this issue.

Every time someone else takes a punt, Dallas hurts it's chances of winning.

100% serious. Every punt he is about as dangerous as any player in the league in regards to taking it to the house.
  3. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,998 Messages
    1,283 Likes Received
    I agree, and like further, the use of Felix Jones on kickoffs. Challenge someone else on returns...with Austin coming back, and Murray going strong, there is a little slack at the skill positions.
  4. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,789 Messages
    817 Likes Received
    I find it interesting that this comes with the return of Miles Austin.
    No doubt Dez is a playmaker as a punt returner. But with Austin back and Laurent Robinson playing well, I think the Cowboys believe they can "risk" Dez returning punts.
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,318 Messages
    3,044 Likes Received
    I have not seen where Austin was a 100% go this weekend?

I think Austin coming back or at least close to it makes this easier but I think the bigger issue is we are getting into crunch time where wins and loses are getting more critical to teams fighting for the playoffs.
  6. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,789 Messages
    817 Likes Received
    I was watching NFL Network which reported that Austin would be back.

But I agree with you that it's getting closer to crunch time as far as fighting a playoff spot. I did overlook that aspect in my analysis. Thanks for the addition.
  7. Doomsday101

77,318 Messages
    3,044 Likes Received
    Good to know that Austin will be back. Looking forward to getting this WR core playing together. I guess in some minor way Austin injury could be looked at as a blessing in that is allowed Robinson the chance to develop with Romo. Once we get Austin back playing with Dez and Robinson this WR core could be as good as what they have in NO and GB.
  8. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,998 Messages
    1,283 Likes Received
    That is, if he doesn't need a re-entry period to overcome dropped passes and lack of focus as he experienced prior to his last injury. I don't question his ability, only how fast he returns to it.
  9. Doomsday101

77,318 Messages
    3,044 Likes Received
    I expect we will see the WR rotating in and out. I don't expect to see Austin play every snap. If Austin is in the lineup starting this weekend then I expect him to go out and make plays when the opportunities come his way same way I expect Dez and Robinson to make the plays that come their way
  10. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,464 Messages
    1,032 Likes Received
    I'm in support of the move. It's the right move. I'm going to be worried every time he goes back, of course, but it simply is worth the worry. We need his playmaking ability back there.
  11. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

3,969 Messages
    457 Likes Received
    Agreed, it is about time. You keep hearing all this noise about having to win at least two of the three phases (offense, defense, special teams) in order to win the game. I'm sorry, if you've got a guy like Dez and you're not using him as your punt returner, you are seriously neglecting one of those phases.
  12. cowboys2233

3,969 Messages
    457 Likes Received

I think the Cowboys' top three is better than the Saints. Miles Austin and Colston are probably a push, but Dez/Robinson is better than Moore/Henderson (or Meachem).

But I think Green Bay edges us slightly. I would put Jennings slightly above Austin and the combination of Nelson/Driver about the same as Dez/Robinson. But if you extend out to the fourth guy, James Jones is better than Kevin Ogletree.
  13. JoeCorrado

JoeCorrado Active Member

1,972 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Hopefully Dez has grown a brain regarding when too much effort is a dangerous thing. There is a fine line and he has been prone to step over it- nothing good coming from that.

Having said that, I agree. He is the best we have and he should be involved in the return game as much as possible. He is a game changer for sure.

Just pray his over the line effort does not result in fumbles or injury. That would be... counter-productive. I guess with Robinson flourishing, the "risk" of injury (the reason he was not out there returning kicks) has lessened somewhat, eh?
  14. cowboys2233

3,969 Messages
    457 Likes Received
    Yup, I definitely think that's the reason for the teams' willingness now. But let's face it, this puts the ball in Dez's hands about five more times per game and often with room to run. This is a very good thing and should have been done a long time ago.
  15. D-warewolf94

D-warewolf94 New Member

95 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It also gets the ball in his hands early and throughout the game, which he needs to get going.
  16. Doomsday101

77,318 Messages
    3,044 Likes Received
    But we are at least comparable to these WR core. You and I both may give the edge to GB but I don't think it is that much of an edge. Bottom line we have 3 guys who can take it to the house when they get the ball in their hands.