1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

SN:NFL prospect profile: North Carolina DE Robert Quinn

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Feb 14, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,119 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-02-12/nfl-prospect-profile-robert-quinn
    Russ Lande SN Sporting News SN's War Room Scouts evaluate draft prospect
    NFL Position: DE or OLB Despite being suspended for the entire 2010 season, Robert Quinn is one of the top talents in this year's draft, writes Russ Lande.
    Height: 6-5
    Weight: 270
    [IMG]
    Current Projection: First-round pick
    Strengths: Shines as a pass rusher. Is explosive off the ball and, combined with his quick acceleration and speed, is able to beat offensive tackles around the corner. Once he turns the corner, has an explosive closing burst to the quarterback. Can consistently beat offensive tackles one-on-one because he can go inside or outside. Has excellent quickness and agility, enabling him to change directions in a flash. As a run defender, flashes an excellent burst off the ball to split the tackle/guard gap and can make tackles in the backfield. Also has the speed to come down the line of scrimmage and make tackles.

Weaknesses: Sometimes takes a step upfield before coming down the line against the run, allowing the back to get through. Not nearly as effective on runs at him when he has to take on an offensive tackle at the line. Lacks bulk and can be tied up and ridden out of plays. His snap anticipation is not always elite—occasionally is a beat late off the ball. Is pretty much an unknown in coverage because he has little experience playing off the ball. Sometimes comes in too high as a pass rusher, causing him to overrun sack opportunities.
  2. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,881 Messages
    564 Likes Received
    Greg Ellis 2.0! :laugh2:
  3. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

2,323 Messages
    510 Likes Received
    so you mean a guy who can get double digit sacks opposite demarcus ware, be super strong at the point of attack and has only coverage as a downside, yet will run maybe 0.1-0.3 seconds faster in the 40 than greg did???
  4. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    huh? really? l sorry man but this comes off as over-analyzing and nit picking just to fill up his weakness paragraph.
  5. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,204 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Poor Greg Ellis. The guy was a good pass rusher in college, but just did not have the elite talent in hindsight to be taken where he was. The guy will always be linked to "why did we take him instead of Moss".

He was good, but just no where near the talent that Moss became.

Quinn looks built to rush the passer, but is he big enough to be used as a 5 technique DE in our defense.
  6. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

12,702 Messages
    4,891 Likes Received
    No, I don't think so. At least not on a full-time basis.

I think he is a prototypical strongside DE in a 4-3 alignment.
  7. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

33,013 Messages
    2,529 Likes Received
    I dunno. I think Ellis was alright.

He got saddled with a lot of losing seasons before he was ever put onto a winning team. Well, more of a winning team.
  8. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'll talk Robert Quinn....
  9. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think people would have a lot fonder memories of Ellis if he wasn't the world's biggest worrywart and curmudgeon.
  10. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

3,118 Messages
    406 Likes Received
    He can play OLB and take Spencer's position.