1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

so, as much as I dislike Palin

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by VietCowboy, Sep 5, 2008.

1. VietCowboy

VietCowboy Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.

2,915 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    so, as much as I dislike her,

on my sorority listserve, one sister sent out a story about her banning books and lists all the books she banned. The one that was taken from the website that lists all books banned at one point or another in the US.

Well, being the nice person that I am, decided to send out an email what did happen, she tried to ask about banning books and later tried to fire the librarian, and what didn't, that she banned any specific books let alone that laundry list of books.

So, I get an email back from another sister pissed at me for my implication that I was overly harsh in my email in correcting the first sister (all I did was say to inform yourself, and then cited 2 articles that showed Palin didn't ban any specific book) and that just because absence of evidence doesn't mean evidence of absence. And that she had read many of those books that I cited that were once banned in the US (I guess she thought I meant all those books are banned everywhere until this day).

Of course I was pissed off. But I said, just like sisters who try to send on chain emails that can easily be disproved by checking it on snope, I felt i was my duty to ensure that no one gets unduly biased by a false story. As much as I dislike Palin, I would rather people vote based on facts.

I know the past few days, I too have been quick to post things that I didn't get the full story on. Right now, I am just going to wait out all these stories, and their development. At the end of the day, it does not matter what she did or did not do, her many of her platform items are just not my cup of tea.

So, what? I just wanted to thank CZ for reminding me to make sure to check my story, and just to tell CZ that I just prevented many women from thinking Palin is someone who banned books (although I did tell them she asked about banning books).
  2. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,271 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    You know that is all anyone can ask. We all like or dislike who we like for various reasons and that is ok. Even Palin said that we will not agree on everything and that it is ok not to. Voting based on facts is the right thing to do.