1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

So Confused - Why Bernie over Livings?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by rpatricc, Jul 25, 2013.

1. rpatricc

rpatricc Active Member

707 Messages
    136 Likes Received
    From watching tape of last year, Bernadeau was a train wreck. And Livings seemed to acquit himself just fine (pro football focus graded him top 11 I think at G). So why does everyone associated with the team say that Livings is as much on the roster bubble, if not more, than Bernie? Is it simply because Bernie can play C?

Would love to see Smith-Livings-Frederick-Leary-Free OR Smith-Killer-Frederick-Leary-Free, with Livings the swing G and Costa the backup C.
  2. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,699 Messages
    1,849 Likes Received
    Livings and Leary play the same position, I believe.
  3. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    They had Leary at LG when Livings got injured, but im fairly sure he can play both positions. Same with Killer (why are we all calling him this now?).. i'd rather have Livings stay in the lineup and have KK/Leary start at RG myself if at all possible.
    ScipioCowboy likes this.
  4. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,136 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    Why either?
  5. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Cuz one played well last year and the other was kinda terrible?
  6. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,768 Messages
    540 Likes Received
    Livings is older and wore down as the season progressed. Bernadeau actually improved the second half of the season and was playing at a higher level.

Injury might be the reason Livings' play slipped, but Dallas is probably wary that he's at the age where injuries happen more and skills erode.
  7. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,699 Messages
    1,849 Likes Received
    I agree. I'd rather have Livings as well. I was just giving the answer I got when I asked this same question a few weeks back.
  8. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,198 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    Broaddus has said that the Cowboys graded Bernadeau out higher.
  9. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,365 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    Because Bernadeau looked more athletic on film than Livings but that was before we signed them, Bern had a tough year, Living had another average year, looks like it will come down to who stays healthy.
  10. rpatricc

rpatricc Active Member

707 Messages
    136 Likes Received
    Right. This is the part I completely do not understand. I have a pretty good eye for offensive line play, watched a bunch of Berny and Livings, and in my mind Berny was putrid and Livings was solid. And Pro Football Focus, which watches every snap, agrees. That's why I just dont understand the Cowboys' perspective.
  11. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,261 Messages
    290 Likes Received
    I had thought that Broaddus himself had Berny graded higher...never heard the part about him claiming the team had Bernadeau higher.
  12. speedkilz88

20,198 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    I thought so too, but we don't know what their assignments are from play to play. Sometimes we might see a guy get beat and in reality the guy next to him was suppose to pick him up. I know that many think Cook did well but he really struggled in the run game and his problems with the snap timing with Romo's cadence caused a lot of problems with the other guys getting off the snap on time.
  13. speedkilz88

20,198 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    No, he said the team did.
  14. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,439 Messages
    1,440 Likes Received
    PFF rankings are something of a joke IMO. Livings and Mack were both garbage if you ask me. Cook filled in aswell as can be expected. But the two guards were a lost cause.
  15. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

35,895 Messages
    3,045 Likes Received
    If you watched film the better question IMO is why does Bernie play like an All-Pro one play then look like crap the next.
  16. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

1,276 Messages
    500 Likes Received
    Livings won't make the team.
  17. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,679 Messages
    4,549 Likes Received
    You have to be very careful drawing conclusions about OG play basing anything on what's popularly said about last year's OGs in these parts.

As far as I can tell, Livings issues are with his injury, and with the fact that he's a marginal starter with a player the team likes on a rookie contract behind him.

Mack started hurt and played poorly early, but he stabilized later in the year. I've heard it said that BB said the team graded him higher overall than Livings last season, but I'd like to see that quote. I find it hard to believe without some context.
  18. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,434 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Both players belong on the scrap heap.

When the day comes that Livings AND Bernadeau are no longer on the team...drinks are on me!
  19. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,219 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    They might value Bern more than Livings given that he can play center in a pinch. Livings is strictly a guard, Of course with Costa and Killer, do you really need another guy that can pitch in at center?
  20. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,808 Messages
    3,534 Likes Received
    It depends on which games you watched. Both had some decent games and both had some terrible games.

I can't remember which games where which at this point, but try watching the 1st game where Bernadeau played Center. He was reasonably good in that game.

Bernadeau had injuries all year. I think it was his hip and knee early in the year and then his shoulder later.

Livings was injured somewhere around mid-season. His play was not very good in the 2nd half of the season.