1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

So I soaked my contacts in Visine overnight

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Jon88, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,666 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    because I was out of regular solution. Big mistake. I put them in yesterday morning and my eyes become inflamed. This is my last pair of contacts and my glasses are broken (the left bar extending from the lens is missing. They're wearable, but look goofy). I take a gamble that my tears will clear everything out and go to work. Wrong. I end up having to leave work in less than an hour and have to pull over 3 times because of the pain and blurriness. The pain was so bad yesterday I wanted to vomit several times. I have never experienced pain like that. Long story short I wake up this morning and they haven't healed. I go to the doctor and he gives me eye drops, a cortisone shot, and some Darvoset. They're still hurting and blurry now and I can barely see to type. Moral of the story: Don't do what I did.
  2. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,911 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    Ouch man. I've put lenses in water overnight before and that works alright. Not sure why Visine was so bad.
  3. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Wearing contacts seems like a pain in the *** without doing that. I couldn't imagine sticking a finger in my eye. I hear enough people with similar complaints about solutions and gummed up eyes.

My brother in law would sleep with his in for weeks and they ended up damn near fusing to his corneas.

If my sight starts failing, I'll just wear glasses.
    Feel better man.
  4. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,405 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    Not sure how long you've worn contacts, but the EMPHATIC warning never to use any "regular" eye drops, or any product NOT specifically labeled as safe for contacts, was beaten into my medulla by my Optometrist from the get go.

Hope you get better.
  5. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,405 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    That's what I do too. If I'm out, w/o solution, a coffee cup and h2o works like a champ.

I wear gas perm lenses though, so those are a lot more forgiving than the softies I understand.
  6. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  7. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,001 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Soon as I saw the title I knew that was a mistake. There is a reason Visine doesn't sell that solution haha
  8. FloridaRob

FloridaRob Active Member

1,430 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    should have used toothpaste to clean them. just be sure you rinse them extremenly well.
  9. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    LOL. Admittedly, I've done it before, but I experienced worse results. When I did it, my contacts were not even wearable. They grew 3 times larger than they were originally.

My question is, why does this poster need to get the red out unless he's a head?:eek::
  10. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I used to have gas perms from like 9th grade to like 31. At one point I slept in them constantly and screwed up my eyes a bit. They were killing me. Opening my eyes was a pain. Think they just got infected. I think my eyes are still a bit oversensitive to light now because of that and that was YEARS ago :( I've since switched to extended wear. Way more comfortable than gas perms but more expensive. About $50 every 3 months for a new supply.
  11. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,667 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    Yeah water works good when your out of solution.
    I use 2 week contacts and use them for about 1-1.5 months, sleep in them every night almost.
  12. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I love not wearing glasses any more contacts also made sports easier

I did not wear glasses until I was 21 so my vision is not as bad as some in fact I can almost legal drive with out them still not quite but close

I always worn soft since I went to contact I sleep in mine no issues and replace them about every 2 weeks

I changed about a year and a halg ago I switched to the Night & Days because they have a higher % of silicone which allows more oxygen to your eyes

Then Acuvue about two years ago released Oasys which have more silicone than the night and days and allow your eye to breathe better.

My Doctor I used for years specialized in contacts any ways I swear by either bran Night and Days or the Oasys why i say either some people are more comfortable in one over the other.

So my contact life is easier than you think and as much of a pain as contacts can be still better than glasses. The whole I can not stick things in my eye gets easy after you do it a few times. Trust me I was the same way when I first got glasses and wore them for 6 years then i broke down to soft contacts and I broke that barrier in one day and it got easier from there.
  13. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,001 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    burn in hell you twins piece of ****!
  14. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I usually keep my contacts in outlook
  15. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  16. poke

poke the older I get the better I was

2,574 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    best money i ever spent was the eye surgery to not wear glasses
    and this was prior to laser surgery...radial keratotomy . 20 years ago
  17. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    I'd say you are well on your way to recovery if you can read these lines.

[IMG]
  18. adamc91115

adamc91115 New Member

738 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    To all those sleeping in your soft contacts, let me tell you from experience - Don't do it!

I ended up having to wear glasses for 2 months because my eyes got so swollen and I didn't even know it.

Then a few months down the road I started having trouble even only wearing the contacts for 4-8 hours a day... The swelling apparently never went away completely and changed the size of my eyes. I was wearing contacts that were way too small and ended up depriving my eyes of oxygen. Another 2 months of wearing glasses and 1 small white spot on my cornea, I'm finally wearing the right size contacts again. Luckily, the white spot is on the edge of the cornea and not in my line of vision.

Trust me, its not worth the trouble down the road. Just take your contacts out every night. You can sleep in them every now and then, but if you wear them constantly you're asking for trouble. I was very lucky not to have permanent vision trouble because of it.
  19. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,666 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm thinking about that but it's $4,000.
  20. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,666 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Pretty funny