1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

So OL or DL in the 1st round?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CATCH17, Dec 10, 2012.

1. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received

Well we have finesse linemen but we still prettyh much use power running schemes. With Murray you see a little more zone. So honestly I have no idea.

I just think Cooper has the upside so I would go with him.

I don't feel good about Warmack recovering quick enough when teams stunt and twist on him. Blocking at the 2nd level I don't feel good about either.
  2. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,334 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    I think you go OLine in the 1st round because Jerry's history of drafting offensive linemen after the first half of the 2nd round is so poor.
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,643 Messages
    1,479 Likes Received
    Not buying this. Warmack is LG and he is athletic. Seen him at the second level plenty. They ran all over Georgia averaging 8 yards a crack, he was a big part of it. The fact that he is an inch shorter than ideal wont bother most of the NFL. All that said I doubt they draft Warmack if he is there because I think priorities fall as follows 1) Pass rush D Line or OLB 2) A versatile cant miss OL like Dallas Thomas who you could plug in 3 positions and be better than you were, and could be had in the 20's.
  4. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Why OLB over OL?
  5. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,088 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    I wouldn't call this safety class weak at all. It lacks the elite top talent like a Berry or Earl Thomas, but there definitely is a lot of talent there. Vaccaro, Elam, Rambo, Reid, McDonald, Jefferson and Lester have all been playmakers at big schools. Not saying all are going to be studs but I wouldn't mind grabbing anyone of them between rounds 2-4. We saw what we have backing up at the safety spot. It's not pretty.

And I would take Warmack over Cooper in a heartbeat. Not that I don't like Cooper, but warmack is just a monster. Freakishly strong combined with great technique. You will rarely see this guy get pushed back by a defensive lineman. It would be nice having an actual pocket for Tony to be able to step up into. Not to mention Warmack is head and shoulders above any other olineman in this class as a run blocker.
  6. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    You forgot Shawn Williams, who I like a lot as well. I'm glad you clarified rounds 2-4, I just don't like when Vaccaro is linked to us in the first.
  7. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,643 Messages
    1,479 Likes Received
    Spencer status is iffy, Ware on the wrong side of 30 and may already be slowing down. Hatcher is on the wrong side of 30 as well. I see a guy like Ansah who they may see as a JPP or Watt type and not be able to resist, quick twitch and long limbed. Pass rushers are like pitching in baseball and shooter in basketball, can never have enough.
  8. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,630 Messages
    5,789 Likes Received

I would be happy with either Cooper or Warmack.

I don't think it's unreasonable to say that Cooper could be a better NFL player. Warmack is definitely stronger, but Cooper has elite quickness.
  9. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Absolutely Agree.
  10. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,163 Messages
    332 Likes Received
    And if the top talent on the board is a WR or a MLB you take one?
  11. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,133 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    Id draft O tackle and move Free to guard.Id go DL in second then Center in FA.Only playmaker i want is Tavon from WVU. He may go quick though.
  12. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    Doug Free isn't strong enough to handle Defensive ends. How will he take on D Tackles? He can't.

I'd rather try Costa at guard before I go Doug Free.
  13. chuch

chuch Member

49 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    This. A couple others worth watching from smaller programs would be Duke Williams (Nevada) and Phillip Thomas (Fresno State). Both have bowl games coming up.
  14. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,630 Messages
    5,789 Likes Received

I agree.

Also, with Free's 7 million base salary for 2013, can't you just sign a real OG?
  15. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,035 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    I prefer Warmack to Cooper, but either would be just fine to me.

As far as safety, I like Elam the best.

Lots of good DL available this draft, as well.
  16. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,799 Likes Received
    There's a bunch of good safeties coming out.

Reid, Rambo, Lester, Jefferson, McDonald could all be first day guys. And there are a bunch of other pretty good mid-round type guys.
  17. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Yep. Foot in mouth.
  18. dez_for_prez

dez_for_prez Active Member

1,045 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Even, wait for it... Cornerback?
  19. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,799 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

Sorry, i responded before I read the rest of the thread.