1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

So This Is Why You Don't Want to Be Bitten By a Snake

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Hostile, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,357 Messages
    1,342 Likes Received
  2. FloridaRob

FloridaRob Active Member

1,428 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    Wow! I hate snakes. Hate them. I don't care that some do good when they eat rats and mice and whatever, the only good snake is a dead snake.

That video gave me the heebee geebees if there are a such thing.
  3. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Unless you're Chuck Norris. I'm assuming the same fate applies to all snakes.

[IMG]
  4. Kingsmith88

Kingsmith88 Benched

377 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We have 12 or fewer deaths in America a year because of snake bites. They are a critical part of our Eco system. Leave them alone and they will leave you alone.

Bites can be devastating though especially from rattlesnakes.
  5. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,697 Messages
    119 Likes Received
    As much as I hate snakes, I leave them alone... the last one I killed was a timber rattler in my house several years back...

You are over 5 times more likely to die from a wasp sting or lightening strike than a snake bite...

Coral snakes are the most dangerous in North America, btw...
  6. Kingsmith88

Kingsmith88 Benched

377 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I know but they are also less aggressive, than rattlesnakes. I've also never seen the effects of a coral snake bite I have of rattlesnake bites. Chances are you'll live but you could lose some fingers. :)
  7. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,143 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    We have Black Rat snakes here. One was going across our driveway as I was coming home one day and it scared the crap out of me. I'd never seen any snakes around here prior to that.

Yuck!
  8. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,213 Messages
    672 Likes Received
    Coral snakes have much smaller mouths, so it limits their ability to bite people. It isn't as if they can get a good strike on a leg or arm. They need to be able to get to someones fingers or toes.

Cottonmouths are more aggressive than rattlesnakes. Those suckers can be very mean.

I know snakes are important to an ecosystem, but why do some have to be so venomous. There are plenty of non-venomous snakes that help the ecosystem.
  9. Kingsmith88

Kingsmith88 Benched

377 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Lol
    We have black snakes around here that can be huge. They are aggressive if messed with too.
  10. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,697 Messages
    119 Likes Received
    Rattlesnakes rattle to alert you... scary nonethless...

Water Moccasins or Cottonmouths as we call them are UBER aggressive... I've knocked them in the head with paddles while fishing for trying to get in my boat... they also will drop out of trees into your boat...
  11. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    That's nuthin' here in the Garden State we have the dreaded Eastern Garter Snake!

Does absolutely nothing and they say they grow to be 4 feet but I've never seen one more than 8 inches.

[IMG]
  12. joseephuss

20,213 Messages
    672 Likes Received
    There are copperheads and rattlesnakes in New Jersey.
  13. Kingsmith88

Kingsmith88 Benched

377 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They don't always rattle.

Quit fishing under trees. :)
  14. Kingsmith88

Kingsmith88 Benched

377 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I've heard Cottonmouths were super aggressive. Never seen one. Coral snakes have small fangs too And have to chew to get the venmon, as well as, not being that aggressive.

Because they aren't constrictors? Not sure just a guess, but they wouldn't be able to eat or protect themselves otherwise.
  15. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I've been here 43 years and have been from tip to tip, camping hiking, photo shoots. The only time I've seen anything venomous has been behind a glass case in a zoo. I don't know if I should be glad or feel gypped. :)
  16. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,300 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    I hate snakes, can't stand them. They give me the creeps. Until a few years ago, I couldn't even watch a snake on TV. I had to literally turn my head away or close my eyes. Stupid snakes!!!!!
  17. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I wouldn't be in that boat anymore. :eekmouse:
  18. joseephuss

20,213 Messages
    672 Likes Received
    Coral snakes are from the cobra family from what I understand. Copperheads, rattlesnakes and cottonmouths are all pit vipers.
  19. joseephuss

20,213 Messages
    672 Likes Received
    Just because you didn't see them doesn't mean they didn't see you. :)
  20. joseephuss

20,213 Messages
    672 Likes Received
    I have heard a few experts make the recommendation that if a water moccasin gets in your boat the best thing for you to do is get out of the boat immediately.