1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Featured Some thoughts on the game

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jobberone, Sep 16, 2013.

1. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

37,515 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    Dallas Cowboys-Passing

Deep Left (2/2, 58 yards)
    TargetsCatchesYdsTD
    Dez Bryant 1_1_38_0
    Terrance Williams 1_1_20_0

Deep Middle (0/0, 0 yards)

Deep Right (1/2, 53 yards)

TargetsCatchesYdsTD
    Dez Bryant 2_1_53_0

Short Left (12/20, 87 yards)
    TargetsCatchesYdsTD
    Miles Austin 3_2_22_0
    Dez Bryant 4_2_18_0
    Lance Dunbar 1_1_4_0
    Gavin Escobar 1_1_9_0
    James Hanna 2_2_14_0
    DeMarco Murray 3_3_22_0
    Jason Witten 6_1_2_0

Short Middle (2/4, 12 yards, 1 TD)

TargetsCatchesYdsTD
    Dez Bryant 2_1_2_1
    DeMarco Murray 1_0_0_0
    Jason Witten 1_1_10_0

Short Right (13/14, 88 yards)

TargetsCatchesYdsTD
    Miles Austin 1_1_9_0
    Dez Bryant 4_4_30_0
    James Hanna 3_2_6_0
    Dwayne Harris 1_1_4_0
    DeMarco Murray 2_2_27_0
    Terrance Williams 2_2_8_0
    Jason Witten 1_1_4_0

There were 4 deep passes one called back for PI with one dropped to be correct. But I agree we didn't go deep enough. Perhaps Romo couldn't throw the ball deep later in the game. He had no problems early on. Again it was clear he was intimidated by the blitz even the appearance of it. Not a great game by Romo although not nearly as bad as some claim. Someone even said Romo threw back to back INTs which is not true.

Perhaps the offense will be more aggressive next week if Romo can throw the ball. If not then they are being illogical to not put Orton in if so.
  2. iceman117

iceman117 Active Member

722 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    That was my point, 4 deep passes is a decent number but everyone of them can't be to Dez. I was just saying I'd like to see Miles utilized a little better with some double moves, or seems from the slot, maybe even a 17-25 yard skinmy post... Everything to him can't be a short slant. After looking at your break down too I see I'd like to attack the middle of the field more. Put some pressure on opposing teams LBs and Safeties and that will probably help the running attack as well. I'd also like to see Witten do something more than run a 8 yard hitch or a 4 yard out. But you could be right, Romo may have aggravated his ribs at some point in the second half hampering his down the field passing. It all seems so basic right now like really simple routes. Hopefully they open it up
    jobberone likes this.
  3. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

3,006 Messages
    1,052 Likes Received
    Even if you are only gaining 2-3 ypc, you still must run the ball. If you don't, you'll see defenses do what KC did to us. They realized we weren't committed to the run so in the 2nd half they rushed 5 or more on every down and dropped 6 in coverage unless it was an all out blitz. You have to stay committed to the run regardless of how effective it is. If you do, you impose a physical presence on the defense and will eventually wear them down. The defense must respect the run when you stay committed.
  4. jobberone

37,515 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    I agree. They need to get everyone involved. Part of that problem is Hanna, Escobar and Williams are new to this.
  5. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,254 Messages
    692 Likes Received
    I am certainly not blaming this loss on Romo solely, but he did throw two balls right to KC defenders. One went to Eric Berry, which was called back for a very suspicious pass interference penalty. The other was to whomever was defending Witten later in that drive, he simply dropped it.

So, while they won't be booked as interceptions, he threw two balls directly to KC defenders. We just got a couple breaks.
  6. jobberone

37,515 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    If you can't run the ball for whatever reason then you must pass. Teams might come out to stop the run using 8 and 9 man fronts including run blitzes. If so then you pass the ball although you still need to run occasionally to keep them honest. If they play small packages dropping people into coverage then you run the ball. If you find a hole in their game you exploit it. KC ran over our DE on the last drive particularly.

You must run the ball effectively.
  7. jobberone

37,515 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    Thanks. I didn't remember the dropped pass just the PI.
  8. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

3,006 Messages
    1,052 Likes Received
    Yes, that's where the balance part comes into play. Keeping the defense honest. We don't keep the defenses honest.
  9. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,254 Messages
    692 Likes Received
    We have to run the ball while keeping the defense guessing. More variety in our rushing attack would go a long way. It seems like all we have is one dive play, one stretch play, and one horribly ineffective sweep play. The running game needs far more variety as to how the offensive line blocks, as well as what parts of the field we run to. I don't want to hear anything about the lines inability to block either. Until this team shows it's willing to commit, its impossible to evaluate the big uglies.

I have thought for years, and still do, that our rushing attack is very predictable, largely based on how we use motion. I have already seen the same running play where Hannah comes in motion to the weak side 10+ times. I know exactly what is coming when we run it, and apparently so do the defenders.

I will never forget the Ravens coming out and saying how predictable our offense was a couple seasons ago. Nothing has changed.
  10. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,334 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    In a close game, we only ran the ball 3 times the entire second half of the game and ZERO times in the 4th quarter. How is that even possible?

Given the amount of time we spend in shotgun, they have to run a few more draws a game. KC saw we gave up on the run and began to T off on Romo. His protection was much better in the first half when we had better balance.