1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Someone explain to me...

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Jun 10, 2008.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,238 Messages
    4,563 Likes Received
    Why is it that the dems want to raise taxes on oil but want the taxes on alternative means reduced such as solar, wind and other areas?

While at the same time the repubs want to keep or even lower taxes on the oil industry yet do NOT want to lower it for the alternative means?

This is one of those issues I was talking about wanting iron clad guarantees if we were to drill in anwar.

Things that neither side could get out of, like actually doing things to encourage alternatives. Why should they not get the same discounts as the oil industry if the government is really serious in saying they want to find other means?

It is kind of hard for solar, wind and other alternatives to compete if they are not even on a level playing field concerning taxes and funding.

Just curious if anyone knows why it is the oil industry gets the breaks and the others don't if they say they are serious about working on alternatives.
  2. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    The taxes on the alternative energy would be to help fund the further development of it since it's still in it infancy (comparatively speaking).

Raising taxes on oil which the vast majority of this country uses is simply taxing the average American even more.

One other thing. The oil companies are not getting a break. They pay more in taxes than any other industry.

And once again it needs to be said. The oil company only makes about 8 cents per gallon profit on a gallon of gas. I don't know about you but I know I wouldn't be happy with that profit margin especially when the whole world is wanting to go away from my product.
  3. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received

Yep. Which is a stupid idea.

Hey - did you get my PM by chance?
  4. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Which is stupid? The raising taxes on gas or not reducing it on alternative energy?

And no, I didn't get your PM. Regarding what? Send me another one.
  5. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    Well, considering my leanings, I'd say its probably stupid to raise taxes on gas.

:)

And the P.M. was about the Anti-christ stuff re:Obama thread you were talking about.... I wanted you to explain it (since I don't have the understanding on the topic that you do)
  6. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I'm sending you a PM now. Check it in a few minutes.
  7. BrAinPaiNt

61,238 Messages
    4,563 Likes Received
    Ok you say raising taxes on the alternatives is better for it? I would think, like most businesses, if you want to help it, you would lower the taxes to help stimulate it's growth. Or am I simply misunderstanding what you mean?
  8. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I was drawing a comparison between the two since that was what you asked. Why the different takes.

As for alternative energy sources, the majority of it's users are in the wealthier end of the spectrum. So, if you were to continue the rate of taxation on that, they would be better able to deal with it. Because in the end, no matter what you do, if you tax that product, the end user pays that price.

By reducing the taxes on gasoline, in combination with removing some of the foolish restrictions placed on them by the environmentally friendly lawmakers, you will see some kind of relief at the pump, which would alleviate a lot of pressure on the average American's bank book.

In addition, those higher tax rates on the alternative energy sources can be used, as I said, to further investigate them and their viability for mass production and distribution.
  9. BrAinPaiNt

61,238 Messages
    4,563 Likes Received
    I appreciate you taking this serious as I was not doing it as my normal sarcastic self.:D

But would it not be better to get lower taxes for the alternative in order to get more people interested in the business for growth and in time making it more viable in the long run for mass consumers?

I guess the point I am wondering is. How can the US be serious about alternatives if they seem to be hamstringing them by not giving them a level playing field with oil.

This is the question that bothers me about anwar because it would seem if we keep going with oil it will just stifle the attempt at other alternatives. I hope you understand what I am saying.
  10. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    No, I get where you are coming from. But when you talk about a level playing field you really have to understand that the oil companies have been at a huge disadvantage for a long time. They are still under repressive government restrictions. They took away the companies ability to refine their own product here at home and they are taxed far beyond most product lines.

At this point, the alternative fuel industry is a fledging entity and while gaining more steam as we go they are still a young industry compared to the oil industry.

IF you want to make great inroads into the alternative fuel arena make a better mouse trap, if you know what I mean.

One other thing, if you have the ones out in front crowing it's appeal and they themselves are not willing to make a full commitment, (Al Gore..I'll send you a PM on this guy) why would anyone else want to do so.

Guys like him and Robert Kennedy Jr. need to put their money where their mouths are before any serious venture capitol will be made.
  11. BrAinPaiNt

61,238 Messages
    4,563 Likes Received
    No need to send me stuff on gore, contrary to what some people think...I don't care for the guy and think his carbon credit crap is nothing more than a business for him to make money for him.

As far as the other restrictions. I was not talking about them. Just the tax situations.
  12. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Check your PM though. You will love this.
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,791 Messages
    1,667 Likes Received
    Yeah so many of the libs making the most noise about this seem UNWILLING to put THEIR OWN money into it.