1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Something dawned on me after seeing Jason Garrett with "53" on his hat

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by zack, Dec 22, 2012.

1. zack

zack Well-Known Member

1,966 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    I was watching the NFL replay from the Dallas/Steelers game. There was a shot of Jason Garrett on the sidelines wearing his Dallas Cowboys hat with the Big "D" and next to it was the stitched number 53 with a circle around it.

We all know that's Jerry Brown's number. As soon as I thought about him and his number, it dawned on me that there are 53 players on an active NFL roster.

His death has seemed to brought this team closer. The way players have been brought in and shuffled around on this team has been pretty amazing and that it takes 53 to win in the NFL.

I am hoping that this is sign for this team. I didn't know if anyone else thought about it that way or not, I just that it was really interesting.

Go Cowboys!
  2. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,044 Messages
    873 Likes Received
    I like it.
  3. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue

2,221 Messages
    280 Likes Received
  4. sacowboysfan513

sacowboysfan513 Active Member

1,965 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    Very interesting. I could very easily see this team being closer together after what happened to Brown.

Death is a hard thing to deal with, its always important to lean on those close to you for comfort and support during the hard times. And I bet they have leaned on each other during these times.

I could see this team going from just being teammates to becoming family after what happened.
  5. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I know it's a big if but IF they somehow win the Super Bowl Jerry Brown's family needs to get a ring. This team has rallied around a memory and has a new sense of purpose it seems. They played smarter the last two weeks and have played gutsy football. There is no question in my mind that Jerry Brown is at the forefront of their thoughts.
  6. zack

zack Well-Known Member

1,966 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    Thanks Mods for fixing the title, much better.

Yes, I agree that they should honor him if they make it all the way.

Team - it takes all 53 to get it done. :starspin
  7. acheman

acheman Member

972 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Also, this is the FRANCHISES 53rd Year of existence! Good catch btw.
  8. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,520 Messages
    556 Likes Received
    The symbolism is obvious and probably valid but there is just something creepy to me about using Brown's death in relation to what is essentially a money making machine.

Especially since the vast majority didn't even know who the guy was before he died - it's like he means more to people dead that he ever did alive.
  9. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,179 Messages
    1,449 Likes Received
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this. Why not just a subtle black ribbon on the shirt or something? That big white 53 almost seems a little garish... Like he's trying to draw attention to it.
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

26,587 Messages
    2,748 Likes Received
    I know exactly what you're getting at, and I felt the same thing. Ultimately, though, the corporate aspect I think is offset by the team aspect. I'm sure if you could somehow ask Jerry whether he wanted the team to come together after his death and use it for motivation, he'd be in favor of it. Especially if it ended up being a catalyst for something special.

But, yeah, the appearance of trying to 'benefit' from an unfortunate circumstance is something you want to avoid. I felt a similar way about Chris Johnson writing the kids' names on his shoes last weekend: it's a nice gesture, but it's hard not to see it as a publicity stunt, too.
  11. Hostile

118,044 Messages
    873 Likes Received
    I guess I am unaware of the money Dallas is making off of the #53 and Brown's name. Would you mind telling me about it?
  12. RomoIzDaMan

RomoIzDaMan New Member

48 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I get that most of the players didn't know Brown.JG did.He recalled numerous occasions when they would meet up and say hello.I think th bigger thing driving this team is Josh Brent.Say what you want about what he did but he is well liked among the players and I think more than the Brown aspect,it is Brent they are playing for. Forget where it was brought up-by Mickey Spagnola or beat reporter Mike Fisher but it was mentioned that there is a closeness among the team that was never there before.I believe this is driving the sudden upgrade in the teams play on the field more than anything else and just maybe,if they get nto the post season,it is enough to fuel them to the SB
  13. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,356 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Is Brown the first Cowboys player to die during a season?
  14. Hostile

118,044 Messages
    873 Likes Received
    Yes sir. He and Ennis Heywood were Practice Squad players and the only players associated with the Cowboys to die in their 20's.
  15. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

4,179 Messages
    815 Likes Received
    As fans, practice squad guys are pretty much an unknown to us. Red and the Boys would have a different take on things, they actually knew him and he was a part of what they did as a team.

When you lose someone you know it hits hard. I only saw the 53 on Red's hat as a way to honor someone he knew. It was a thing of respect, not anything else. From everything we know about Red, I think it is safe to say his only motive is to honor Jerry and his family.
  16. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I'd like to hear it too.

By the way, Zack, nice to see you around my friend. You should post more.
  17. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,039 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    I too like it zack! Nice way of looking at it. Jerry meant something to this team. He was teammate, a friend, a brother, and most of all, family! God bless Jerry and his family!

Now onto football. This is something the players are playing for. This season is not a curse, but rather a blessing in so many ways other than football!
  18. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,520 Messages
    556 Likes Received
    I think you missed the point of my statement. Or rather, you didn't miss it, you avoided it entirely but that's fine.

Good to see I'm not the only one that feels a little odd about it. I didn't say anything about the intention of wearing the 53 being anything less than honorable.
  19. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,101 Messages
    801 Likes Received
    he symbolism is obvious and probably valid but there is just something creepy to me about using Brown's death in relation to what is essentially a money making machine.

Yeah, right!

Look at what you posted then and what you just posted and tell us that you say anything about the intention...

:rolleyes:
  20. JakeCamp12

JakeCamp12 Well-Known Member

2,087 Messages
    62 Likes Received
    I was hoping to see the hat JG was wearing with the 53 on it be sold online so that any proceeds from buying the particular hat went to Brown's family. I didn't see anything wrong with what JG did and I thought it was a great thing that he put the number on his hat.