1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Sorry to play Captain Obvious

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TheSport78, Apr 27, 2011.

1. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Just heard that Dallas is deciding between Anthony Castonzo and JJ Watt, assuming there isn't a trade up for PP. They would prefer to trade down to the mid-teens and would likely take the tackle over the DE because this draft is so deep with defensive linemen. Just thought I'd mention the info.
    :starspin

Plug and play with Castonzo is likely.
  2. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Not surprised at all. It really does seem the most likely. Castanzo is one of the only guaranteed day 1 starters for us.
  3. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    ....I havent' seen ANY tape on Castonzo....because I didn't think we'd take him. Anyone care to download some?:confused:

As for JJ Watt..........man, I just can NOT get up for him guys. Saw him play for a few years in the Big Ten....very solid but certainly unspectacular. Hope I'm wrong.....but I said the same thing about Anthony Spencer a few years ago. Solid but unspectacular. That's what he's been for us too. (and some would say NOT that solid!)
  4. fishspill

fishspill Well-Known Member

1,120 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    I'm not enthusiastic about Castonzo. I think a year of NFL weight work and he could be very good. The first year might have us wondering what the heck the front office was thinking, but that might be the case with any OT we take so high.

My long-term concern with anyone as smart as he is has to do with resolve to play the game. We all know Garrett is smart and guys like Steve Young are smart, but this guy, from all indications, is a tick or two above them. If he really wants to go to medical school, how many broken fingers does he get before he thinks about how this might affect his ability to suture or a surgical rotation or wonder if he'll retain the manual dexterity or feeling to palpate a region in someone to detect an abnormality?

As coarse as it sounds give me the guy with fewer life options.
  5. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I haven't heard any reports of them looking to take him honestly...
  6. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,474 Messages
    840 Likes Received
    What are you hearing?
  7. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    I don't believe he wants to be a surgeon but to do medical research in a cure for cancer. To do medical research you don't need dexterity but I do see your point and how much passion he has for the game. Von Miller is also a very smart guy and has other options besides football. A lot of players do.
  8. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,477 Messages
    2,894 Likes Received
    JJ Watt at pick 9 just doesnt excite me at all, he just doesnt seem that big of a playmaker.

Like others have said, he is solid but not phenominal. In the top 10, he would be a huge dissappointment.
  9. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,851 Messages
    2,335 Likes Received
    i am fine with costanzo as long as we trade down and pick him between 13-17
    as a top 20 pick in the NFL he will get paid way better than any doctor (believe me, i know)
    money cures all :)
    he wont go anywhere, certainly not to medical school
  10. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,420 Messages
    641 Likes Received
    All of these last minute predictions I take with a grain of salt. There is so much disinformation being bandied about that it's anyone's guess what will actually develop as the draft progresses. We won't have to wait long to get the true picture, though. Whether or not we trade down (or up) won't fully be determined until all the picks are in before our turn comes up. Let's just hope this draft doesn't follow suit with the devastating effects of Dallas' recent ones and that the redheaded JG lives up to his lofty reputation. Tick-tock, tick-tock . . .
  11. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,316 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    I thought he was the second choice if Smith was gone.

I still think they want Smith. They were blowing smoke at the presser.