1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Source: Cowboys' Bryant may need new deal to fix finances

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Risen Star, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,294 Messages
    6,250 Likes Received
    Dez Bryant is headed into the season hoping to put his financial woes of the off-season in his rearview mirror.

But according to a source, Bryant's problems won't be completely solved until he earns more money or signs a new contract.

Bryant faced two lawsuits in the spring seeking more than $850,000 from the Dallas Cowboys receiver. One of the suits was settled, but one is alive in Tarrant County.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/09/06/3341701/source-cowboys-bryant-may-need.html#ixzz1XGf61kEd
  2. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,898 Messages
    210 Likes Received
    IMO, this has very little to do with football, but I hope he learns from this. Unless your talking about a house or car, there's no reason for him to get anything, that he can't pay for right then in person.
  3. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Classic case of spending more than you will earn... Talk about bad decisions, who's his NO man as Deion stated?
  4. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,159 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Wow....this is genius way by Dez to get a new deal.

He is so talented and important to our team. Charge more then you can pay and let the team give you a raise to pay your bills........so you can play and stay out of jail. epic.
  5. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,567 Messages
    259 Likes Received
    I've got to be honest, this smells really bad.
  6. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,544 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    I love it when my source tells me stuff. Just the other day, a little kid, whose name shall remain anonymous told me that Clarence was a sissy....true story, I have a source.:wink2:
  7. Smith22

Smith22 Well-Known Member

5,690 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    The math doesn't add up.

Eleow Hunt, of Colleyville, alleges that Bryant and his adviser, David Wells, owe him about $600,000

He earned $2.84 million in 2010 in salary, signing and roster bonuses. He will make $1.1 million in base salary this season.
    Dockery's numbers
  8. Smith22

Smith22 Well-Known Member

5,690 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    If you make close to $4 million in 2 seasons, paying back 600K or 800K shouldn't be an issue, unless you are spending like our government does.
  9. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,649 Messages
    294 Likes Received
    It is so shocking a negative article about a star player would come out less than a week before the start of the season! The Dallas media is really on top of it :rolleyes:
  10. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,772 Messages
    524 Likes Received
    So the kid has made 4 million dollars and Clarence thinks he needs a raise to pay off a 600 thousand dollar debt that worst case he would probably have to pay half of?

Clarence needs to go back to math class.
  11. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    It's like this writer, and most Dallas media really. They sit and think of the most inopportune times to write something about the team. It cannot be uplifting or positive about the organization or a player. If an ounce of sunshine is pumped for this team or anyone on it, it has to be re-edited so that it can fit the ESPN/DMN/ST mantra hate and spin-o-RAMA.

I cannot for a second imagine anyone paying for ESPN access of any kind.

I would have a seriously hard time containing myself if I saw this fool or JJT out in public. I honestly would have to say something.

Seriously? You have NOTHING at all under the sun to write about except this rediculous claim, that you cannot substantiate. You have no physical proof to support your story except the stupid and overabused "source" source.

How completely trashy and without talent. Guys/Gals! We could write something far better and far more entertaining than this. :)
  12. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,567 Messages
    259 Likes Received
    I remember last year right before the Jets played the Vikings that whole deal about Favre and the email pictures came out. I'm sure it was just coincidence.
  13. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,124 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    The story says he faces two lawsuits seeking almost $850,000.

He earned $2.84 million in salary last year. Let's subtract about 30 percent of that via federal taxes. So he's coughing up more than $850,000 in taxes alone. Leaving him a little under $1.9 million.
    Then let's factor in health insurance and retirement, another 7 percent (guess), which is about $133,000. He's now close to $1.77 million. And then let's assume he's living large, has body guards, buys expensive jewelry and cars, supporting his family and friends, etc.
    No telling how much that costs.

Now apply the same to his $1.1 million salary.

Then, he will likely have to pay attorneys costs defending both lawsuits.

Do you see how quickly his money can be eaten up?
  14. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,638 Messages
    4,510 Likes Received
    Negativity sells. Because we're buying. GO COWBOYS!
  15. hornitosmonster

hornitosmonster Well-Known Member

3,760 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    Hope Dez learns. I read an interesting thing on Larry Fitzgerald. He has yet to touch any of his signing bonuses. He lives on his regular salary and endorsements. His bonuses total around 50 million.
  16. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,171 Messages
    714 Likes Received
    it isn't like he can't get a loan to take care of this.
  17. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,649 Messages
    294 Likes Received
    No mention of following up with Dez either to confirm if he does not have the money or made arrangements for the second loan.
  18. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd guess he'd also have an agent.
  19. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,721 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    Your math is off. He is paying 35% of his income for the privilege of living in the USA.
  20. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    His management/agent/representation took 8-15% off the top of his contract as well.