1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Source tells cwatkins Cowboys probably won't trade Jenkins unless they get value

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,890 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Albert Breer made the point that if Jenkins plays well this year that he'll fetch a comp pick in next year's draft. So you don't want to give him away for nothing.
  2. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    I wouldn't do it for a 4th alone but if that 4th were the difference somehow between us getting either Konz or Glenn or not then I think I would.
  3. noletime95

noletime95 Well-Known Member

1,096 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    The Cowboys also have to account for the compensatory pick Jenkins will bring for next years draft.....in addition to have another quality CB for next year.

I'm not sure if I would deal him for less than a 2nd.....I expect he'll comand a good size contract and bring a 3rd-4th rounder next year anyway.
  4. Yuma Cactus

Yuma Cactus Active Member

707 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    Unless someone offers a 2nd or a 3rd + 4th then keep him around. If he plays good throw the franchise tag on him and see if you can trade him, if not let him walk and take your supplemental.
  5. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    agreed and a seasons full of "business decisions"
  6. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,562 Messages
    537 Likes Received
    At this point just keep him for his contract year, he will probably play well if healthy, then we can look at the finances and dynamics that were produced with those three cb's. Maybe we re-sign him and move Scandricks contract.

I like the idea of having 3 starting corners. God forbid if we pick up a FS who can also play man and disrupt the wr's off the line.

Maybe we turn Bruce Carter into a blitz machine?
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,885 Messages
    7,625 Likes Received
    I came into this thread just to mock Watkins on that very point. But then I saw the body actually said 'significant value' and I was like, oh, that *is* revolutionary. :)
  8. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,035 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    I'd trade him for a 3rd or high 4th
  9. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,794 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    Jenkins isn't stupid.

He'll probably play his best this year since he has seen what a productive year will do for his wallet when he becomes a FA.

We should use that as a motivation for Jenkins....we will have three very good CBs. We have the option to trade him mid season for a 2nd rounder or get a 3rd round comp pick.

No need to be desperate and get less.
  10. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,128 Messages
    1,825 Likes Received
    Pretty much where I am, if Jenkins and a 4th rounder gets me the player I want - say Peter Konz - I would do it.

If not, keep the great depth for 2012.

After all, it is a passing league.
  11. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

2,000 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    not sure why there's this clamour to get rid of a pro bowl cb.

For a 2nd even its not worth it. Hell let him play the year out and go sign a big free agent contract and get a comp pick down the line.

CB is now THE strength of this team, lets keep it that way shall we?
  12. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    Werder just confirmed that they're shopping him around but don't expect to trade him unless they get a really good offer because he's cheap and they like the depth. So, basically, he ain't going anywhere.
  13. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,566 Messages
    2,947 Likes Received
    I would take a 4th rounder and not look back.

Phillip Blake, Ryan Broyles come on down.
  14. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If that's what Werder said, expect the exact opposite.

For someone with alleged "sources", I don't think anyone could have been more wrong about more things than Special Ed.
  15. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    If they play this right, they should dangle him out there but don't set the hook. His value will only go up at this point. I want to hold my cards on Jenkins though. I'm not sure why we're in such a hurry to dump him.
  16. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I'm having a hard time with this. The liquor store clerk really does have a crystal ball.
  17. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,889 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    ill take the 4th rounder and maybe a fifth rounder this or next year. Then take that 4th and package it with a 3rd to move into round 2....lol...then we won't have a 3rd rounder sooooooo idk.
  18. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    4th and a 3rd wont get you into the 2nd.