1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Sources: Dave Campo won't retun to Cowboys

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by RS12, Jan 9, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,144 Messages
    1,127 Likes Received
    By Tim MacMahon
    ESPNDallas.com
    Archive

Secondary coach Dave Campo will not return to the Dallas Cowboys' coaching staff next season, according to sources.

Campo has been on the Cowboys' staff for 18 of his 23 years in the NFL, including serving as the head coach during three 5-11 seasons from 2000-02. He was an original member of Jimmy Johnson's coaching staff in 1989 and earned three Super Bowl rings with the Cowboys in the 1990s. He returned to Dallas in 2008 after stints as an assistant coach for the Cleveland Browns and Jacksonville Jaguars.

Campo declined to comment when contacted

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...y-coach-dave-campo-return-dallas-cowboys-2012
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,422 Messages
    2,123 Likes Received
    Good.

All I have to say.
  3. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,451 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received
    A belated Christmas present!

:D
  4. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,820 Messages
    2,667 Likes Received
    Better late than never, I guess.
  5. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,144 Messages
    1,127 Likes Received
    The bad news is everybody else will.
  6. AmarilloCowboyFan

AmarilloCowboyFan Active Member

2,396 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    :beatit: :dance2: :dance3: :fogeys:
  7. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

3,011 Messages
    331 Likes Received
  8. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,959 Messages
    756 Likes Received
    That's step one in the process of good offseason moves. I'm be thrilled that this guy is no longer here.
  9. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,422 Messages
    2,123 Likes Received
    Why does it have to come to a painfully obvious and embarrassing firing before trash gets sent out the door?

Seriously, who in the right mind would have let Campo come back for the 2011 season. After the way the secondary played last year, how can you let the guy come back at all. Sure, they pursued someone else but you can't find an alternative to a guy who coached up one of the worst secondaries in the league?

Better late than never is right. Should have happened a long time ago. He should have never been hired in the first place.
  10. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,144 Messages
    1,127 Likes Received
    Continuity:laugh2:
  11. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He should have been fired on the spot for letting someone pants him.
  12. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    :lmao2:
  13. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,959 Messages
    756 Likes Received
    Especially when that someone is Pacman Jones.
  14. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,095 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    Fifi's style just as much as anyone, but I hope the financial aspect, as in pension, is taking care of because he needs it. He has a child with special needs and although I don't have any evidence to back it up, I'm sure that played a huge role in bringing him back after he was about to get fired in Jacksonville.
  15. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  16. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,144 Messages
    1,127 Likes Received
    Pension plans for NFL coaches are supposed to outstanding, I am sure the benefits are good as well. Would not suprise me if Jerry kept him on the pay roll some where away from the field.
  17. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,066 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    Jerry is loyal to a fault. It took a ridiculous season last year to finally cut bait with a lot of driftwood on the roster - Barber, Williams, Gurode, Colombo, Davis.

Before that, Flozell.

He's loyal to his guys to a fault. It's a business, but he takes it personally. It's a great quality to have as a leader of men (empathy, caring, etc) but not in a business where success is determined by wins. If they aren't helping you win and getting better, then they need to be sent packing. We're headed in that direction - where we'll be able to draft and develop talent well enough so that when a marginal guy who's played well hits his peak, we can send him away for picks and call up the young, fresh legs to fill in and use those picks acquired to find more young talent.

Jason's just got a big hole to dig out of left by the last regime and Jerry.
  18. CCBoy

CCBoy Benched

16,573 Messages
    1,087 Likes Received
    Quick question here. Are you feeling like this is year two of four, or the first of three years to build?
  19. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,066 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    Two of Four.

I think it started last year in getting Wade out, the first wave of cuts happened this year, the foundation will be laid this off-season, and the Cowboys will be a legit threat for the Super Bowl in the 2013 season, but will have the pieces in place to make a run/push this coming season. We could win it next year, I think, pending the changes in the off-season.
  20. CCBoy

CCBoy Benched

16,573 Messages
    1,087 Likes Received
    Lol, snapping heels together and saluting.:) I think their own changes and how the Giants and Philadelphia sort things out will reflect this upcoming season.