1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Spagnola: Maybe Perceptions Aren’t Truly Reality

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by jobberone, Feb 2, 2013.

1. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,549 Messages
    3,833 Likes Received
    IRVING, Texas – Perception is a cruel disease, a cancerous assumption that takes on a life of its own.

As the former longtime director of operations Bruce Mays used to preach to me for all those many years here at The Ranch, once a perception is out there, well, that might as well be reality. Hard to prove otherwise.

Sort of like the way it’s frustratingly difficult to put something back in the box once you’ve taken it out.

And on Jan. 3 of this year, just four days after the Dallas Cowboys’ 2012 season came to a crashing and crushing halt with a 28-18 loss to the Washington Redskins in the Game 16, winner-takes-the East contest at FedEx Field, relegating these Cowboys to yet another disappointing 8-8 finish, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones opened the barn door.

Understandably frustrated after two consecutive 8-8 seasons, meaning his club would miss the playoffs a third straight year, he uttered this now infamous statement on his weekly radio segment:

“I can assure our fans this, that it's going to be very uncomfortable from my standpoint. It's going to be very uncomfortable for the next few weeks and months at Valley Ranch.”

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...-Reality/91a5778e-d55c-460f-8957-eaef8eec8d23
  2. BigDPlayer

BigDPlayer Active Member

533 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    Spags preaching some truth up in here!
  3. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,305 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    I would really hope what Spags says here was the truth, for it would be good news for the Cowboys to actually have a HC with some hutzpah.

But we all know what a shill Spags has always been for the team/Jerry. He is a company man through and through. So sorry, Spags. I just can't trust you for an honest opinion here.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,503 Messages
    6,249 Likes Received
    This will be a short thread. :)
  5. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,126 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    This.
  6. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,310 Messages
    2,118 Likes Received
    Interesting if true.
  7. Idgit

30,503 Messages
    6,249 Likes Received
    Given how much flak the OL gets from the same people who give JG flak for play calling, yes, it's interesting. Those are pretty impressive numbers given the worst OL in football and a guy who can't call an NFL offense leading the charge.
  8. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,665 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Looks like you are right, Idgit!
  9. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    I don't think that at all.

I like Mickey. He has great info during the week leading up to the game.

In fact on talking cowboys this season he had better info on the team than any other media member IMO. Good news and bad.

I appreciate Mickey who has been here through it all and I think it's kid of sorry when all of these fans who live a thousand miles away always bag on him when he had been one of the main guys for 20 years giving them inside info.

I hae always liked Mickey.
  10. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,513 Messages
    716 Likes Received

Be ready to be labeld a shill.

I have quoted Mickey on here several times and all I got was that I'm a homer or whatever they call it these days.

You hit the nail on the head though, Mickey will always give out inside information during the show for both the Cowboys and the other team.

I tend to listen to the shows during the offseason because Mickey tends to give out more info that pertained to the last season than usual.

Just as an example, Mickey said that Mike Jenkins and Felix Jones both had the same surgeries and that the trainers wanted for Jenkins to rehab in Dallas under their supervision but Mike chose not to. Felix was cleared by the start of TC and Jenkins was further behind than they thought when they were able to look at him.
  11. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    I don't care if I am called a Shill or homer to be honest.

Usually the ones who call people that don't really know what they are talking about anyway and it shows time and time again.
  12. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,549 Messages
    3,833 Likes Received
    I don't dismiss him but I do try to filter.
  13. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,825 Messages
    1,767 Likes Received
    Those numbers are inflated by a huge 2007.
  14. Idgit

30,503 Messages
    6,249 Likes Received
    Huge years tend to inflate statistics. Ask any of the other teams right there with us in terms of offensive production during that same period.
  15. brucekr

brucekr Active Member

353 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    Just a quick browse at the espn statistics section...

2012 we were 15th in scoring offense and 6th in yardage
    2011 15th, and 11th
    2010 7th, 7th
    2009 14th, and 2nd

Aside from 2010, we're an average scoring offense. Over that stretch, maybe we're just more consistent than other teams, so the sum of those years places us higher. But it's alarming to me how we can dominate in yardage gained and still be average at scoring. And I'd love to find a good site for offensive penalities per season rankings, because I'm sure it would paint a pretty unattractive picture.

I think the lack of a power running game is why we lack points. I dunno how many times I've seen drives stall in the red zone either from penalties or just lack of ability to get tough yards at that end of the field on the ground. I miss the days of watching our line blow open holes from Emmitt. Heck, at this point, the Julius Jones/Marion the Barbarian era seems like it was a decade ago. We've had several offensive line coaches, linemen, running backs.... It's just frustrating to watch a good front 7 decimate our offense.

I dunno, I'll always love my cowboys, but I don't see how switching a single thing on defense is going to change anything our offense can do, aside from giving them more opportunities with the ball. All I can do is hope that whatever changes are being made are directly reflected in our W-L column next year.
  16. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,305 Messages
    172 Likes Received

We look through different colored glasses I guess.

I enjoy Mickey's articles as well, but to not see the "company man" aspect of Mickey after all these years of him being exactly that, I don't know. There is a reason he's been there 20 years or whatever you mentioned. He listens to his boss (Jerry).
  17. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,460 Messages
    572 Likes Received
    My biggest issue during all of January was that Jerry's mouth neutered his coach in the public's eye. This article is not going to do a whole lot to change a perception that Jerry was so annoyingly created entirely on his own.
  18. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,460 Messages
    572 Likes Received
    Totally agree with this. He is well connected obviously, but his articles tell the tale the way the Dallas Cowboys want it told imo.
  19. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,477 Messages
    8,377 Likes Received
    Exactly right. He's a worthless read if you want the truth.
  20. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,196 Messages
    1,542 Likes Received
    Romo...