1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Spags: Vinny's Real Purpose

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Hostile, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Vinny's Real Purpose

By MICKEY SPAGNOLA
    DallasCowboys.com Columnist
    June 24, 2004, 5:30 p.m. (CDT)

IRVING, Texas - Yo' Vinny! Whattaya doing here?

You're 40 years old, turning 41 in November. You've played in the NFL for 17 years. Been around the block a time or two, first with Tampa Bay, then Cleveland, then the New York Jets for the past six seasons.

You grew up in Elmont, N.Y., a deep throw from the Jets' training complex in Hempstead, and you still reside on the Island with your wife and three kids. You've made all the money you can ever spend, and the Cowboys only ante-upped $1.1 million, plus playing incentives, but not even a signing bonus to cover moving expenses, for you.

Why you have been doing this so, so long, gosh, I can remember back like 18 years when your No. 2-ranked Miami Hurricanes were playing Barry Switzer's No. 1-ranked Oklahoma Sooners at the Orange Bowl, and you had that play that just broke the Sooners' will when you scrambled to and fro, hither and yonder, for what seemed like an eternity back there before breaking like three tackles for an 11-yard gain and an all-important first down in what turned out to be a Canes' victory on Sept. 27, 1986.

But you still want more? Want to play that 18th NFL season? And to do so, you are willing to move to Texas, which for most New Yorkers is no different than moving to Bulgaria?

What's up with that "gramps," as the guys in the locker quickly transitioned from calling the 35-year-old Darren Woodson to Vinny in a matter of mini-camp days?

"I feel like I can still play, and that's why I'm doing this," Testaverde says. "I knew I wasn't enjoying what I was doing in New York. Felt like I was just there collecting a check. I'm not made that way.

"Whether I'm on the field playing or on the bench, I'll feel like I am helping, whether it be Quincy, Drew, Tony or Chad out there. Then I'll feel better about depositing that check. Last year, I didn't feel like I really helped that team."

That should tell you all you need to know about Vincent Testaverde, the first pick in the 1987 draft by Tampa Bay, and no matter what you think of him, he did have a 21-1 regular-season record at the University of Miami during his two years of starting and did win the 1986 Heisman Trophy.

He's here to help - anyway he can. Who cares what his inner motivation is to play an 18th season. Maybe deep down he thinks he'll end up with the starting job. Maybe you never have enough money to turn your back on another cool mil. Maybe he truly is the nurturing type, willing to impart 17 years worth of wisdom on these quarterback puppies the Cowboys have gathered.

Or maybe he's so beholdin' to Bill, that he's doing the guy a huge favor, since he trusts Parcells and obviously Parcells trusts him.

Who cares?

The fact is, he's here, giving the Cowboys a veteran backup for only the second time in the past seven years. Think about it, ever since Wade Wilson moved on in 1998 to the Raiders, the Cowboys haven't had a backup quarterback who had been around the block as a starter but one season. That was Randall Cunningham in 2000, and the truth of the matter is, he really didn't want to play, even when he had to, you know.

But for the past three seasons, the Cowboys have been flying by the seat of their pants. Some would say at both the starting and backup quarterback positions. At least now, if nothing else, they have a quarterback these young guys should listen to if they have the sense they were born with.

"He has tremendous experience, extraordinary ability as a passer," Parcells says. "But I think he'll be a good mentor for these guys. He's a stable guy. I think it's worth it.

"I know Vinny is not the long-term future here, he knows that. But he can be of value to the organization. We'll see how it goes, I don't know. Only so much tread on those tires."

That gives you some idea of what Parcells was thinking about when signing Vinny instead of trying to convince a veteran quarterback like Kerry Collins or Kurt Warner or Jeff Garcia to sign with the Cowboys. First of all, those guys still have designs on being a starter, which translates into designs on receiving a contract meeting those desires.

Secondly, and maybe most importantly, those guys would not have a vested interest in helping out Carter or Henson - the Dallas Cowboys - as the ball cap-wearing veteran quarterback if that indeed ended up being their role.

"Here's the difference between Vinny and somebody else," Parcells said. "I don't think Vinny stops progress. I think we still make progress with our young players, and still have Vinny here. In fact, he will add to that . . . .

"I don't think he's going to be someone inhibiting the progress of our young (quarterbacks)."

Parcells then is hoping to get the best of both worlds: Not only tap into Vinny's experience, but also have a guy who can bail out a team with playoff aspirations if the starter gets hurt, falters or needs to be replaced.

Plus, have a guy who understands his station on the team, no matter if he still has the desire to compete for a starting job. Hey, what's wrong with that? I mean, that's exactly what you what, a guy with fire still in his belly after all these years, but not burning to the extent of singeing the team.

"Because once you stop trying to prove yourself, it's time to hang it up," Testaverde said when asked about the competition that might be waged during training camp. "To play the game, you need the emotion and competitiveness and drive to play.

"I still think I have a lot to prove. Prove to my teammates, to the coaches, to myself - and to the people who think that the age of 40 is too old to play."

Yeah, that's right. Let's give Vinny a double yo' for that.

MICK SHOTS

Has there been any more cursed position on this team over the past six years than wide receiver? Today's scheduled foot surgery to repair recently-signed Dedric Ward's fractured fifth metatarsal only highlights this black hole which has engulfed the likes of Michael Irvin, James McKnight, Joey Galloway, Rocket Ismail, Ernie Mills, Wane McGarity, Jermaine Copeland and Anthony Lucas.
    Interesting to note that in the Forbes list of the top 50 paid male athletes, only eight are football players, and at that, five are ranked no higher than 35th. Needless to say, none of the eight are members of the Dallas Cowboys. But not surprisingly, Indy's Peyton Manning is the top-earning football player over the past year and No. 3 overall, raking in an estimated $42 million in salary, bonuses, endorsements, prize money and appearance fees.
    And before any of you accuse me of being lazy next week when you notice no updates in Spagnola's Corner or Mick's Mail, understand I'm out for the week, and that's not to be confused with the hard work on my trip to Cabo with the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
  2. Rude

Rude New Member

703 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I cant picture Mick saying Yo for some reason, lol
  3. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,987 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Vinnie is a truly special guy.

Spags got that point over well.
  4. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    The other point Spags got over, is that he doesn't think Testaverde has a chance to start. I don't agree with that assessment.

I guess we'll see.
  5. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,666 Messages
    2,391 Likes Received
    From a recent interview by Jason Witten's hometown newspaper:

Nice of Vinny to do such a great acting job just to push Quincy. :)
  6. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

3,019 Messages
    68 Likes Received

Well,
    I for one think that he is stating the obvious and nothing that i didn't tell people right after we signed him when people were saying he would start.

Only way Vinny starts is if Carter gets hurt or completely implodes.

Even if they perform the same or Vinny slightly better in the preseason, carter will win the job.
  7. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,521 Messages
    467 Likes Received

Did anyone else picture Steve Martin yelling "I found my special purpose!" after reading that?
  8. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,256 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    As one who supports Carter....I have a sick feeling when Mickey appears to think that Carter will start. He has a history of being very wrong on the subject.
  9. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,428 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    I don't think that their head to head performance will be the only deciding factor here.

Personally I think Henson's progress will play a part.
  10. MikeD17

MikeD17 Benched

678 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wow me and Mick Actually agree on

Hes right on the nose with this one

Nice Job Mick!!
  11. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,544 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    Ditto.....
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,317 Messages
    1,799 Likes Received
    Mick is only setting you guys up. Should the 40 year old man beats out Carter believe me Mick is going to be on the war path about how some old man beat out the lovable Qunicy and once and for be able to say Look I told you Carter was not the man for the job. For QC I hope he is taking this competition more seriously that some of the fans because I have no doubt Vinny is taking it very seriously.
  13. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,575 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Well, if VT does beat out QC (which I don't think will happen) he would have a right to say that because it would be true IF Vinnie wins the job.
  14. Doomsday101

75,317 Messages
    1,799 Likes Received
    I'm interested to see this competion myself, Carter has competed thus far with a guy who had little experiance in football and now will be challenged by a man who has 18 years in the league and a guy who still has a strong arm to make the throws. No doubt should Carter win the job it would be a big feather in his cap but anyone who thinks this is going to be a walk in the park for Carter is only kidding themselfs. Vinny wants this job and I'm sure he will give his best effort to win it, I suggest Carter be ready to do the same.
  15. flashback

flashback Real Man of Genius

707 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Seriously? Who's the most hated player on the Cowboys for 3 years running? Maybe if Robert Thomas was still around, or if Tyson Walter would tell the one about the African-American and the vasectomy they could challenge Carter for the title. But of all the things you could call Quincy, and have, why "loveable?"
  16. Doomsday101

75,317 Messages
    1,799 Likes Received
    Why lovable? because there are still enough people around here and many other sites who do love the guy as our QB if they didn't they would not go to such lenghts to defend such poor play. How many people came running to Hambricks aid? Or Ekuban?
  17. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Vinny's best chance is tied to the performance of the O Line. If that line is effective, it improves his chances, dramatically.

If not, we'll need Carter's in pocket mobility again.

BUttttttt, if the line performs, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Testaverde as the starting QB.
  18. Doomsday101

75,317 Messages
    1,799 Likes Received
    Being able to pick up your WR quickly and delivering the ball quickly will help combat a heavy pass rush. Looking at last season Vinny in 7 games was sacked 6 time. Pennington on the other hand was sacked 25 times in 10 games
  19. Hollywood Henderson

Hollywood Henderson Benched

3,329 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Vinny would make teams pay for blitzing, as he could actually HIT open receivers....I would be very suprised if Vinny does't start...
  20. kidcrook

kidcrook Member

819 Messages
    3 Likes Received

I REALLY agree with this statement. How could someone change their stance on something so abruptly and without any other provocation? He is really salivating at the chance he could have to tell all of the faithful readers/haters of his column to journalistcally kiss his ***. He can't wait for Quincy to mess up and hand the reins over to Vinny.

I seriously doubt that happens but I guess one can dream can't he? (re: Spags)