1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Spags: Vinny's Real Purpose

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Hostile, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,380 Messages
    1,866 Likes Received
    I don't necessarily think he is hoping Carter will fail I think like many he does not think Carter is the long-term answer at QB. Until QC can start playing like a decent QB I will continue to have major doubts about his ability as well. However if Carter goes out and starts producing and does so on a more consistent bases then I will have no problem what so ever of him being our QB. But the days of wishing, hoping and praying are over it is put up or shut up time
  2. Smith22

Smith22 Well-Known Member

5,692 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    and his team won 2 freakin games. If Carter loses to Vinny, we are in for a long season IMO. Other than serious injuries, the last thing I want to see is Vinny starting this year. I would rather Henson show us something and have him get broken in if Carter falls apart. All that being said, I expect to see Carter win the job.
  3. Doomsday101

75,380 Messages
    1,866 Likes Received
    Last time. TEAMS WIN GAMES, I don't think anyone in their right mind could look at 62.1 completion rate, 7 TD and 2 Ints and a rating of 90.6 and say that Vinny lost those games. As for Carter winning the job I would have no problem if and this is a hell of a big IF he can start playing like a fricken pro QB and not some rookie which is exactly what he looks like right now. As for Henson I have a lot of hope in him that he will develope into a very good QB and given what I have seen and know of Henson I think he presents the best chance of this team actually getting a quality QB but right now I doubt he plays this season, we will know a lot more once training camp and pre-season begins.
  4. Smith22

5,692 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    And the offense, with Vinny at QB, scored 16 points or less the 1st 4 games, 17, 19 and 30 points in the other 3. I'm sure he had nothing to dowith that. :rolleyes:
  5. Doomsday101

75,380 Messages
    1,866 Likes Received
    He played his position well I can't say the same for Carter. I have never claimed Vinny as a star QB in this league but I do consider him a solid QB who does not make many mental mistakes. Carter on the other hand looks like a rookie even after 3 years of play, he is no better than he was his rookie year and his number bear that out. I would love to see Carter turn it around but there is no reason to think that will be the case at this point and time.
  6. twa

twa Active Member

1,053 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have to say Vinnie IS the ultimate bus driver if that is what parcells want's. :D
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,800 Messages
    3,294 Likes Received
    Not exactly. I can see how you got there however.
  8. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received

What was the Won loss record with Vinnie as starter versus Pennington as
    starter?
  9. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,800 Messages
    3,294 Likes Received
    Take the QB position our of the formule for success this year. If the defense plays well again, if the o-line improves, if we get better production from the RB's we will still win 10 games regardless of the QB.

How the QB plays will determine how much better than 10 wins we are and how far we go in the playoffs.
  10. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received

You know pre Danny White/Pelluer/Hogeboom era I might have agreed with you. THAT HISTORY WAS EYE OPENING. BACK UPS ARE BACK UPS FOR A REASON.

Chad/Quincy history reinforces that QB's DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

Let the Romo camp chirp next. He's the answer!
  11. Smith22

5,692 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    You actually believe this? Do you honestly think that Carter would still be here if Parcells thought for once second that Carter hasn't shown improvement since entering the NFL? As far as stats are concerned, I believe Carter only completed 51% of his passes as a rookie and had a QB rating in the low 60's.

I see a big difference between the Carter of 2001 and the Carter of now. Carter was a deer lost in the headlights his rookie year. The guy had no business starting. Thank goodness he got injured and had a chance to sit out and mature some, because he bounced back and showed some improvement once he returned from his injury.

Anyhow, this past season, he completed close to 58% of his passes and had a rating in the low 70's. Does he need to improve? Hell yeah. Will he improve? We will find out this season one way or another. Bottom line, if Parcells knew without a doubt that Carter wasn't the answer, he would'nt be here. He could easily cut him loose, let Henson sit and learn behind Vinny and have him take over next year.
  12. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received

The reality is killing them that Carter may be a Parcells player..............