1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Speak correctly, or build a big bunker

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Oct 1, 2008.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,232 Messages
    4,556 Likes Received
    LINK

Before anyone cries liberal press...this lady is a CONSERVATIVE.

Anyways it is a good read.

Kathleen Parker
    October 1, 2008

WASHINGTON — Allow me to introduce myself. I am a traitor and an idiot. Also, my mother should have aborted me and left me in a Dumpster, but since she didn't, I should "off" myself.

Those are just a few nuggets randomly selected from thousands of e-mails written in response to my column suggesting that Sarah Palin is out of her league and should step down.

Who says public discourse hasn't deteriorated?

The fierce reaction to my column has been both bracing and enlightening. After 20 years of column writing, I'm familiar with angry mail. But the past few days have produced responses of a different order. Not just angry, but vicious and threatening.

Some of my usual readers feel betrayed because I previously have written favorably of Palin. By changing my mind and saying so, I am viewed as a traitor to the Republican Party—not a "true" conservative.

Palin's fans say they like her specifically because she's an outsider, not part of the Washington club. When she flubs during interviews, they identify with that too. "You see the lack of polish, we applaud it," one reader wrote.

Of course, there's a difference between a lack of polish and a lack of coherence. Some of Palin's interview responses can't even be critiqued on their merits because they're so nonsensical. "Let Sarah be Sarah" has become the latest rallying cry among my colleagues on the right. She'll be fine if we just leave her alone, they say. Between prayers, I might add.

Not all my mail has been mean-spirited. A fair number expressed polite disappointment; others relief and gratitude. Still others offered reasonable arguments aimed at changing my mind. I may yet.

In the meantime, this assault and my decision to write about it aren't really about me—or even Sarah Palin. The mailbag is about us, our country, and what we really believe.

That we have become a partisan nation is no secret. This week has provided a vivid example of where rabid partisanship leads with the failure of Congress to pass a bailout bill vitally needed to keep our economy from unraveling.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi gave a partisan speech, blaming the credit crisis on the Bush administration (omitting the Clinton administration's role in launching the subprime lending debacle). Republicans responded by voting against the bill.

Everyone's to blame, by the way.

Such extreme partisanship has a crippling effect on government, which may be desirable at times, but not now. More important in the long term is the less-tangible effect of stifling free speech. My mail paints an ugly picture and a bleak future if we do not soon correct ourselves.

The picture is this: Anyone who dares express an opinion that runs counter to the party line will be silenced. That doesn't sound American to me, but Stalin would approve. Readers have every right to reject my opinion. But when we decide that a person is a traitor and should die for having an opinion different than one's own, then we cross into territory that puts all freedoms at risk. (I hear you, Dixie Chicks.)

Our day of reckoning, indeed, may be upon us. Between war and economic collapse, we have enormous challenges. It will take the best of everyone to solve them. That process begins minimally with a commitment to engage in civil discourse and a cease-fire in the war against unwelcome ideas.

In that spirit, may Sarah Palin be fearless in Thursday's debate and speak her true mind.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,384 Messages
    3,722 Likes Received
    I do think it is important that Palin hold her own in the debate. She does not have to win but he must come off as competent
  3. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    She will, I'm sure.
  4. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Thanks, BP, for posting this. I read Kathleen Parker's earlier columns when she wrote them, both the one praising Sarah Palin and then, the later one, expressing dismay at her performances in interviews. But I hadn't seen this one.

The second column was upsetting, not because she changed her mind about Sarah Palin's effectiveness in such situations, but because she went so far as to suggest that Gov. Palin should resign and go back to Alaska before she did any more damage. She came off in that column as just another snobbish elite, as she also does in this latest one a bit.

I suspect that after the debate she will be back on the Palin bandwagon but will never again have the wholheated trust of her normal readership.

:)
  5. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,892 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    The U.S has become rather polarized politically and there appears to be a rather skewed view of the other party. There's little desire for compromise on either side, with each side pointing the finger at the other. Perhaps it's a function of the two party system.
  6. Wheat

Wheat Philosopher

2,924 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    classic trap for Biden here.

If he gives nothing but short answers followed by "I'd be interested to hear Gov Palin's opinion" in a extremely respectful manner. He might win.

Otherwise,the expectations for the Gov. are so low, I don't see how she misses.
  7. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received

Was wondering what the talking points would be for Friday.

Thanks for the advance notice.
  8. BrAinPaiNt

61,232 Messages
    4,556 Likes Received
    The advance notice. That idea has been floated around for some time and if it is true that the McCain camp is trying to lower expectations that is really giving them credit in a good way...because it is a better thought to have that excuse as opposed to her really being that bad without trying in those interviews.
  9. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    In other words if she fails she failed and if she succeeds, she didn't really because of low expectation.

Nice!
  10. BrAinPaiNt

61,232 Messages
    4,556 Likes Received
    Kind of worked out that way for Obama/McCain in the first debate. Neither did enough to really stand out, good or bad.

If you think that both parties don't already have their stuff set up for either scenario like this one you are crazy.

Did you know that the McCain camp accidentally released their McCain wins debate banner before the debate was even started?

Did you know the McCain camp already had two lines of attacks for whoever Obama chose for VP before he chose his VP? If it was a younger candidate lacking a great deal of EXP they were going to rush out and say neither has exp to lead the nation. If it was a person who had been in washington for a long time they were going to run out and yell that he is for change but he picked an insider.

Politics...both sides prepare stuff prior so no matter the outcome they have a talking point to throw out there in favor of their candidate and to lambast the opposing one.
  11. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    You're right. I agree. This is called political strategy. I was just saying they were jumping the gun a bit with the talking points.
  12. BrAinPaiNt

61,232 Messages
    4,556 Likes Received
    Of course they are...but it is something that happens a good deal of the time and normal political strategy.