1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Speculation: Is Brian Urlacher Heading The Same Way As Marinelli?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Gryphon, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Gryphon

Gryphon Merge Ahead

3,389 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    NFL Rumors: Is Brian Urlacher Heading The Same Way As Marinelli?
    Don McPeak-USA TODAY Sports

With the a new era dawning at Halas Hall for the Chicago Bears, Marc Trestman announced in his introductory press conference, that despite talking to the veteran defensive coach, Rod Marinelli couldn’t be persuaded to return to the Bears’ side lines in 2013.

With a new coaching structure beginning to take shape and Marinelli walking out on the Bears and its veteran defense, where does this leave veteran star MLB Brian Urlacher who is heading into free agency?

The obvious rumor for a landing spot for Marinelli has come in the shape of the Dallas Cowboys, who have recently installed the Tampa-2 defense under new coordinator Monte Kiffin. Marinelli served under Kiffin for four years at the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as defensive line coach.

With the Cowboys needing to learn a new scheme, Marinelli is an obvious fit in Dallas especially given his reputation as being one of the game’s best teachers.

The Cowboys may have Demarcus Ware, but his strength is in his passing rushing ability at OLB, even if the Cowboys where to draft a rookie ILB such Manti Te’o in the 2013 draft, the likelihood of them being ready to go at a high level is slim in my honest opinion.

By now I am sure you know where this is going. Trestman refused to be drawn into the specifics of Urlacher’s future in Chicago, complimenting his past production and stating that he and Phil Emery would discuss the roster in the coming days/weeks/months.

The Cowboys are serious about moving to the Tampa-2 defense, the Bears don’t know what defense they are running next season. There is no line backer in the league who knows this type of defense like Urlacher.

The Cowboys may look to sign up Urlacher in free agency in order to help transition this defense rapidly into the Tampa-2 , Urlacher has a lot of respect for Marinelli and may struggle to bring himself to sign a new contract in Chicago after the Bears usurped Lovie Smith as Head Coach.

With so much uncertainty in the air at this time of year, and a new era dawning in Chicago, don’t sleep on Urlacher lining up for “America’s Team” for the 2013 season.

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/...he-same-way-as-marinelli/?CTYA1YhfbegVIMiS.99
  2. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,036 Messages
    241 Likes Received
    :facepalm:
  3. koolaid

koolaid Drink Me

1,762 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    The last thing we need is high-priced vets on the wrong side of their career. Especially those with injury concerns.
  4. dstew60105

dstew60105 Active Member

1,768 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Has this writer ever heard of Sean Lee?
  5. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Like to see Marinelli bring Henry Melton with him, please.
  6. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

14,959 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    Urlacher looked extremely slow in the games I saw this year. I think injuries have taken their toll. No thanks
  7. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,765 Messages
    2,809 Likes Received
    You can tell this reporter has no clue about the roster at LB for the Cowboys other than Ware who will no longer be a OLB in the new system.
  8. numnuts23

numnuts23 Active Member

2,046 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I actually wouldn't mind it as long as it is CHEAP. Help with the transition over to the new D, but he wouldn't start and he likely won't come cheap, so there isn't a fit.
  9. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,328 Messages
    2,732 Likes Received
    I don't see Urlacher here except he's the Mike, Lee the Jake and Carter the Will which would work for me. How would we afford him? Not sure about his speed but Marinelli would.
  10. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,320 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    No way. Urlacher is older than Ware and Ware is 34. : )
  11. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    The Internet is awesome.

And gryphon always finds the shining examples of it.
  12. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,836 Messages
    5,416 Likes Received
    Ware is an old 35. A lot of wear and tear on that body.

He'll turn 37 this season. You have to look for a replacement. You can't possibly rely on a 40 year old as your best pass rusher.

I'd keep going but I don't feel like writing the obituary.
  13. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,241 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    thats what I am thinking.
  14. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    I have no problem bringing in Urlacher.... as long as he takes the vet minimum to back up Sean Lee (who is a better LB at this point).
  15. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,241 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    is Ware that old already? Holy S.
  16. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,836 Messages
    5,416 Likes Received
    Yep. He'll be 43 in July.
  17. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,320 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    His age is a sad matter. Coach Kiffin was heard commenting how much he'll miss Ware. Said Ware is like a father to him.
  18. numnuts23

numnuts23 Active Member

2,046 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Crap, so he'll be 45 by week 1!!!
  19. numnuts23

numnuts23 Active Member

2,046 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Thats funny
  20. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    What the hell is a "Jake"? You mean "Jack"? A "Jack" is a WILB in a 3-4. I assume you meant Sam. But I wouldn't do that cuz Lee is the better LB at this point and would be the Mike.