1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Spencer discussion

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by starfrombirth, Feb 13, 2013.

1. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,683 Messages
    352 Likes Received
    In todays "immediate gratification" mentality it makes sense to keep Spencer in the fold but the reality is... not so fast. Is Spencer a tier A free agent? I submit to you that he is not. Is he good? Absolutely but he is not great. He has the nickname "Almost Anthony" for a reason. For every year of his career here except for this one we as a fanbase have bemoaned how he can't help Ware rush the passer. So, in this, his contract year, we are supposed to believe that he has turned the corner and will now play lights out and earn his money on an ongoing basis? We haven't had the best of luck in that area recently. I'm sorry but I'm not "sucked" as Coach Parcells once said.

More importantly, lets say that he does play lights out for the term of his contract. Is he the final piece to the Superbowl puzzle? Not even close. We still need dline, oline, and possibly safety, and to a lesser extent corner. How much does he add to our already overburdened contract situation? Even with everybody restructuring we still have to pay for a 1st rnd dlineman or olineman. No matter what, we will have to pay for the draft class coming in and thats expensive in the total.

Does Spencer set the edge? Yes, probably as good or better than anyone else at his position but that's not enough to offset the marginal difference that a much lower paid player will make and the talent the we need at other positions. If he takes a great deal then this is all different but I don't think he will. He will take the money and run and I think that's the best thing for us in the short term and long.
  2. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,725 Messages
    1,068 Likes Received
    Excellent post man!
  3. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,202 Messages
    748 Likes Received
    They aren't re-signing him. In the past whenever they've actually cared about keeping a player it has been done before this point.
  4. Titleist

Titleist Active Member

472 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Exactly. No way they resign Spencer.
  5. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,155 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    We should not. We can get 3 solid players for the price of him. He is not an All Pro and shouldn't be paid like one.

Take that money and sign Brandon Moore, blocking TE and a ST ace. Use the draft to build the OL and DL.

We will be fine without Spencer.
  6. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He's defenitely a tier-A free agent, Yes he wants to return, and Yes the team wants to resign him, as they should.

No, "almost Anthony" is NOT his nickname among his peers; that came from outsiders, like fans here who don't realize how often he played in coverage as they criticize him from not rushing the passer enough.

He's among the best at sealing the edge and stuffing the run (let's not understimate the importance of that in his LDE position). And when he is asked to rush the passer - and not worry about coverage - he's at least good for an instant pressure, if not a sack.
  7. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

885 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    What a great post!

Seriously, I won't give him the money he expects even if he repeats his 2012 form five years in a row. Just say no, let him have his payday somewhere else. Upgrade others areas for the same amount of money. And get younger in the process.
  8. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,867 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    I do agree that it makes sense to resign Anthony Spencer if you have an instant gratification mind set, but I also believe that's how this team should be thinking.

Right now we have a soon to be 33 year old QB, so to me we have 2-3 years max to win a super bowl and anything beyond that window doesn't matter to me, because barring a QB "falling" in our lap like Romo did, hard times are coming. And times may be a bit harder if we resign Spencer, but make no mistake hard times are coming.

Letting Spencer walk, is the beggining of the end, of giving up on this core. And some may say we should be giving up on them now, but hiring a 76 year old defensive coordinator and extending a 33 year old QB (hasn't happened yet but will) says otherwise.
  9. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,334 Messages
    675 Likes Received

Dallas needs/wants Spencer but I just don't see it. They have to get rid of some high-priced baggage before they can consider it.

Who is more valuable, Spencer or Ratliff? Tough call.
  10. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,468 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    I honestly think it all depends on marinelli and kiffin. Do they want him back ? Do they think he can provide us what is needed in the 4-3? I don't want to break the bank on him honestly. I rather draft a guy or get Melton in the fold which maybe what marinelli has in mind
  11. irishline

irishline Member

177 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Doug Free says hello. Though that is the perfect example of why NOT to sign Spencer long term. ;)
  12. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

768 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Anthony Spencer is one of the best SOLB's in the league. Has been for years. Your premise is only based upon sacks, not system and his performance in that system.

He is not "Almost Anthony". That is someone's cute idea of words to define someone in their image.

He was a DE in college. In the 4-3 system, word around town is that he may even be better at LDE than he was last year.

So, we create a weakness by eliminating one of the top 5 to 10 guys in the entire NFL at his position so that the money can be divided in half to get 2 guys with potential?

Sorry - we need his talent.

If he were to leave, then people will be complaining about the no names we have a LDE and SAM backer and why we didn't draft well, or didn't get the right FA or why our known deficiency in the DL wasn't addressed.

I swear, some people are just never happy with anything...
  13. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,202 Messages
    748 Likes Received
    That was because he was entering free agency in the lockout season. But tell him I say hi back and that I hope he gets cut.
  14. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Now THIS is an excellent post! There are 5 marquee positions in the NFL, regardless of scheme. They are, in no particular order, QB, LT, RB, DE/OLB and WR.

We have a chance to have 2 solid bookend DEs - TWO, at a marquee position - and the suggestion in this thread is to let Spencer go, on the FALSE basis that he is not a good player?

Unbelievable!
  15. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

768 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Obviously, we are in violent agreement... :)

But, I would add that most coaches will put the CB in that top 5 marquee positions...

Combined with your top 5, I would submit we have a pretty good core if we can keep Spencer....
  16. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,308 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    While you cannot add by subtraction, paying Spencer outrageous sums of money will not make him a better player. The issue isn't whether Spencer is a pretty good player. I think we can agree he is. Its not what is a player like him going for in free agency. The most important relevant question what is the cap trade off in signing Spencer vs letting him go? The more money he signs for the greater the trade off.

Could we resign Spencer for 5 million per year? I'm sure that his market value is double that. But I think anything more than that we are overpaying for his production. That is just my opinion.

I would guess that we could get a defensive end who only sets the edge in the draft easily in the 4th round. There is no guarantee that he can even play defensive end in the NFL.

Many posters on this board get married to players sentimentally. Spencer has not been an elite player during his entire term with the Cowboys. So in my opinion he should not be treated as an elite free agent but he will probably will be paid like one.

My guess is the Cowboys know they aren't going to resign him because he will eat up cap room they don't have. I think the Cowboys are attempting to drive his free agency price tag up by saying they are trying to resign him. It makes sense on both ends.

Besides, if Spencer is as good as advertised, someone who is playing the 3-4 will sign him as a strong side defensive end and try to move him over to the weak side to see if he can get double digit sacks every year. That is worth more to them than it is to us.
  17. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,185 Messages
    1,809 Likes Received
    spencer is not under contract so by definition he is not a part of the dallas cowboys

as such, we are not "creating a weakenss by not signinig him" any more than we are creating a weakness by not signing any other FA

that weakness is already there, it not being created

also, what position exactly, is spencer "top 5-10 in the NFL at"?

3-4 OLB (which we dont need)

or

SDE in 4-3 (which he has not played in the NFL)

now, in FA/draft we have "X" amount of resources to spend and several positions or weaknesses to address and this will be one of them

i, for one, am not a fan of spencer and would not want him signed to a long-term deal
  18. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,556 Messages
    1,185 Likes Received
    I coined the phrase Almost Anthony since he seemed to almost get to the quarterback. Just something i called out when he did not make a difference in a game.

I posted it here. I never thought anyone was paying attention.

Spencer is essentially changing positions. So how can anyone suggest he is tops at his spot?

There could be logic in drafting his replacement and using FA money to hire someone for the offensive line that actually understands Romo is not one of those inflatable clowns meant to be knocked down and will bounce back up.

I do not trust players who get into contract years and blow up, especially after they have admitted they take plays off. regardless of the excuses made about that comment by some fans.
  19. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,058 Messages
    1,613 Likes Received
    I think Dallas should get him resigned. He is coming off a very good season and as a DE he will not longer be dropping off into coverage allowing him to attack. His responsiblity will change from what he has been asked to do in the past and in my view Spencer has the physical ability to play in the 4-3 successful just as he did in college where he was a DE in a 4-3 front.
  20. irishline

irishline Member

177 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Forgot about the lock out, however the point remains. They didn't resign him long-term prior to the season ending (same as Spencer) despite being able to. Given that he was a free agent once the season was over he would have been in the same position as Spencer is now without the lock-out. Oh and I agree with you on the "hope he gets cut" part.