1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Sporting News Team Report

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by junk, Jul 26, 2004.

1. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,289 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    Signing RB Eddie George allows the team to ease rookie RB Julius Jones into a starting job. The idea is to give George 12 to 15 carries a game and Jones six to 10. The team also wants Jones to handle kickoff returns. George hasn't averaged more than 3.4 yards per carry since 2000, but he'll be running behind a fullback for the first time in years, and the team will use running plays that accentuate his strengths.

S Darren Woodson is expected to miss all of training camp with a degenerative disk in his back that probably will require surgery. There's a chance he won't be ready for the start of the season. Without him, the team must rely on Tony Dixon, Lynn Scott and Keith Davis. Dixon, a tremendous hitter, will get first crack at the job.

TIGHT ENDS ANALYSIS: The team thinks second-year TE Jason Witten will be one of the league's young stars. He has the speed to get down the seam and beat linebackers one-on-one and the size and strength to beat safeties in the middle. He also is a solid blocker. Dan Campbell is one of coach Bill Parcells' favorite players because of his intensity. He's an excellent drive blocker, plays with outstanding leverage and is a good receiver. Sean Ryan was one of the best blocking tight ends in the draft. The club will use him on special teams and to help the running game. James Whalen will struggle to make the roster because he's not a physical blocker.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team?categoryId=67043
  2. chargrove

chargrove Member

600 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Why in the heck would you draft a bunch of return men late in the draft and then ask your future starting tailback to return anything on special teams? I have had it up to my eyeballs with the suddenly needed ability of every single rookie on ST's. Screw that. Hand Julius the ball and shut up.
  3. Portland Fanatic

Portland Fanatic Active Member

4,459 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I totally disagree with this statement....JJ will get 12 to 15 and EG will get 8-10 per game...

Even worse to say our future RB will return kicks...C'mon!