1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Sporting News the magazine FWIW draft buzz

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Mar 26, 2009.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,673 Messages
    1,490 Likes Received
    Dallas Cowboys to summarize. Felt that if they stay at 51 they were looking at DJ Moore Vanderbilt or Jarrius Byrd Oregon. Said they did not think Jerry would move into round one. Said they thought they would only move to the top of round two if a reciever they really liked dropped. Specifically mentioned Hakeem Nicks (but they also said Miami really likes him at 25). One more name alot of people on these boards like is Louis Delmas, said the Lions are looking hard at him top of round two. All FWIW.
  2. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Moore measured in at 5-9 and ran slow. They will not draft him. That doesn't mean he is a bad player. Bryd hasn't been able to run due to injury and long speed is a question for him. If they viewed him as a safety, then, they might look at him at 69.
  3. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    both of those players ran slow like in 5.3 range in 40, thats too slow for a cb
  4. SLATEmosphere

SLATEmosphere Benched

9,633 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ya DJ Moore is a horrible prospect. Short and slow..that's a bad combo. At least be quick and fast if your going to be a shorty.

Delmas or Smith:pray:
  5. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    DJ Moore reminds me of Brandon Flowers

not necessarily a bad thing
  6. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Yeah, I think he could fit for the right team. He played really good at WR, too. He's a good player.

I saw where Sherrod Martin put up a 3.98 short-shuttle, I think that is right. I believe his 3-cone was good, too. With him weighing at 193, I think many teams are going to view him as a CB. Newman put up a 3.83 in that drill.

Edit:

Martin weighed in at 198. His 3-cone was 6.60. Newman had a 6.88, so Martin timed better. He's showed some real good balance, change of direction, speed (4.46), or agility.

Now, he's a guy Dallas might look at as a CB/FS at 51 or 69.
  7. SLATEmosphere

SLATEmosphere Benched

9,633 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ya he's one of those tweeners that I actually like more at CB than S
  8. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    6.60 actually

ridiculous, and yes, he's probably viewed by many to be a CB, but he would be an excellent "star" player

VTech CB Victor Harris had the same short-shuttle and a 6.68 3-cone, also a Brandon Flower's clone, moreso
  9. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,685 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    Byrd and Moore that is terrible, I would be happy with about 15 names. but not those two.
  10. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Yeah, I had the wrong number and changed it. Thanks. Harris is good but I don't know about players with nicknames. EGO. I don't think we need a "Macho". LOL
  11. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We wont be drafting a CB with our 1st pick unless its somebody they can project at FS.

I'm sure we'll draft one (or maybe even two) at some point, but it wont be with our 1st pick. Especially if we only have the 1 first day pick.
  12. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Didn't Martin also have an operation on each shoulder? It was definitely something like that.

I like him as a player, but I was a bit worried about the injuries earlier in his career. But maybe it's no big deal . . . .
  13. Bigtommyb

Bigtommyb Member

371 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I love Sean Smith,but he will be gone! Sporting News is usually on point,not this time though. Terrible pick!
  14. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,988 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    Well, Miami isnt taking a WR round 1.

Looking like Britt to Philly, NJ, or Tenn late round 1. W/ Nicks falling a little. I think Robeskie goes before Nicks.
  15. Silverstar

Silverstar Active Member

3,969 Messages
    24 Likes Received

Yep, Martin tore the labrums in BOTH shoulders. This will probably drop him into the 4th and possibly the 5th round IMO.

Umm...who did we draft in the 5th last year?

:)