1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Sports Bar vs Watching At Home?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Stryker44, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

927 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    If you can't go to the game itself...do you guys prefer watching games at home with either just yourself or a family member, or go to a sports bar?

Seriously debating doing the latter for the next 2 weeks, and maybe the playoffs.
  2. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,583 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    At home. Cuz then I can cuz and yell and act like a fool and not have to worry about getting kicked out (unless I piss my wife off).
  3. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I watch at home. I can't stand being in a sports bar when the Cowboys inevitably tank. I can only remember two good games in a sports bar, against the Packers when Rodgers came on for Favre and against the Falcons a few years ago. The rest of my memory is tainted by embarrassing games, like the 34-14 loss to the Rams in 2008 and the loss to the Bears this year.
  4. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

5,453 Messages
    563 Likes Received
    If I am reasonably sure that the sound will be on for the Cowboys game, then I usually will go to a sports bar. Even if I KNOW the sound won't be on (here in the DC area...) I sometimes will still go and just watch the game, while recording it at home, Just In Case I want to watch (and listen) again later :)
  5. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,971 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    :lmao2:

I prefer watching at home as well, it's just more comfortable. I'm going to a bar tomorrow though because I have to. I'm not much of a trash talker in a bar though I just want to enjoy the game, so if I do go to a bar it's alright. Drink a couple of beers and eat some nachos then be on my merry way.
  6. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

5,453 Messages
    563 Likes Received
    Watching Pittsburgh get whomped on by us in OT at the bar last week, sitting right next to Mr. Annoying Steelers Fan, was just a great moment in the season for me :D
  7. StylisticS

StylisticS Well-Known Member

8,518 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    I go basically to an all Cowboys bar here in DC. We have some cool Redskin and Jets fans but out of he 6 or so TV's in the place, 4 has the Cowboys game every week and the majority of them are Cowboy fans.
  8. bigE79

bigE79 Active Member

2,414 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    what bar is it Stylis?
  9. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

927 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    Its the best when you're around opposing fans, they are talking smack, high-fiving, and saying "its over"...then your team somehow finds a way to win. The looks on their faces is the best. That's why I tend to go when its an important game, rivalry game, etc.

I may go tomorrow though simply because I can't get every NFL game at home, and want to keep tabs on the Cowboy game while the Redskins are playing...since the stakes are going to be HUGE the following week.

Week 17 will definitely be sport bar material for me, and any playoff games we play. I can't afford to go to any games in person this year...but it does provide some modicum of camraderie and excitement.

The one benefit of being at home, like another poster said, is being able to swear freely. At a sports bar, I always ask the people around me before the game starts if they mind if I swear (usually on defense this year for the Redskins lol). If there are kids around, I won't obviously.
  10. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

927 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    Its the best when you're around opposing fans, they are talking smack, high-fiving, and saying "its over"...then your team somehow finds a way to win. The looks on their faces is the best. That's why I tend to go when its an important game, rivalry game, etc.

I may go tomorrow though simply because I can't get every NFL game at home, and want to keep tabs on the Cowboy game while the Redskins are playing...since the stakes are going to be HUGE the following week.

Week 17 will definitely be sport bar material for me, and any playoff games we play. I can't afford to go to any games in person this year...but it does provide some modicum of camraderie and excitement to have some sort of crowd to watch the game with.

The one benefit of being at home, like another poster said, is being able to swear freely. At a sports bar, I always ask the people around me before the game starts if they mind if I swear (usually on defense this year for the Redskins lol). If there are kids around, I won't obviously.
  11. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    At home. I can't stand distractions while watching the Cowboys. I feel the need to give it my full attention and concentration. I know it's selfish but I even prefer to watch the games alone as opposed to with friends.
  12. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,731 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    I try not to go to bars and watch the game. I've been to jail twice because of Cowboy games. Not to mention the multiple fights. Usually don't turn out good for me
  13. Derekmtl85

Derekmtl85 Well-Known Member

1,233 Messages
    332 Likes Received
    At home = comfort, free food and drinks, bigger screen and i usually invite a couple friends over, although my wife is starting to become a cowboys fan so she watches the games with me now.

At a bar = everything costs a lot, you can get kicked out, people talking all around.

Way better at home, in my opinion.
  14. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,971 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    :laugh2: C'mon guys.

This is why America needs to follow the wise states of Colorado and Washington.
  15. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,876 Messages
    2,050 Likes Received
    This is the best.

I wanna watch and listen to whats going on. If other people are around somebody is always making a dumb comment or asking a dumb question and its distracting.

Sports bar only as a last resort if no other options are available.
  16. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    home ALL THE WAY....not even close. Follow it online in the chat room on here and usually have music one: can't stand 95% of the commentators.....morons. By myself 99% of the time: I live in Michigan which is a pro football wasteland. But like MOST other NFL fans, they hate the cowboys as they've never won ANYTHING.:rolleyes:

.....Most Lions fans won't admit it but they've given up over the years and become Packer fans, Bear fans, and even Viking fans. As for me, my Grandpa was from Brownsville, TX so at least I have a legit connection. i went to the sports bar for the FIRST time all season last week and the Packer fans were unbearable....obnoxious tools right and left. Women were worse than the men strangely enough. Left after a couple hours.
  17. StylisticS

StylisticS Well-Known Member

8,518 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    Penache off Connecticut Ave NW not far from Farragut North.
  18. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

2,008 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    Home. I can focus on the game there. I live next door to a sports bar, and I used to go there for Thursday games until TW started carrying NFL Network(so driving isn't a part of the deal). At the bar there are just too many distractions.