1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Twitter: SS Roy Williams on his love of the game, safer techniques, and his legacy...w/audio Post #6

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 28, 2013.

1. The Quest for Six

The Quest for Six Well-Known Member

6,864 Messages
    610 Likes Received
    Roy Williams couldn't cover his own shadow, spent too much time trying to blow up people instead of just wrapping up and making the play. He was good for two years when Woody was around but after that was just a guy at safety, Got exposed time and time again out in space....Roy's Washington game collapse was the telling story of his career...
  2. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received

His injury report speaks for itself. No one outside of Dallas or OU fans will tell you that Roy was not dirty.
  3. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,799 Likes Received
    I want to see one clip of him playing dirty. Just one.
  4. DezBRomo9

DezBRomo9 Not enough blitzing.. Zone Supporter

1,636 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Headhunter yes, intentionally hurting players Gregg Williams style, no.

Roy's passion just wasn't there when he couldn't just outhit everyone. Everyone remember the Roy to LB and DT rumors when he put on weight?
  5. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,255 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    Good for you Roy. I wish you the best of luck. I'm sure there is plenty of hating going on in this thread. I've never understood the hatred and venom for Cowboys no longer on the team.
  6. Bwareinrings94

Bwareinrings94 Active Member

574 Messages
    158 Likes Received
    Great hitter and tackler. He and Sean Taylor at the time were the physical standard of strong safeties. While he reduced the likes of Shaun Alexander, Amani Toomer and an aged Emmitt to jello, it's hard to forget how Santana Moss, Shockey and other tight ends exposed his abilities in space.
  7. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    I thought it was more of the game evolving away from his type of safety rather than the rule changes that derailed him in Dallas. He become a liability in the passing game. Then breaking the same arm twice didn't help much either. But yeah............it was them pesky rules. Now he can eat all the biscuits he wants.
  8. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

2,770 Messages
    328 Likes Received
    I still remember him knocking the Giants receiver sensless on the sideline after he mouthed off to him. I think it was Toomer. Roy just gave him the trademark shoulder into the chest and almost knocked his helmet off.
  9. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,140 Messages
    6,922 Likes Received
    I think it was a combination of both the rule changes and the passing game changes. But the rule changes did put a bullseye on him so that he was beginning to play more tentative which caught him more flat-footed than not.

As for the biscuits remark, well, he actually still look in pretty good shape and seems content with where he is in life. Got a couple of adorable little girls and whatnot.
  10. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
  11. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Don't see how people can criticize him for being "too dirty" when usually this team is criticized for being too soft.

I remember on Hard Knocks, we were scrimmaging with Denver and he got pissed that the Broncos were hitting harder than the guidelines the coaches had laid out, and he said he was going to get some revenge. And he did.

I don't see how that's a bad thing This team could use more players with that mean streak who love to hit, not less of them.
  12. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,799 Likes Received
    Not what I asked for. Players also have voted Tony Romo one of the most underrated and overrated players in the league at different times, so that's not exactly a credible source.

Someone, somewhere, show me some evidence of RW being a dirty player.

And for the record, I dont consider the horse collar a dirty play before they changed the rule, so dont bother.
  13. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    I was shootin for a cheap laugh sorta, seems like I remember weight being an issue way back there. He could prolly out run me while toting his little girls and eating a biscuit so don't mistake me for one of those fans that throws players under the bus and calls them bums cause they have a bad year, I hated to see him go too.
  14. ChronicCowboy

ChronicCowboy Member

88 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    As an OU alum, Roy was one of my favorites. I was a freshman when he led us to a title in 2001. When the Cowboys drafted him in 2002 I was ecstatic. The first few years in the NFL were excellent for Roy but I think he burned out after that. Football was never his first love.
  15. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,768 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    Miss this guy big time. This team could of and still could use a few old Roy's on the team.. Dude knew how football was "supposed" to be played. Had some fun years watching him play. I hope the best for him and the "dirty" player nonsense is just that, nonsense. I am sure most would think C. Harris would be dirty nowadays as well. Gimme a break.
  16. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,717 Messages
    357 Likes Received
    Football is a hard sport, the powers essentially legislated Roy out of the game. In his prime he was a force of nature that put fear in the offense. I am glad that he is well adjusted off of the field. Way to go Roy!
  17. dreghorn2

dreghorn2 Well-Known Member

1,113 Messages
    191 Likes Received
    Roy's first season highlight video is one of the best Cowboy vids ever.

When he first came into the league that guy could flat out play.
  18. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

4,361 Messages
    747 Likes Received
    Like the cheap shot that broke Emmitt's collarbone? Or the cheap shot that sent Laverenues Coles flying ten yards (still can't believe that dude is alive after that shot). Those weren't cheap shots, those were seek and destroy shots. He was just a bad mamba jamba.
  19. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,209 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    I remembered this from years ago. Looking back, he was right.

Burress said after the game. "He can't cover ... That's been (Williams') rap since he came in the league. He's a 250-pound ankle tackler. That's what he is. And horse collars, too."
    ...When discussing Roy as a `big-hitter', Plaxico said this:
    "He is, when you ain't looking," Burress said. "He'll sock you when you ain't looking. Look at how he tackles guys coming straight at him and guys that are not looking. He's a different football player."

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2006/12/1/12814/0243
  20. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received
    Wasted talent.. He was much quicker and looked thinner when he came in the league and was lighting people up...