1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

SSS Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by sureletsrace, Apr 17, 2012.

1. sureletsrace

sureletsrace Official CZ Homer

1,712 Messages
    113 Likes Received
    I'm using SDogo's new spreadsheet to assemble a quick mock. Thanks SD for the spreadsheet. Not doing any trades, and as much as I want to, I will not take any players before the Cowboys pick according to his spreadsheet.

14- Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina- DeCastro, Cox, and Barron are all gone by pick 14. I'm not allowing trades in my mock, so I take the best talent available. I give the guy the benefit of the doubt on his supposed 'work ethic' and 'motor' issues. Even with these problems, he's probably still a day one starter for the Cowboys. The bust potential is there, but his ceiling is absolutely unreal.

45- Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama- While we're rolling the dice, we might as well just go all in on the boom or bust factor. He could be the next Pacman Jones, or he could be a top-10 CB in the league. At this point in the draft, his skills are a humongous steal, just get the guy a babysitter.

81- Ben Jones, C, Georgia- Slotted on the spreadsheet at 81. How perfect. Provides a legitimate competitor for the starting C job come kickoff.

113- Michael Egnew, TE, Missouri- TE depth. Could be very special.

135- Josh Norman- CB, Iowa State- Very good CB depth, and a potential future starter.

152- Chris Rainey, RB, Florida- RB/KR/PR extraordinaire. Finally.

186- Vontaze Burfict, ILB, Arizona State- This deep in the draft, I take a flyer on him in a heartbeat. Best case scenario? You clean him up a little and he's the next Ray Lewis. Worst case scenario? You wasted a 6th round pick.

222- Donte Paige-Moss, OLB, North Carolina- Another boom-or-bust pass rusher from North Carolina. Could be scary good.

If even 2-3 of the 5 defensive players panned out, this draft would be an absolute kill.
  2. neosapien23

neosapien23 Well-Known Member

2,762 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    I would not take Jenkins with a 2nd round pick. Hell I don't even know if I would take a gamble with a 4th rounder. I would not compare him to PacMan Jones because he is not a thug. He is however and irresponsible stoner and a more fair comparison would be like Ricky Williams although at a different position. He will most likely be out of the league in 3-4 years and it will not be because of talent.
  3. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Eww. :blech:
  4. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,194 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    I don't want Coples, Jenkins, or Burfict in any round. Now matter how they pan out as players, you still have to live with them in your locker room. Bad attitudes are contagious, and all those guys scream trouble.
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,853 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    I would not lump Coples with those other two, but he sure was rolling the dice
  6. Sitting Bull

Sitting Bull Active Member

1,433 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This.
  7. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,866 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    This is the type of draft we have been moving away from. It's good and has several steals, but you definately didn't factor in character. Coples has some serious concerns and depending how the board shakes out, I'd take him, but then that would be it. No Jenkins, no Burfict (whom I wouldn't draft at all) and no Paige-Moss. I really like Ben Jones (outside of us ignoring him and personally think we will take Blake), Egnew, Rainey and Norman, but 1, 2, 6, and 7 were very risky picks.
  8. TheKey

TheKey Faster than Felix

2,596 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Rainey...must be our time to die
  9. Corleone

Corleone Well-Known Member

1,031 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    I love Coples and would be happy with that pick. I wouldn't be upset with taking Jenkins at #2 but he may not be worth the risk even with Mike Jenkins possibly leaving next year. I would rather take a Center/Guard or Safety in the 2nd round but the safety class is nonexistent behind Barron.
  10. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,844 Messages
    856 Likes Received
    How many stoners have bombed out of the league?

Ricky Williams cobbled together one heck of an overall career with over 10k rushing yards.

Irvin, Sapp, Moss. Florida boys tend to smoke them some weed and play them some football....
  11. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,381 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I'd take Jenkins at 45 and draft a corner behind him in the 4th or 5th. We have the open roster spots and need the bodies to fill out a roster anyway.

He is not lazy. He is not violent (paging Mr. Talib on the pewter courtesy phone). He is pretty much stoner that loves him some women and is great at his job. That pretty much makes him my neighbor, but substitute medical sales with corner back.

I doubt I'd sign him to a big guaranteed money second contract but I'd rent him for 4 years, franchise him the 5th and wish he and his kids the best of luck at 28 or 29. He is every bit the man cover guy Hayden is. Hire a hall monitor to follow him around. Do what you have to but the guy is a heck of a player. Is is harder on your coaches and organization to get it out of him than a Claiborne? Sure. But that is not a reason to not draft him at 45.