1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ST: Cowboys had Ware crashing line to stop cutback, not watching out for a Peyton bootleg

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Oct 7, 2013.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

32,613 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    DeMarcus Ware was out of position to stop Peyton Manning’s bootleg because they Cowboys didn’t have him looking for it.

“It was a great sales job,” coach Jason Garrett said of the surprise touchdown play by Manning, which he pulled out of the air on his own. “DeMarcus Ware came down the line of scrimmage. That’s what we asked him to do. It’s something they haven’t shown before, and they did a good job. He came down and was going to try to defend the cutback – if the ball cut up, he’s there to make the play.”

Instead, Manning faked the handoff, kept the ball and looped back around the left end vacated by Ware. Only linebacker Bruce Carter saw Manning, but too late, and he was too far away.

The 37-year-old Manning ambled in on a gentle run.

Asked if it was the slowest touchdown he’d ever seen scored, Garrett allowed himself a smile and said, “Painfully slow.”

-- Carlos Mendez

Twitter @calexmendez

Continue reading...
  2. RoboQB

RoboQB Active Member

463 Messages
    168 Likes Received
    If he would've stayed "at home" and contained, he still could've made a play had the RB cut up... This is just coachspeak for protecting their player.....or they're too stupid.

Sorry. I'm not buying it.

I guess after throwing Romo under the bus, Garrett decided to stick up for Ware.
  3. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,552 Messages
    1,813 Likes Received
    I believe that they had him doing this b/c they did the exact same thing against RG3 last year. Granted, the QBs aren't the same, but there is a precedent.
  4. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,770 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    It was a great play.
    . All the credit goes to the Broncos.. No excuses.
    I doubt Ware catches on quickly enough to it anyhow.
  5. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Ware was Manning's key. It was a great playcall... something no one would have ever expected
  6. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Great day for qb's