1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ST: Cowboys requiring linemen to wear knee braces

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by NewsBot, Jun 17, 2014.

1. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

2,711 Messages
    305 Likes Received
    thses are custom made for each player and are state of the art. they weigh almmost nothing and by using them in camp i think that takes care of the psyc part of wearing them. they don't stop most injuries but they may prevent some and make other less damaging. amything that helps get guys on the field on sundays is a good thing
  2. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Active Member

977 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    Custom knee braces are no big deal. They are molded to fit each individual. I wore one for a year in college after I blew out my ACL and MCL. I was a running back. The only real issue I had was having to tighten up the straps a couple times a game.

A lineman should have no issues at all with wearing them.
    Doc50 likes this.
  3. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,638 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    I know but players barely want to wear pads because psychologically it impacts their speed even though it has negligible affect. Players have been trying to wear less stuff for the longest, it is the coach's job to make sure they do. Kudos to Red...
  4. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,620 Messages
    4,891 Likes Received
    If he begins saying "Lookit" a lot and starts giving horse racing/boxing analogies at press conferences, we know he has really turned the corner.
  5. MartinRamone

MartinRamone Well-Known Member

1,470 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    If it doesnt hurt... dont see why anyone would be against this.
  6. dogunwo

dogunwo Waves that make you sea-sick

5,528 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    I see what you did there
  7. Alexander

24,620 Messages
    4,891 Likes Received
    I do not think that is the question but more why did it take this long? Better late than never.
  8. dogunwo

dogunwo Waves that make you sea-sick

5,528 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    Or making weird references to Italian food .
  9. Alexander

24,620 Messages
    4,891 Likes Received
    A good Cannoli does not exist in Dallas. We know this.
    dogunwo and jobberone like this.
  10. hra8700

hra8700 Active Member

806 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    Its not about weight. A knee brace works by restricting movement (in this case mostly laterally i assume). That same knee movement is what allows elite athletes to change direction rapidly. The cost of wearing a brace is that it will inhibit performance and there's a chance it will weaken the muscles that normally support the knee, thus being counterproductive for injuries. I guarantee you lesean mccoy has ridiculous ligamentous laxity in his knee. When he is making cuts, his knee is bending (knees are designed for a certain amount of lateral bend...if they you wouldnt be able to make cuts).

Its still up in the air whether it prevents injury. But it certainly, at least slightly, affects movement/performance.
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,507 Messages
    6,258 Likes Received
    What's fun is complaining about every decision that gets made. Anything new: we should have been doing it already. Anything old: we should have been doing it the other way. This way, we can criticize literally everything and should be in good position to say "I told you so" when something goes wrong.

I heard Jason put his arm around Zack Martin and told him "I'd die before I let you fail!"
    WoodysGirl likes this.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,804 Messages
    1,699 Likes Received
    "Leave the gun, take the Canollis."
  13. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,543 Messages
    819 Likes Received
    The league and the chargers had all the charger players wear them for 2 years and found no difference in the amount of sprains and strains.
  14. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,562 Messages
    3,845 Likes Received
    They do not restrict nl movement. Knees r not built for significant lateral movement nor ant/post.
    Doc50 likes this.
  15. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,072 Messages
    1,266 Likes Received
    Todd Archer (@toddarcher)

6/18/14, 12:26 PM
    How serious is this knee brace deal? DC Rod Marinelli is wearing them in practice. Funny.
  16. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,850 Messages
    694 Likes Received
    I'm waiting for him to refer to Orton as "the player."
    dogunwo likes this.
  17. Doc50

Doc50 Original Fan Zone Supporter

754 Messages
    233 Likes Received
    Change of direction comes from foot-plant and leg & core strength -- not from ligamental flexibility.

Today's braces allow full normal range-of-motion, and restrict inappropriate motion which would stretch or tear connective tissue, thus preventing injuries. We will likely see a complete set of braces evolve into an exoskeleton of sorts if the lawyers let us continue to play this game at all.
    Look for helmets with exterior crush material in the near future.
    jobberone likes this.
  18. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,638 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    Only childish people approach a discussion like that...oh well.
    SilverStarCowboy likes this.
  19. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,464 Messages
    398 Likes Received
    First thing you should think of is Martin a real football player, Parcells is 2nd he was a real football Coach. ... next up Ballet Bars.
    jobberone likes this.