1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ST: Hatcher says yes, he'll test the market after the season, but wants to focus on the season...

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Dec 3, 2013.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

19,003 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    Defensive tackle Jason Hatcher says sure, he’s going to test the market after the season. But right now, he wants to think about what remains of the season.

“Oh, I’m going to test the market. I’m going to test the market,” he told reporters Tuesday, asked if that was his plan. “You guys just leave me alone about my contract. I just want to focus on, I’m a Cowboy. I’m not trying to think about that. I’ll let it take care of itself when it happens.

“I’ve got four games to play, to be the best 3-technique in the league, help my team go to the playoffs. That’s my approach.”

Executive vice president Stephen Jones said last week that Hatcher, leading the Cowboys in sacks and tackles for loss, has outperformed his contract. Asked if he had heard that, Hatcher smiled big and said, “Absolutely I did. Thank you, Stephen, for recognizing that.”

Asked for his thoughts about the Cowboys recognizing his performance, Hatcher said, “I think it’s awesome, man. I just don’t want to talk about my contract. I just want to focus on these next couple of games and let the chips falls where they may. I’m not worried about it. I think my play will take care of everything it is. There’s nothing you can really do about the situation about my contract. So no needing to talk about it.”

On his radio show Tuesday, owner Jerry Jones said a new contract for Hatcher “presents some challenges for us during this season, but boy, has he had a great year.”

Jones lauded Hatcher’s leadership.

“Nothing short of phenomenal,” Jones said.

-- Carlos Mendez

Twitter @calexmendez

Continue reading...
  2. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    No comment hatch. C'mon man.
  3. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

2,658 Messages
    219 Likes Received
  4. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,343 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    He's a free agent after the season. What else is he supposed to do but enter the market? He has no contrct with the Cowboys or any other team and will be looking for a job. So, yeah, he's going to be doing a lot more than 'testing' the market. I highly doubt the Cowboys can offer him much unless and until they clear cap space.

If the Cowboys want to keep him, they will have to pay market value unless he gives the Cowboys a discount. Which is highly unlikely since he overperformed on his last contract.
  5. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

6,747 Messages
    1,434 Likes Received
    30+ year old DL = red flag
    Suddenly having best year of his career in a contract year = red flag
    Suddenly becoming a 'vocal leader' in a contract year = red flag

High risk low reward in my book
  6. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,566 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    I want to see Hatcher resigned, but I definitely agree. I don't think it was a lack of effort, because he was in a contract year, three years ago, but I don't think it's all just the scheme change.
  7. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

6,747 Messages
    1,434 Likes Received
    It might be the scheme and he may play at a high level for 2-3 more years but the odds are against it IMO
  8. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,566 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    I'd be happy with 6-8 sacks. That's actually really good for a DT, unless they are a horrible run defender.
  9. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

2,712 Messages
    842 Likes Received
    I don't blame him for the comments, someone asked him and it sounds like he tried to shut it down....and, of course he is going to test the market, he would be an idiot to NOT do that after his likely pro-bowl season....I can't see him coming back unless he wants to give some type of discount as I expect him to get better deals elsewhere...but, any new contract from Dallas could be back-loaded a bit to fit him in for next season where we are in cap hell....again, can't see it but would not be opposed to him being back
  10. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

3,640 Messages
    909 Likes Received
    He'll probably get big bucks somewhere.
  11. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

5,644 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    He's just being honest. I want him back. But with all that money the Deadskins got......
  12. Szczepanik

Szczepanik Active Member

499 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    I want him back. He deserves to be back. I don't want to have flashbacks of Chris Canty playing for our rival. Hatcher is a good cowboy. We would have NO D-LINE DEPTH if he left.
  13. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

10,967 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    Sounds like a guy looking for a big payday. I'm usually weary of guys that always seem to break out in a contract year. For some strange and odd reason, they often somehow never can play as good as that year again after getting paid. If he want to get paid, good for him. But let some other team write the check.
  14. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

2,993 Messages
    355 Likes Received
    Let him go. We've seen this too many times. Don't fall for it Jerry.
    TonyS likes this.
  15. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,252 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    While I'd like him back, this would be the exact same type of contract we've been burned on numerous times in the past, paying big bucks for an aging star. The odds are on letting another team foot the bill here. Too bad, though. Hatcher's been phenomenal.
  16. erod

erod Well-Known Member

3,900 Messages
    926 Likes Received
    For the right price, I'd sign him and Spencer. But don't jump in a bidding war. Don't take that risk.
  17. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,138 Messages
    204 Likes Received
    he should test the market and another team should deal with the 'dead money' cap hit after about 2-3 years.