1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ST: Terrance Williams feels like he let people down, but he was trying to make a play

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Sep 29, 2013.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

25,177 Messages
    190 Likes Received
    Terrance Williams blamed himself for losing the ball to ruin the Cowboys’ chance for a comeback against the Chargers.

“I was just trying to make a play,” he said. “It just didn’t turn out the way I wanted it to. I just feel like I let a whole bunch of people down.”

Williams had seven catches for 71 yards, both team highs, on eight targets, after dropping the first pass that came his way.

“Really was playing fairly well in the ballgame,” coach Jason Garrett said. “He had an early drop, then he came back and made some plays for us, allowed us to move the football. He’s good at that kind of a play, and he was trying to break a tackle and get into the end zone. Their guy made a good play, from what I could tell, to knock the ball out.”

Dez Bryant did not want Williams to feel bad. He shielded him from reporters initially, although Williams composed himself enough later for interviews.

“I was just feeding off what Jason and Demarco and Tony and Dez were telling me, and Dwayne,” Williams said. “I felt like I was having a pretty good game. Was trying to make a play at the end. Just didn’t go the way I wanted it to.”

Bryant said he told Williams to keep his head up and that bad plays don’t determine who a player is.

“Don’t let a bad play dictate what you can do,” Bryant said he told Williams. “I feel like – don’t feel it, I know – he’s a great player. It’s just something you’ve got to let go and move on to the next. … Everybody’s not perfect. The best of the best can have bad games. It’s just something that you’ve just got to let go and move forward.”

Williams said it was a learning moment.

“I’m a rookie,” he said. “People are going to blow it up to a whole new level. It’s fine. I was just trying to go out there and just make a play. Just next time in that situation, just get down.”

-- Carlos Mendez

Twitter @calexmendez

Continue reading...
  2. JPostSam

JPostSam Active Member

996 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    nice to see dez stepping up and supporting the younger player.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,315 Messages
    1,798 Likes Received
    Williams just need to shake this off and move on. He is young he made a mistake don't let the mistake slow you down.
    Hook'em#11 likes this.
  4. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,875 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    I really hope the coaches' message to him is that it was a mistake to put the ball out like that in that certain situation and not, "oh well, stuff happens when you try to make a play".
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,309 Messages
    6,287 Likes Received
    He played well. I'm not down on him at all.
    Hook'em#11, Doomsday and CowboyStar88 like this.
  6. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,059 Messages
    215 Likes Received
    Same here. I thought he played well. Obviously the fumble was a killer. But otherwise he stepped up and had a solid game.

and who are we kidding...our defense really was going to stop SD if we scored that TD???? Of course not....
  7. DuceizBak

DuceizBak Active Member

424 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    He played well..

I actually think we would of. Hindsight is always 20 20 but we were playing wayy too soft in the end
  8. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,641 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    There was so much blame in 2nd half, you can't say any one or two or three people lost the game. It was a total team effort in 2nd half to play like crap.
  9. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

4,591 Messages
    1,287 Likes Received
    He'll learn. He did play well.
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,667 Messages
    4,539 Likes Received
    I like the player a lot. But he fumbled the ball on an effort to get an unnecessary yard on the goal line. It was a huge mistake in that game.

I'm glad to see Dez trying to cover for him, and I like hearing how much the team thinks of him, but we punch that ball in on that drive, and we've still got an outside chance at a game winning drive with the onsides kick. NFL games come down to passing effectiveness and ball control. I don't think we should chalk carelessness up to a learning experience. That fumble was a lot more consequential than the good things he did in San Diego.
  11. lostar2009

lostar2009 Active Member

629 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    Another turnover killed this team. Bench the rookie the first quarter of next game. But as of now I'm more concern about our D then Williams.
  12. Staubacher

Staubacher Well-Known Member

1,549 Messages
    1,001 Likes Received
    So Garrett has gone from benching guys for fumbles (Murray, Dunbar) to excusing a fumble that cost us a chance to win the game.

Garrett needs to go
  13. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,474 Messages
    973 Likes Received
    God, posts like this make my head hurt. You seriously don't see the difference between a veteran RB fumbling a routine carry and a rookie WR fumbling while trying to make a play? Seriously?
  14. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,667 Messages
    4,539 Likes Received
    This is a case of the HC managing a young player, not of the coach not understanding how important it is not to fumble on the one yard line. Nothing is served by making it worse for Williams in the press. But you know the team appreciates how important it is not to make a stupid play like that too far from the goal line and in traffic. It was a costly, costly mental error, and not excusable just because the kid is a rookie with a lot of potential. If he's getting snaps and getting looks in the offense, he needs to take much better care of that ball. No excuses.
  15. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,605 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    Yeah, cause that is gonna help the young player.. And, who is taking William's place? Banged up Harris? Beasely? HAHAHA... Oh, wait. how bout they throw in that overrated, over paid, injury prone, disappear in games WHEN healthy, Austin..Yeah, he did a bang up job there.
  16. Staubacher

1,549 Messages
    1,001 Likes Received
    Well take an advil because Garrett sucks. Williams has been killing us all year with bad routes, drops and now goal line fumbles. He's not a baby and it's not ok because he's a rookie. Your analogy stinks it makes less sense to bench a vet like Murray for a rare fumble. Williams is a mistake machine. Seattle has an undrafted rookie named Williams who isn't playing like an idiot. Williams is killing us out there and Garrett should be po'd but he's a soft lousy coach
  17. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,580 Messages
    426 Likes Received
    Wow. This may be the most over-the-top post I've ever seen here, and that's saying a lot. Rookies make mistakes; get used to it. Receivers take time to develop: they always have and they always will. The fact that occasionally a Randy Moss takes the league by storm has nothing to do with a typical rookie experience.

And the Seattle thing: huh? Seattle doesn't have an undrafted rookie named Williams. They don't have an undrafted rookie who's touched the ball at all.
  18. Staubacher

1,549 Messages
    1,001 Likes Received
    Rookies make mistakes. Wow what insight. No duh. Try to comprehend we're talking about how Garrett deals with mistakes and how many Williams has made. His few catches haven't been worth the destruction his numerous bonehead mistakes have caused. Not all rookies have lousy hands and are this repeatedly stupid. "Trying to make a play".

Please with covering for Garrett. He was a career third stringer mostly. He has no clue how to deal w players and make them successful.
  19. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,245 Messages
    1,833 Likes Received
    Bad mistake. Massive really.

He had a drive killing drop in a game when chances for the offense were limited due to the defesne not beaing able to stop anyone. Then the fumble on the 1 yard line was devastating.
    I keep hearing the offense couldn't score, but that was 7 more right there.

Otherwise, the kid did make a few decent catches...and he is just a kid.

I'm glad to see people are supporting him going forward.

Howver, I do think he has been somewhat annointed without earning it.

For whatever reason, Garrett has been slow to catch on to what harris brings to the game.
    Even in the two straight preseasons when Harris lead the team in about everything, Garrett seemed to dismiss it to some degree.
    I think Harris' special teams play has helped him gain some respect though.

It just seems that one player has had to scratch and claw while the other is having it anded to him. Williams may very well end u the better player, but it just seems odd.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  20. lostar2009

lostar2009 Active Member

629 Messages
    91 Likes Received

Well the kid gotta learn. A quarter of football isn't going to hurt much. These young guys need to be taught about turnovers or they'll brush it off like Romo