1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ST: Wilcox salutes memory of deceased mother, impresses Kiffin and teammates in first start at...

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Sep 23, 2013.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

25,712 Messages
    191 Likes Received
    Rookie J.J. Wilcox pointed to the sky as he was introduced with the starters Sunday. It was his first NFL start, and he was sure his mother was watching.

“That’s what my point was for,” Wilcox said. “Towards her. She truly is missed.”

“He did a nice job,” defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin said. “He had a setback with his mother, which is totally understandable. He’d had a good off-season. In Oxnard, he played pretty well. But he missed some time and it’s hard. Will Allen has done a nice job. We respect the job Will Allen has done. Will’s been a great help to the young guys. But we wanted to get J.J. out there, because he does have a lot of ability. If you don’t play those young guys, you’ll never know. Don’t put them out there in the 10th game of the year. Find out if they can play.”

“He’s a good player,” linebacker Sean Lee said. “He’s been showing it all camp that he’s got ability to find the football. He can hit. He knows how to play the game. It’s just getting him some experience, which I think him out there will only help him.”

-- Charean Williams

Continue reading...
  2. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,656 Messages
    325 Likes Received
    This is good news indeed.
  3. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,867 Messages
    3,340 Likes Received
    This is just soooooooo refreshing to read.
    Wheeltax, justbob and Idgit like this.
  4. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,129 Messages
    1,389 Likes Received
    Yes it is. That has been one of my biggest complaints with the Cowboys for a number of years. They simply would not put young guys out there... unless they were first round picks.

I love how this staff on both sides of the ball is putting the best players out there, regardless of where or when they were drafted, and no matter how young they are.

Just another example of a healthy franchise being run the right way.
    pjtoadie, justbob and Staubacher like this.
  5. Staubacher

Staubacher Well-Known Member

1,573 Messages
    1,034 Likes Received
    The worm has turned
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,417 Messages
    6,475 Likes Received
    Totally agree.
  7. Cowboy06

Cowboy06 Active Member

357 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    I couldn't be happier for a player. Now we just need to find another young safety to pair with him.
  8. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,794 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    hmmmm..... Trolling much?
  9. Cowboy06

Cowboy06 Active Member

357 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    I"m old..."watcha saying?" Just like the player and happy he's seemingly working out.
  10. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,814 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    Is Barry Church an old guy?
    JBell523 and Irvin88_4life like this.
  11. Cowboy06

Cowboy06 Active Member

357 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    Only 25 so not old. However, I am not overly impressed. Just call it the "it" factor. Is he decent? Yes. However, I just don't think he's a safety that will do special things. Just my opinion. To be honest, I would like Church in more of a nickel situation. He reminds me of Bill Bates. You won't out work him and he's smart. However, he just doesn't seem to have that special something that shows up in the big moments.

What's your take? His he someone you want there for the long haul? If so, why? If not, what do you want to see more of?
  12. PoetTree

PoetTree Active Member

339 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    This is the second or third article I've read that stated Wilcox started at Strong Safety. What gives? IS BArry Church not our starting Strong Safety, and Will Allen (who Wilcox replaced) our Free? Why do they keep saying Wilcox is the Strong??
  13. Cowboy06

Cowboy06 Active Member

357 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    Wilcox is listed as the SS. Church is the FS. However, sure seems like they both play either side.
  14. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,814 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    I think he has looked pretty outstanding. He's around the ball all the time, sure tackler, and gets himself in position to make plays.

In a perfect world, he'd end up more as the SS and JJ the FS, and I think thats possible when the staff gets more comfortable with JJ. Either way, I think the two of them can be a great pair.
    Cowboy06 likes this.
  15. Passepartout

Passepartout Member

306 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    He will be one heck of a player. Good he got the win for his mother. Who indeed has to be so proud up in the sky.
  16. Cowboy06

Cowboy06 Active Member

357 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    Hey if it works out, it's win win. No hate for the player, just haven't seen the "it" factor. However, I'm no coach and just a fan tired of always being next years champion.
  17. shank

shank Member

48 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    how long has it been since someone else was saying that. I under-estimated Kiffin.
  18. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,094 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    If he keeps playing well, Safety will not be a weakness. If so, what exactly is our weakness on defense? I'm not seeing anything. And thats a damn good sign.
    Irvin88_4life likes this.
  19. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,656 Messages
    325 Likes Received
    Wilcox will improve as he gets experience, he has limited experience in playing safety.
  20. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    Church doesn't have the (it) factor? What safety tandem does have two guys with it? Ungrateful Cowboy fans, what a shock. Guy plays smart,hard and doesn't get paid much and still want him gone.
    CowboyStar88 likes this.